You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Incendiary_Tanker

Who's a good premium Cruiser?

40 comments in this topic

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

So since Kutuzov ran away before I could buy her. T_T I've been out of luck in finding a good ship I like the look of. With me credits running out as I enter tier 9. I'm forced to buy a decent premium ship. Any Ideas on who would be a good choice to pick up? I don't want another Japanese ship... my port is already filled with them kek. 

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor
6,225 posts
3,082 battles

Atago. 

I know you said no Japanese ships, but Atago's the best premium heavy cruiser in the game, maybe even one of the best cruisers in general. She's a good pick up if you enjoy playing IJN cruisers.   

• Cool 3

Members
4,133 posts

I do enjoy the Graf Spee, but then again I'm a BB main and love those big guns.  And she's not an easy ship to get along with for many.

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,885 posts
8,168 battles

Atago is the best credit making Cruiser at High Tiers.

I believe the Murmansk is the second best overall

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

Katori! It's actually a great trainer for shooting and guessing lead, but it's just fun to muck around low tiers with.

Note: I've also done well with Takao (Atago) and Graf Spee.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles

I would recommend the HSF Graf Spee, and I would get the bundle with the 10 point Captain.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
4,112 posts
8,676 battles
22 minutes ago, RivertheRoyal said:

Atago. 

I know you said no Japanese ships, but Atago's the best premium heavy cruiser in the game, maybe even one of the best cruisers in general. She's a good pick up if you enjoy playing IJN cruisers. 

The Atago, thanks River you gave me a idea for my next purchase.:Smile_honoring::cap_like:

Edited by Chaos_EN2

Members
2,748 posts
6,228 battles

Graf Spee with at least a 10 point captain. Cool little ship. I'm a bb guy but enjoy this ship. My buddy swears by the Atago. I think if he has another kid that's what he will name it.

• Cool 1

[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Atago is worth to have in your port even if it's overloaded with IJN ships.  Darn thing holds my highest damage record in the game to this point.  Built up for stealth you even have a stealth torp window which is just wrong on a Cruiser lol

Still deadset on not having another IJN ship? Well another option really would be the Spee.  She's a true cruiser killer with those guns but she'll have difficulty on anything angled.  Due to her ROF she'll have difficulty vs some of the cruisers with a higher ROF, but if an enemy BB is giving broadside and ignoring you, AP at the upper belt line will rack up some surprising damage numbers.

Edited by vonKaiser

[NOOOB]
Members
1,436 posts
12,030 battles

In tech tree - Atago is the best (even with tier 8 MM).  Cheaper option, Molotov (another Russian flamethrower) and tier 6 is still pretty good.  The Spee is one of the top performing cruisers in tier 6 and fun to play

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles
59 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

With me credits running out as I enter tier 9.

Another option is to buy the permanent camoflague for your T9s and T10s, this turns them from credit guzzlers to ships that'll make nice money, hell even my Taihou makes profits and it has carrier economy. And costs only 4-5k doubloons per camo.

As for credit producing premium cruisers, the Prinz Eugen with her camo is quite nice, if you can get over the "its just a hipper" part that some cannot.

[TF16]
Members
825 posts
4,717 battles

Scharnhorst.  :cap_like:

Otherwise would voice the opinion of the Atago.  You have the captains to give it what it needs and it works great for a trainer.

[ARMDG]
WoWS Wiki Editor
794 posts

for prem cruisers, i'm a fan of Molotov. Her guns are absolutely fantastic - it allows her to punch above her weight class -  and she has decent speed to boot. Just make sure you're not on the receiving end of the red's attention xP. 

Members
1,334 posts
1,343 battles

Alrighty thanks for the feedback I'll take this all into account when I do buy a new prem. Might just hold off for a little more though.

• Cool 1

[RKN]
Beta Testers
932 posts
8,739 battles

I like Spee, but she’s a hard ship to do well in. No love for Indianapolis? She’s on sale right now. I hear she’s like a premium Pensacola - granted P-cola’s a love it or hate ship.

Atago probably is your best bet for CAs. You can use any of your Jap captains on her. She’s an unique Japanese ship with her fast turret traverse, forward torpedo angles, and repair. Definitely better than her Japanese counterparts at those tiers. 

I would second the Scharnhorst recomendation. As good as Atago is, she’s still a cruiser and susceptible to getting wrecked by BB guns. Scharn would survive a hit that would kill any cruiser. Plus her guns are a medium caliber and I’m told very cruiser like.

Edited by SavageTactical

[TOG]
Members
2,344 posts
14,562 battles

Perth is my favorite premium. WG had deemed it too efficient in certain situations and is offering money back for it.

The Huang We is coming out soon. T6 CL with Schor guns and Perth smoke.

Members
842 posts

Honestly, I'd do two things rather than buy an expensive premium (and the nice ones ARE expensive), if you need silver:

Buy yourself a few more port slots, and then figure out which T5 or T6 ship you have the most fun in, and play that as your moneymaker.  In particular, figure out which one you can regularly get the First Blood achievement in, because that gives you the +20% silver flag.  I personally find that DDs and CAs are best for this, but that's just me.

You should be able to get a base 100k+ silver per game in a T5 or T6 match all the time, even if you're just a mediocre player.  I'm a bit above average (maybe 60th percentile) of players, and I regularly have 200k silver matches in my T5 Konigsberg.

It's also a nice way to level up a commander to 19th level.  Yes, I realize you don't get the premium bonus or the ability to swap in and out of commanders.  But hey, if you don't want to spend $45 or more, this is a alternative way to get that money and more commander skills.

If you really want a premium, I think the current HSF Graf Spee is probably the best value for the money.  It's not a simple ship to get used to - there's a pretty high skill floor to get over.  But once you do master it, it absolutely will print money. It's also good for training your german cruiser captains (and isn't bad for either DD or BB captains either).

Beta Testers
1,460 posts
8,723 battles

Is it just me, or does anyone else keep seeing the title and automatically imagine a premium cruiser all excited and the OP saying, "Who's a good premium cruiser?  You are. You're a good premium cruiser!" :Smile_teethhappy:

• Funny 1

[GRFOX]
Members
2,201 posts
4,521 battles

Molotov and D'Aousta both are related as they are Italian designs. Molotov being built by the soviets with plans they bought from Italy. Both are fun for different reasons but have a similar feel. Though Indianapolis is my overall favorite premium cruiser. Those guns are so trollish

Edited by GreyFox78659

Beta Testers
39 posts
980 battles

You might try going HAM on Santa Boxes if they do them again this Christmas.  I got a whole lot of not-for-sale premiums out of them last year, including the Nikolai and Gremyashchy.  No reason to believe you couldn't get a Kutuzov, too.  That ship is such [edited].

If you aren't willing to gamble like that, though, and believe me, it's gambling, definitely go for the Atago.

[TBOW]
Members
1,175 posts
10,410 battles

Premium Cruiser, Atago is great and is a great trainer for running the IJN Cruiser Line.  2 sets of 4 torps on each side and the front 2 have a forward arc you have wide range to use torps, plus with full concealment you can get her down to 9.1 detection, making you a great DD hunter.  Plus it is best played like a heavy DD.