You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Dianeces

Wargaming, This is Absolutely Inexcusable

53 comments in this topic

Dianeces    66

When I hit battle, and I immediately end up in something like this:

Spoiler

W8KGEhm.jpg

It makes me want to do things like manual drop myself out of games. Why would you even let this happen? What possible explanation could there be for punishing me with games like this because somebody else sat in queue for too long? Why would you not just kick people out of queue who have waited too long instead?

• Cool 1

IronWolfV    6,626
2 minutes ago, Dianeces said:

When I hit battle, and I immediately end up in something like this:

Hide contents

W8KGEhm.jpg

It makes me want to do things like manual drop myself out of games. Why would you even let this happen? What possible explanation could there be for punishing me with games like this because somebody else sat in queue for too long? Why would you not just kick people out of queue who have waited too long instead?

This is what we call a MM dump. And it also has to do with what time of day and how many people are online. If there is a VERY low population on say 4000 or less, don't bother over tier 8. Especially with a carrier. Likelihood of a MM dump goes through the roof.

Not a problem with MM. It's the fact at likely the time you were playing, no one was on.

• Cool 1

Dianeces    66
17 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

This is what we call a MM dump. And it also has to do with what time of day and how many people are online. If there is a VERY low population on say 4000 or less, don't bother over tier 8. Especially with a carrier. Likelihood of a MM dump goes through the roof.

Not a problem with MM. It's the fact at likely the time you were playing, no one was on.

I'm aware of what it is; that doesn't make it any more justifiable. But thank you for your condescension.

TTK_Aegis    1,129

Note you're playing a Tier 9 CV, probably the lowest of the low population (T10 might be slightly more popular). 

So here's what happened. See that other CV? He'd been sitting there for a long, long time because WG won't put a CV into a game without a counterpart CV of the same tier on the other side. That's why it popped instantly when you queued up. You were the first person to satisfy that requirement. 

So why didn't it fill out the game with T8s? Well, once that other CV has already waited past the "maximum" wait time (they're the only ship that can go past the maximum time) and finally finds a CV opponent of the same tier, the MM grabs whatever is currently in queue and puts it in a game. Looks like in that instant, all it had to work with was two BBs due to the time of day and again due to the tiers involved.

So how do they fix this? Well, they could disregard tier minimums to fill out a match so in the late hours T10s will get match with literally anything else to fill out the game, but that wouldn't be much fun for everyone else. They could just make it so you have to wait till a full game of the appropriate tiers is found before going in, but then you're going to be waiting a long, long time. Are you or anyone else willing to wait 30 minutes for one match? And hour? I could imagine at the lowest population times, T10 would take that long to find a full game. Even if you're willing to wait, will anyone else be? Let's say you're in there for 30 minutes but everyone else keeps dropping about 10, so you never get a full game going. 

Does this suck? Yeah, sure. I guess. Some people like the small games. Is it "inexcusable"? No, it's very excusable because there isn't a better option. Reality doesn't allow for one. If you can think of one, submit the idea. I'm sure they'll be very thankful for a solution to a problem they haven't been able to figure out. 

• Cool 1

IronWolfV    6,626
28 minutes ago, Dianeces said:

I'm aware of what it is; that doesn't make it any more justifiable. But thank you for your condescension.

It wasn't condescension. It was just fact. Sorry for telling you the truth. Sorry WG can't regulate who does and does not play the game at specific times and you end up in situations like that.

Sorry you can't handle the truth that there is literally nothing WG can do about that.

• Cool 1

Dianeces    66
3 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Note you're playing a Tier 9 CV, probably the lowest of the low population (T10 might be slightly more popular). 

So here's what happened. See that other CV? He'd been sitting there for a long, long time because WG won't put a CV into a game without a counterpart CV of the same tier on the other side. That's why it popped instantly when you queued up. You were the first person to satisfy that requirement. 

So why didn't it fill out the game with T8s? Well, once that other CV has already waited past the "maximum" wait time (they're the only ship that can go past the maximum time) and finally finds a CV opponent of the same tier, the MM grabs whatever is currently in queue and puts it in a game. Looks like in that instant, all it had to work with was two BBs due to the time of day and again due to the tiers involved.

So how do they fix this? Well, they could disregard tier minimums to fill out a match so in the late hours T10s will get match with literally anything else to fill out the game, but that wouldn't be much fun for everyone else. They could just make it so you have to wait till a full game of the appropriate tiers is found before going in, but then you're going to be waiting a long, long time. Are you or anyone else willing to wait 30 minutes for one match? And hour? I could imagine at the lowest population times, T10 would take that long to find a full game. Even if you're willing to wait, will anyone else be? Let's say you're in there for 30 minutes but everyone else keeps dropping about 10, so you never get a full game going. 

Does this suck? Yeah, sure. I guess. Some people like the small games. Is it "inexcusable"? No, it's very excusable because there isn't a better option. Reality doesn't allow for one. If you can think of one, submit the idea. I'm sure they'll be very thankful for a solution to a problem they haven't been able to figure out. 

Kick the player who has waited too long out of queue. If he requeues in the same ship and goes another five minutes? Kick him out again. He will eventually either get enough people in MM for a proper match or get the idea and queue up a different ship. This option has the added bonus of not screwing over people who did nothing wrong.

