You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
XX_Emeraldking_XX

*Slams head on table*

11 comments in this topic

Members
286 posts
3,350 battles

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

So a little backstory, I just got Colorado yesterday (yes, finally), and it's a great ship. About 3,000 less hit points than New Mexico but I'm looking forward to fun. But something that really irks me is people being useless cowards. So in area captures, I normally push forward in my BB and be the guy who sits in areas and destroys the enemy if they get too close. So on some matches, I push forward, while the rest of my team just sit there. I mean, they just sit where they are and fire from a distance. Meanwhile, stuff is really bad for me considering I HAVE BEEN AMBUSHED BY THE ENTIRE DAMN ENEMY ARMADA. A minute later, boom, my BB is destroyed. The team still doesn't do jack squat and I lose the match. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT AND INCONSIDERATE. I push for an area and my team goes, "Meh, we are outnumbered, the match is lost" even when the match JUST BEGAN. WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS, WHAT IS THE POINT OF NOT FIGHTING WHEN WE COULD HAVE WON????!?!??!?!??!?!? Is it just me failing miserably at this game or are people just dumb.

So that is my complaint.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,943 posts
12,460 battles

If you get ambushed by

8 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

THE ENTIRE DAMN ENEMY ARMADA

to the point where

8 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

A minute later, boom, my BB is destroyed.

then you have gone ahead too far, too early.

"But my ship is so slow!"

Still fast enough, apprently.

If this is a common occurrence, it simply means that you have a habit of outstripping your support and suiciding early into a match.

• Cool 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,242 posts
4,521 battles

Ah.... Colorado never has a ship let me down so much. Colorado sadly is a wall to designed to prevent everyone getting to North Carolina to quickly. Which might as well be the Yamato of tier 8.

Members
858 posts
1,791 battles
16 minutes ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT AND INCONSIDERATE.

Why, because they won't subordinate to the way *you* want to play?  Consider that your impatience not only gets you killed early in the match, but also deprives the team of an asset that could help them win the game.  A match is 20 minutes.  You don't get bonus points for winning it in 5, but you can get dead fast and lose it in 5, which is precisely what you're doing.  Some would call that "ignorant and inconsiderate" of you.

That doesn't mean you should just sit there and wait for your team to move.  But rather than running (OK, Colorado, strolling) out in front and getting nuked, find some island cover in that same direction to give you places to turn around without exposing your broadside.  If your team decides to lemming the opposite way from you, either get moving after them or, if you think you're just going to get caught and run down, use that island cover to limit your exposure and try to take some reds with you when you get overrun.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
3,428 posts

Ok, not really a BB player but have played a few games. This covers all ships:

1st - know what your ship is good at and look to play to your strengths - I don't know any ship that can push forward without support and survive the attention of several enemy ships. Maybe an amazing player could, but unless we are talking later in a game, I wouldn't expect a good player to put themselves at such a disadvantage in the first place (it would have to be a win or die situation).

2nd - look at the situation; you quote your actions as if they are 'by the numbers'. Yes you should have an idea of what you want to do but be aware of where your team is and how the battle is going (a bit of situational awareness).

I know this may just be a rant to let off steam (who doesn't vent every now and then lol), but try to consider just how many games we are talking about where this happens? If you say 'not so many', then I would say yes, you may have been unlucky with a team once or twice; just be a little more careful with your playstyle and use communication/mini-map. If you say 'all the time', then I'd say that it is more likely you who are at fault and you are expecting everyone else to be like you ('by the numbers'), where they are in fact using their knowledge and situational awareness to play better.

I will leave BB players to give more advice on BB play and wish you luck. :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

Pacing is important in BB play, buddy. Going too far away from your team is sometimes just as bad as not moving at all. 

Members
858 posts
1,791 battles
8 minutes ago, TheZeke00 said:

Pacing is important in BB play, buddy. Going too far away from your team is sometimes just as bad as not moving at all. 

It's only better in that you get to the next game faster. ;)

[LHG]
Members
1,618 posts
4,887 battles
1 hour ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG.

