You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Peregrinas

Clear Skies with an Edinburgh!

10 comments in this topic

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Ayy well done. Also welcome back! :Smile_great:

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles

I really don't understand clear skies, except when a carrier player earns it.

It pretty much requires the enemy captain to say "golly, that ship just ate thirty of my fighters... better send in the rest!"  

Personally, if you decimate my first attempt to come after you, I'm going to spend the rest of the game looking for someone easier to hit.

Supertester
2,589 posts
8,274 battles

Clickterprise, makes sense... Probably didn't realize you can put a + plane HP mod on there, and most likely a 3 point captain or something like that. Then just kept focusing you with everything. 

Am I close? 

[R-F]
Members
664 posts
6,150 battles
6 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Clickterprise, makes sense... Probably didn't realize you can put a + plane HP mod on there, and most likely a 3 point captain or something like that. Then just kept focusing you with everything. 

Am I close? 

If you look up the enemy carrier player, he's actually got really good stats, including in that Enterprise.  He just reaaaally wanted to throw planes at the Edinburgh for some reason.

[RKN]
Beta Testers
933 posts
8,739 battles
22 minutes ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Am I close? 

That’s similar to how I got my first clear skies. I was in Texas vs 2 Hoshos. They kept attacking me, and I shot a bunch of them down. Won the match in the last 30 seconds when one of the Hoshos came out of the island he moved behind and pointed right at me just under 10 clicks away. Murdered him full health to zero with one salvo of cits and pens. Should have sent that one into somebody.

[SF-3]
Members
3,177 posts
8,169 battles
2 hours ago, Show_Me_Your_Cits said:

Am I close? 

Actually, he only went for me at the very beginning since I was briefly spotted in my smoke (and I was reversing too and it takes forever to start moving forward again in a British CL so he got me with two torps, nearly killing me), and once more at the very end when it was just me and a DD left (that attack wave was completely unsuccessful). Throughout almost the entire game aircraft were flying directly over me enroute to a different target, or loitering near me trying to attack a nearby target. I guess it was just that nobody expects to see a full AA-spec Edinburgh (and I wasn't even full AA-spec, I'm missing AFT); people know how potent Neptune and Minotaur are and I guess Edinburgh gets overlooked.

I've attached the replay if you're interested enough to see how it played out.

20171115_221607_PBSC108-Edinburgh_22_tierra_del_fuego.wowsreplay

Edited by Peregrinas
Attached replay

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,564 posts
14,005 battles

Congrats, the highest I've had was in the 50s but 63?  Insanity!  The fact that the CV kept sending its planes against a Cruiser shooting down its planes is another baffling fact.  Edinburgh doesn't exactly have a great AA reputation also, so this achievement is even better.

3 hours ago, Brhinosaurus said:

I really don't understand clear skies, except when a carrier player earns it.

It pretty much requires the enemy captain to say "golly, that ship just ate thirty of my fighters... better send in the rest!"  

Personally, if you decimate my first attempt to come after you, I'm going to spend the rest of the game looking for someone easier to hit.

Pretty much.  If a Non-CV gets Clear Skies, the CV was being pretty stupid.  If a Non-CV earns 20 kills on my planes, I feel embarrassed.  Yet there are some that will keep feeding planes.  It's rare but they are out there.

Also, another potential RN CL with fabulous AA is Belfast.  If you look at her AA foundation it's really solid.  Honestly, if you stuff in AAGM2 it can be good against lower tier aircraft but with additional traits it gets better.  The problem is fitting such skills in is expensive, especially with IFHE and other traits often associated with Belfast builds.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway