You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
CaptSpock

Fletcher vs. Benson

13 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
71 posts
3,476 battles

I have Benson now.  Considering stepping up to Fletcher.

Ship capabilities seem pretty close. 

any thoughts, pro's / con's would be appreciated.

[BLUMR]
Members
2,048 posts
6,976 battles
3 minutes ago, CaptSpock said:

I have Benson now.  Considering stepping up to Fletcher.

Ship capabilities seem pretty close. 

any thoughts, pro's / con's would be appreciated.

Its literally anything you can ever ask for. Get torpedo reload mods and skills. Fletcher has super fast relaod of like 60seconds and with that 10.6 range and the faster torps your going to rekt crap. Its also has amazing guns and maneuvering. Its faster then benson but however larger turn. So if you hate that drifting feeling in benson your going to love fletcher. It does not have that at all. 5.8km concealment with respectable skills and mods means your only just above IJN level but still enough to detect ships FAR before they detect you. Try not to get close to radar ships.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
6,630 posts
25,333 battles

Fletcher all the way! To me it is the best DD in the game.

Awesome ship (other than Black of course).

[DRACS]
Members
3,351 posts

Fletcher is a very good boat. Sadly, mine was cursed and I went from a 62% WR in my Benson to a ghastly 38% in my Fletcher because I just kept losing the potato lottery. At first, I thought it was the ship being somehow bad ... but then I started noticing that in nearly every game I played in her, half my team kept dying within five minutes while I was still trying to do the initial capping. Made me sad.

Now I'm at the Gearing. Hoping the same doesn't happen, knock on wood.

But yeah, Fletcher is a good boat. You should get it.

[STSC]
Members
2 posts
4,326 battles

I am also looking to upgrade a couple of ships. Which one first Benson to Fletcher? or Kagero to Yugumo? Thanks

Members
842 posts

I can't speak to the Benson -> Fletcher upgrade, but the Kagero -> Yugumo one is a big step up. 

The Yugumo is very slightly less stealthy than the Kagero (about 100m after all the Skills/Upgrades), but has three huge advantages:  you can mount Torpedo Tubes Mod 3, you can get 12km torpedoes, and the guns' ROF is significantly higher.

The first two means you can effectively shoot almost 20% more torpedoes, at a range OUTSIDE all radar you encounter. And the last is about a 25% boost, which means you actually can use your guns for something, rather than just admiring their good looks.  Yugumos can actually win gunfights (provided they set the terms of the fight), and they're OK at for plinking from smoke to start fires.

Overall, the general consensus I've seen says that the Yugumo is the most effective IJN DD boat at higher tiers (T7+).

Pretty much the only thing you give up is via the T8 -> T9 matchmaker, since the Yugumo won't ever see a T6 again. That said, T8 ships spend 90% of their games playing T9 or T10 opponents these days, and the Yugumo's additional capabilities mean it does significantly better in those games than the Kagero.

Members
841 posts
4,880 battles

Get the Fletcher - seriously, it isn't even a close decision. With a Benson you'll be sucked into Tier X matches, the Fletcher is far better at home in that range than Benson. Even before I fully upgraded the Fletcher, I already liked it better than the Benson (and I LOVED the Benson).

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,018 battles

I was so excited to get Fletcher and she was a real let down for me.  I enjoyed benson far more, her nimbleness was far more valuable to me.  I dumped both benson and fletcher and got Kidd, which I absolutely love.   Moved my 19pt fletcher captain back to nicholas where he rightfully belongs. 

Edited by AnimaL21
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
71 posts
3,476 battles

just getting back to forum. thank you all for the tips on Fletcher.  building up to buy it!  :-)