So a little backstory, I just got Colorado yesterday (yes, finally), and it's a great ship. About 3,000 less hit points than New Mexico but I'm looking forward to fun. But something that really irks me is people being useless cowards. So in area captures, I normally push forward in my BB and be the guy who sits in areas and destroys the enemy if they get too close. So on some matches, I push forward, while the rest of my team just sit there. I mean, they just sit where they are and fire from a distance. Meanwhile, stuff is really bad for me considering I HAVE BEEN AMBUSHED BY THE ENTIRE DAMN ENEMY ARMADA. A minute later, boom, my BB is destroyed. The team still doesn't do jack squat and I lose the match. WHY ARE PEOPLE SO IGNORANT AND INCONSIDERATE. I push for an area and my team goes, "Meh, we are outnumbered, the match is lost" even when the match JUST BEGAN. WHY DO PEOPLE DO THIS, WHAT IS THE POINT OF NOT FIGHTING WHEN WE COULD HAVE WON????!?!??!?!??!?!? Is it just me failing miserably at this game or are people just dumb.

So that is my complaint.

I certainly feel your pain on this one.  Passive play style is very common on the NA server.  Yes Lemming trains will come to a screeching halt if there is even a hint of a red DD anywhere in the Cap, other players believe their ships are snipers and would get within 100 miles of where the real battle is taking place, destroyers will yolo off trying to find that elusive carrier and give no support with smoke or scouting for the ships trying to take the cap. 

The best advice I can give you is that you have to play your ship within the playstyle of the team you are on.  If you can tell the team isn't going to support a push into the cap, don't try to do it on your own and create the single ship confronting the entire red ship team.  Try to find a way to win within the playstyle of your team even if the way they are playing may not be the most productive. 

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts
7 hours ago, Battleship_Dunkerque said:

It's only better in that you get to the next game faster. ;)

lol. technically that's correct. 

[0456]
[0456]
Members
2,809 posts
7,992 battles
22 hours ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

The team still doesn't do jack squat and I lose the match.

They lost the match too- possibly because you wrote yourself out of the game so quickly. Just because they're not doing it the way "you want" doesn't mean that their way wouldn't have won the match if you'd subscribed to it. 

22 hours ago, XX_Emeraldking_XX said:

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG...

So that is my complaint.

Herein lies a problem you're going to need to overcome before your experience changes for the better. 

You opened with a semblance of wanting help from the community. Then at the end the truth comes out and what you really wanted was to whine about people not doing what you thought they should be doing with 269 battles under your belt. Nobody who has the interest in coming to the forums is going to see this your way.

One of the grim realities everyone in this game faces is that success is hidden in the fact that we can't always do what we want to do to succeed because there are 23 other people on both sides who have an influence on the outcome. If you want to go to A because that's what you do every time and winning the battle means going to C... then don't come in here stomping your feet because you got murdered in the first 5 minutes at A. 

Start watching the minimap a little closer and don't over extend your support especially since you're newer to the game. There's a good chance that the people you're complaining about have a lot more experience than you do and were waiting for an opportunity to pursue an advantage. Or they were all idiots and you were bound to lose anyway- regardless... You died too early to have an impact on the outcome and someone in another thread is probably complaining about the Colorado that suicided and resulted in a loss. 

Edited by ENO75
  • Cool 1

[DOG]
Members
381 posts
5,595 battles

So this only started happening when you got the Colorado?  That may not be what you meant, but that's kind of the way it reads.  If that's actually what you meant, and you were having success with the lower tier BBs, maybe figure out what you are doing differently.  I know you need to play higher tier ships differently, based on differences in speed, hit points, detection, range, firepower, etc. But also because the ships you'll be facing at the next tier up are going to have different capabilities.  Also, I checked the wiki pages, and it looks like the CO is detectable 2 km further than the NM.  If you are still judging what range to lurk based on when you used to get detected in the NM, you could be getting spotted and dog piled more quickly than you are used to.

Edited by zubalkabir