TTK_Aegis    1,129
3 minutes ago, Dianeces said:

Kick the player who has waited too long out of queue. If he requeues in the same ship and goes another five minutes? Kick him out again. He will eventually either get enough people in MM for a proper match or get the idea and queue up a different ship. This option has the added bonus of not screwing over people who did nothing wrong.

So you realize that in this scenario, that'll be you right? Since you're queuing up in a T9 CV at off hours? 

Dianeces    66
4 minutes ago, IronWolfV said:

It wasn't condescension. It was just fact. Sorry for telling you the truth. Sorry WG can't regulate who does and does not play the game at specific times and you end up in situations like that.

Sorry you can't handle the truth that there is literally nothing WG can do about that.

I'm not a programmer, but I suspect it would be entirely possible to add a "minimum number of players per match" to the MM code. I'm not mad about dump matches, I wouldn't have minded if there had been say seven or eight folks a side. Two ships a side is absolutely preposterous.

Dianeces    66
Just now, TTK_Aegis said:

So you realize that in this scenario, that'll be you right? Since you're queuing up in a T9 CV at off hours? 

In this scenario, I was in queue for all of zero seconds. I also don't generally sit in queue for longer than two minutes before swapping ships. I never sit in queue for the full five minutes. So yes, I'm fine with that.

TTK_Aegis    1,129
Just now, Dianeces said:

In this scenario, I was in queue for all of zero seconds. I also don't generally sit in queue for longer than two minutes before swapping ships. I never sit in queue for the full five minutes. So yes, I'm fine with that.

Yeah but you got in instantly /because/ that other guy had been waiting for over the minimum time. I explained this. If he wasn't there you would have been him, waiting for a second CV to come along. 

This might work for you to never be allowed into a game, since you're unwilling to wait past 2 minutes anyway, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority do not share your feelings here. It's not realistic to expect them to, so this isn't really a viable solution. 

I mean, you /could/ just not play CVs or high tiers at off hours. Or WG could ban CVs all together during off hours. That'd solve this issue in most cases. I'd guess no one would like that either though. 

• Cool 1

2 minutes ago, slokill_1 said:

LOL

So what?  A fights a fight.  Kill them and move on.

Wait.... did you just LOL? Please tell me how your dial up internet is still working after all these years. Pro tip, AIM (AOL Instant Messenger) is stopping service next month. You might want to upgrade soon.

Dianeces    66
9 minutes ago, TTK_Aegis said:

Yeah but you got in instantly /because/ that other guy had been waiting for over the minimum time. I explained this. If he wasn't there you would have been him, waiting for a second CV to come along. 

This might work for you to never be allowed into a game, since you're unwilling to wait past 2 minutes anyway, but I'm pretty sure the vast majority do not share your feelings here. It's not realistic to expect them to, so this isn't really a viable solution. 

I mean, you /could/ just not play CVs or high tiers at off hours. Or WG could ban CVs all together during off hours. That'd solve this issue in most cases. I'd guess no one would like that either though. 

You've misunderstood me. I'm not unwilling to wait longer than two minutes; I don't sit in queue because dump matches happen when you do.

Kuckoo    827

Two things:

>  Don't play Tier X at zero-dark-thirty in the morning.

>  Don't wait for more that 1.5 - 2 minutes in the queue, at any tier.

HooplaJones    112

I read all the posts here, with MM there is more to this than meets the eye, and the situations previous posters have mentioned do not include all the scenarios,  But that is not the narrative intended by the OP.    The OP clearly has an issue with 4 ship matchups, frankly so do I.  Minimum should be 7 a side, if someone wants to wait in queue over and over that is their prerogative, MM gives the details of types of ships in the queue.  

When I was seal clubbing with my Umikaze I wonder if MM finally said FU Jones! and gave me a 2v2, and two  4v4's all in succession,   I just assumed we were all seal clubbers and MM rounded us up.  This was at a time of day of very high population I probably played the Umikaze 20 matches in a row.  I have no idea how MM really works but I am sure it is complicated with so much many to many relationships.

• Cool 1

IronWolfV    6,626
10 minutes ago, HooplaJones said:

I read all the posts here, with MM there is more to this than meets the eye, and the situations previous posters have mentioned do not include all the scenarios,  But that is not the narrative intended by the OP.    The OP clearly has an issue with 4 ship matchups, frankly so do I.  Minimum should be 7 a side, if someone wants to wait in queue over and over that is their prerogative, MM gives the details of types of ships in the queue.  

When I was seal clubbing with my Umikaze I wonder if MM finally said FU Jones! and gave me a 2v2, and two  4v4's all in succession,   I just assumed we were all seal clubbers and MM rounded us up.  This was at a time of day of very high population I probably played the Umikaze 20 matches in a row.  I have no idea how MM really works but I am sure it is complicated with so much many to many relationships.

But here it is. OP was likely playing WAY off peak in a tier 9 carrier. Hell at zero dark thirty we're talking maybe 4000 players playing across ten tiers and 3 game modes. He picked literally the worst time of the day to play a tier higher than 7 let alone a carrier.

WG cannot regulate who plays what when. OP screwed up by picking that high of a tier and a carrier at that time of day and is blaming WG for it.

Can you really not see how asinine that is?