You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Linefeeder

Torp Bombers That Fly Through Mountains

19 comments in this topic

Linefeeder    2

OK, so I usually pilot ships with crappy AA and I have learned to be alert for planes and zig, zag, turn into them when they are close to attacking and even take a course near  mountain islands to prevent an assault from that direction. Well, the other night, near the end of a match,I'm not more than a few hundred feet from a tall mountain island when a torp squadron attacks and magically torps appear in front of this mountain and delete me broadside. It took me a few moments to realize this had actually happened. There's no way in the real world a plane can descend through rock and once torps are released, suddenly arm themselves. So, there's two bugs in one here... flying through obstacles, and instant torp arming. Has anyone ever experienced this? If there are a lot of  affirmative replies, this is a real issue that the design team needs to correct.  

RipNuN2    1,942

Your perspective while driving probably had it appear that the mountains were closer than you thought. If you have a replay that can help you see how this happened from the viewpoint of the planes.

kerensky914    1,010

Actually, this is common.  WoWS scales the ships up considerably (objects in the monitor are smaller than they appear!) so the end result is you are not as close to the island as it looks.  So long as there is enough water for the torpedoes to have enough room for minimum arming distance, they'll get you.  Bottom line, you cannot assume an island will protect you from torpedo planes, because in many cases it will not.  On the plus side, your AA fire goes thru the same mountain, as does radar and hydro, so there's that.

Working as intended, nothing to fix here.

Sovereigndawg    495
34 minutes ago, Linefeeder said:

,I'm not more than a few hundred feet from a tall mountain island when a torp squadron attacks and magically torps appear in front of this mountain and delete me broadside.

26 minutes ago, RipNuN2 said:

Your perspective while driving probably had it appear that the mountains were closer than you thought. If you have a replay that can help you see how this happened from the viewpoint of the planes.

Since this is only your second post let me tell you right now that Rip and every one else will ask for proof on whatever you describe, especially if you use a word like magically. Not saying what you described didn't happen. Just saying we need replays of the fantastic stuff people say.

Sweetsie    212

Just had it happen to me on the map North, he was on the other side of the island in between B and C and as soon as it was launched I was detected. It had barely cleared his deck. Now I could see it too and shot it down quickly, but he detected me through 5k of rock. 

Edit, my bad his was a catapult fighter but still the through mountain issue exists.

Edited by Sweetsie

cometguy    460

The scaling in the game is so bizarre, that you shouldn't trust your own judgement on distances. Aerial torps travel around a kilometer before they arm.

Raptor_alcor    1,457

OP, you do know that the bombers are purely aesthetic and are used only as a data point from which  the torpedos spawn yes? They could LITERALLY be corgies, cactuses, hell they could be giant floating airfields and it'd be as valid in the coding. I'm surprised you haven't noticed that sometimes dive bombers go into the ocean after a drop. 

Gen_Saris    119
4 hours ago, kerensky914 said:

Actually, this is common.  WoWS scales the ships up considerably (objects in the monitor are smaller than they appear!) so the end result is you are not as close to the island as it looks.  So long as there is enough water for the torpedoes to have enough room for minimum arming distance, they'll get you.  Bottom line, you cannot assume an island will protect you from torpedo planes, because in many cases it will not.  On the plus side, your AA fire goes thru the same mountain, as does radar and hydro, so there's that.

Working as intended, nothing to fix here.

This.

Distance scale in this game is WAY off. Torps take 1km or so to arm, but 1km in game is virtually right on top of your ship.

AraAragami    5,028
4 hours ago, cometguy said:

The scaling in the game is so bizarre, that you shouldn't trust your own judgement on distances. Aerial torps travel around a kilometer before they arm.

And a common mistake made by new players is assuming that the triangles appear over torpedoes the second they hit the water, when in fact the triangle indicator only appears after they have traveled their arming distance and become armed.

Mulletproof    338
42 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

And a common mistake made by new players is assuming that the triangles appear over torpedoes the second they hit the water, when in fact the triangle indicator only appears after they have traveled their arming distance and become armed.

Myth Busters says he's right (at about the 2:00 min mark)

AraAragami    5,028
3 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

Myth Busters says he's right (at about the 2:00 min mark)

Yup. In that video you can clearly see a destroyer take two torpedoes that had not yet armed, preventing them from traveling through to the battleship which would've been enough distance to start doing damage.

HazeGrayUnderway    2,488
1 hour ago, Mulletproof said:

I love the airplanes that can spot through mountains, personally.

It's a good thing that planes don't fly at sea level.

Believe it or not, planes from their higher altitudes can easily look over these small islands of the game.  Matter of fact, you can spot planes too easily in this game.

There was an early WWII engagement.  US Navy bombers were flying around looking for the Japanese in the Pacific.  They couldn't find the fleet to attack but then they noticed from high altitude the wake of a fast sailing ship.  It was a Japanese Destroyer.  They figured, "Well, obviously she's in a hurry to go somewhere, so we'll follow her and it may lead us to the rest of her friends."  And so the American bombers continued to follow the IJN DD.  The entire time the Japanese ship had NO IDEA it was being followed by an entire US Navy bomber group.  The guess by the Americans was correct.  The Japanese Destroyer led them straight to the main fleet and still had zero idea she was spotted from high altitude and trailed by numerous bombers.

The Americans then hit the Japanese fleet.  Some little engagement called the Battle of Midway.

All because planes spotted ships from the sky and the ships below had no idea the planes were there to begin with.

AraAragami    5,028
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Believe it or not, planes from their higher altitudes can easily look over these small islands of the game.  Matter of fact, you can spot planes too easily in this game.

Believe it or not, planes at higher altitudes could only generally spot ships by their wakes, and you can forget spotting torpedoes in the water above 200 feet.

2 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Believe it or not, planes at higher altitudes could only generally spot ships by their wakes, and you can forget spotting torpedoes in the water above 200 feet.

We can play this realism angle all we want.  I'm down for that if you want, especially in favor of Carriers :)  Everyone else will lose out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

AraAragami    5,028
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

We can play this realism angle all we want.  I'm down for that if you want, especially in favor of Carriers :)

I'm not arguing realism so much as pointing out that planes spotting torpedoes remains stupid no matter how you look at it.

2 minutes ago, lemekillmister said:

Well, considering shells can fly completely unimpeded through stone structures (e.g. that castle thing near A cap on Sea of Fortune)...

We pretty much just nod and smile these days.