You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sleepyjester

Why are the majority of BB players in randoms COWARDS?

31 comments in this topic

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
30 posts
3,591 battles

Every random match I get into BB players hang way back and throw countless salvos and hit not a [edited]thing! I'm so tired of this gameplay aren't battleships supposed to lead from the [edited]front!?!? Acting as a shield for their fleet? FFS BB's get into the [edited]fight!

Edited by Sleepyjester

[HINON]
Members
8,796 posts

If they are the very front vessel they will be torped and burned to the ground. A little behind the vanguard is the general place for a BB to be but it does vary depending on the situation and ship in question. Like an Amagi at range is going to be much more effective than a tirpitz for instance.

Edited by RipNuN2

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

No, like all ships, BBs are supposed to play from their optimal range. "The front" is rarely their optimal range outside of Germans specialized in brawling. Maximum range is also rarely their optimal range. Most are best in mid range. A few can delete cruisers at max range if the player is accurate enough like Yamato, Missouri, etc but even then should be at least on the upper end of medium. 

Edited by TTK_Aegis
  • Cool 2

Members
1,777 posts
5,637 battles

No, Where did you learn your battle tactic's, BB's are supposed to stay in open waters and kill enemy from range/ Destroyers and Cruisers do the close in work. Anyone who brings his BB into channels and between islands invite torpedo's. I am not saying hide behind islands or on the border, but stay 10k out and erase cruisers and damage there big ship's. :cap_rambo:

• Cool 1

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts
2 minutes ago, Raven114 said:

No, Where did you learn your battle tactic's, BB's are supposed to stay in open waters and kill enemy from range/ Destroyers and Cruisers do the close in work. Anyone who brings his BB into channels and between islands invite torpedo's. I am not saying hide behind islands or on the border, but stay 10k out and erase cruisers and damage there big ship's. :cap_rambo:

I think too many people see a ship with armor and picture a D&D warrior. BBs are not tanks. They're bullet sponges under the right conditions if the enemy chooses to target them over more fragile targets, but they are not tanks. A tank requires a way to control enemy targeting. Without that, all they are is bait subject to the wisdom (or lack their of) of the enemy player. 

• Cool 1

Members
2,748 posts
6,229 battles

BBs cowards huh. I like the DD captains who at the start of the game go full speed to cap at 35 knots and wants everyone to cover him. Gets as# wiped in 3 minutes and complains that no supported him.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles
28 minutes ago, Sleepyjester said:

Every random match I get into BB players hang way back and throw countless salvos and hit not a [edited]thing! I'm so tired of this gameplay aren't battleships supposed to lead from the [edited]front!?!? Acting as a shield for their fleet? FFS BB's get into the [edited]fight!

Depends on the ship. A Bismarck or Amagi can do well in the sub 10 km range vs say the KII, which must stay at ranges over,12 km due to her armor.

Members
4,133 posts

As a BB main, I hang back a bit because I've been burned too often by my CA and DD allies in trying to push.

If I push right away, this is what almost always happens.  We head up with my DD and CA allies, and the moment the enemy shows up, they turn tail and run away leaving me alone.

Now, in this situation, I can turn around and expose my broadside hoping I don't get citted to death.  I can try to reverse my way out, but that seems frowned upon by everyone as bow tanking and a bad move.  Even then I'll be focused and sink.  Or, I can go **** it, scream banzai and charge forth to what I hope is a glorious death.  (Where are my CA and DD allies, hiding behind islands behind me somewhere.)

After being abandoned so many times why should I go forth?  Why should I push forward for a group who will hide behind islands and not support me at all?  I'm not going to push forward, take the fire for cowards who turn to hide behind an island at the first sign of the enemy.

Also, as a BB, we're spotted almost across the map and from outer space.

Of course the just as bad case is the DDs who goes in front, start spotting, gets spotted, pops smoke and now no ally can see a target.  Meanwhile, my BB who has pushed up to support that DD no longer has any targets to fire upon, but is spotted, targeted, and taking fire by 3+ enemies.

• Cool 5

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

BBs should be ~3km behind cruisers who are maybe ~5km behind DDs. With this setup, DDs and CA/CLs screen for torps/enemies, CA/CLs radar and make use of DD smoke and DPM, and BBs can actually hit things or use their secondaries well.

Smoke screens here can actually be used, cruisers can make use of their torps, and BBs can take advantage of AA guns.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,203 battles

There are DD & C cowards along with the BB cowards. Even CVs can be cowardly.

[WOLF9]
Members
165 posts

Do you not win generally by capping? BB's can support the cap by targeting spotted ships pushing the cap? And not the enemy ones hiding in the back? Can be a little frustrating when you have a couple of full health BBs at the end of the game deciding to come forward and pick off the low health enemy...there are definitely cowards in every class. I think communication helps but not everyone does that.

Members
2,748 posts
6,229 battles
18 minutes ago, aethervox said:

There are DD & C cowards along with the BB cowards. Even CVs can be cowardly.

Most of the DDs I see in the game now aren't cowards per say, just play dumb. Haul butt at start of the game to cap and yell for support. Don't get me wrong here, there are some real good DD captains out there. Stick with the fleet and know how to spot, smoke and stay alive. I have a lot of respect for them because it takes nerves and skill to drive a dd.

• Cool 2

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

I'm trying to wrap my head around the concept of a "video game coward"?  I don't think coward is the right word to use.  There is no physical danger to fear, and anonymity provides significant protection from non physical abuse.  Performance anxiety could be a possible thing to be afraid of, I guess.  Fear of letting one's team down is a real thing, but that hardly seems to be the source of the behavior the OP is on about.  Just a weird label to chose, unless the OP wanted to be insulting.

• Cool 1

[POP]
Beta Testers
289 posts
10,433 battles

I like the dd or 2 out front by 6-8 km, then a few bb's with a cruisers on both flanks out by 10-12km. Nice lil flotilla there. But them pesky islands seem to get in the way, and hiding in them are pesky lil critters that shoots the torpedo's of death. So a fighter or 2 spotter overhead is the way to go.

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

Why are the majority of "players of class X suck" directed at BBs, its not like cruisers and dds don't act with cowardice, and ive certainly lost games because our dds are "providing AA support to the carrier"

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
1,486 posts
2,043 battles

The BBs can't be at the front, that never ends well. But they should be up with the cruisers and DDs. My way of thinking about it. DDs up front contesting caps, spotting ships. The BBs and cruisers are behind the cap (within 5-10km of it). They can support the the DDs, and engage enemies. The cruisers and BBs mutually support each other.  But often this doesn't work. Many cruisers are great at long range HE spam, so they have no incentive to get close. That means the enemy DDs have no counter while the CLs spam the BBs at 19km, so the BBs can farm fireproof medals when they heal all that damage back. Pushing in a BB often looks great, but usually at the first sign of the enemy the CLs go to camping stations and stop, the BBs engage reverse, and all of sudden the only thing the reds can shoot is you.

Basically, pushing in a BB only works if the team does it too. It's much easier to sit at 20km and snipe. I try to push in, but often, it's only me.

Also, I disagree with the guy who said taking a BB among islands is a bad idea. You have to smart about it, but parking a BB in a channel is really effective sometimes, and surprise BB at 4km makes anyone crapthemselves. The number of cruisers happily lobbing shells over an island I've bushwacked is hilarious. Especially since they usually panic and screw up their torps.

I like the MO and AL a lot mostly because you can play them like cruisers. Duck and weave, pop in and out of stealth, radar for the MO, troll AA, dodge shells like a CL, oh, and you have good armor and 9 16" guns. Lots of fun played like that.

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

First of all BBs should be played mid range not from the back of the map. It needs to be close enough to support the CAs and do enough damage using AP but far enough not to become DD bait and be able to retreat to heal if needed.
Anyone who tells you otherwise is a camper who thinks they are contributing by sitting at the very back of the map while firing bouncing or ineffective AP shots or firing HE at enemy. The further back you are the worse your dispersion and accuracy and less likely to be able to be any help to teammates in trouble.
Many BBs like to camp because they don't want to scratch their paint. Their strategy is to let all the ships upfront absorbe all the damage early in the game while they get to finish off enemy ships later in. Those same BBs often get torped by CVs or rogue DDs. Ever notice how at the end of a really bad loss, everyone on your team is dead except for the two BBs at the back of the map with 100% HP?

BTW the higher the tier the more BB campers you will see.  Often enough it's the team with mid range BBs on the move that wins. 

[USCC2]
Members
3,418 posts

I'm a DD/CA player and they are not cowards; yes there are poor players in every type of ship, but to try and state the majority of BB player are cowards is just silly.

aren't battleships supposed to lead from the [edited]front!?!? - The fact you think BBs should be at the front shows how little you know about the game - as I stated, I am not a BB player but I know each ship in game has its strengths and weaknesses and some BBs can push forward and some are better at distance (no, I'm not saying at the edge of the map). The situation is also a big factor on how people may play.

There are many games where I have been 'saved' by the support of BBs (and CAs/CVs), in fact I'm going to put your post down as a troll attempt, as I find it hard to believe someone can come to such a conclusion! If you are being serious then I suspect you made a decision that did not work well for you and want to blame someone else.

Edited by _WaveRider_

[D12]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,063 posts
8,834 battles

Go play a BB a bit and you will figure it out.  I have started in the worst spots in BB games and get hung out to dry.  

[AFK]
[AFK]
Members
30 posts
3,591 battles

Okay so Lead from the front was a bad choice of words. 10 to 12 km out is where I tend to play! But all my matches today, YEs ALL my matches have BB players stay at maximum range shooting salvo after salvo and doing hardly if any damage! I mean you have the armor, high hp, and devastating firepower (when RNG is kind) Get your asses up more to soften targets for the CA's and DD's!!!!!!! It's called teamwork! Not hard to figure out! Yeah yeah I know it's randoms, and getting people on the same page is like chewing rocks I get that! But you would think after having a good match where people do what they should people would be on the same page! But........ nah who cares! That is a whole different discussion though!

[KOOKS]
Beta Testers
267 posts
8,705 battles
1 hour ago, Ghostdog1355 said:

BBs cowards huh. I like the DD captains who at the start of the game go full speed to cap at 35 knots and wants everyone to cover him. Gets as# wiped in 3 minutes and complains that no supported him.

Because of, on a CAP game, letting the enemy take the caps early normally is a loss, too many point difference while the team snipes from back. On a CAP game, caps are vital, team should cover that DD closely. Too many people plays their own game of shooting from back and not worrying about winning on a teamgame,

Members
2,748 posts
6,229 battles

I fully understand the tactics of capping and support. I also realize that this a team game and the players should work together for a common cause. Just a little hard for me to provide support when a DD cuts a rut and I'm going 24 knots.