You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

18 comments in this topic

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,682 battles

As with a number of other players, I was immensely glad to see that World of Warships was finally getting a Steam release. Not only would this make keeping track of downloads and updates easier, this would also share World of Warships to a host of new players who would join and populate the game. However, I must say that the actual implementation of this release seems a bit shoddy. Numerous other titles with separate launchers and clients have full Steam integration with purchases included. War Thunder and Paladins are good examples. 

To lack a full integration of the game and Steam seems like a major failing of a Steam launch, and hopefully this will be rectified quickly. I can only see WG losing money in the long run if they don't allow integration of Steam with normal game accounts.  There are plenty of players who have existing Steam accounts with funds that they'd be willing to spend on WOWS if they only could, and to integrate the client without integrating accounts and purchases only loses WG the cash of such players. 

All that being said, World of Warships is a great game (and one of the only options for a recent multiplayer naval game), so I'll keep playing it for a long time to come. Perhaps full integration would be difficult, but as I mentioned above there are a number of other titles that have done so successfully and made a good deal of money from it.

Edited by Kingfishercritic
  • Cool 2

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,682 battles
18 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

@Kingfishercritic There is this for now. Don't know if you have seen it.

I did hear of this, but it was my understanding that if you did this you couldn't actually use your steam money for in game purchases.

• Cool 1

Members
9,863 posts
1 hour ago, Kingfishercritic said:

As with a number of other players, I was immensely glad to see that World of Warships was finally getting a Steam release. Not only would this make keeping track of downloads and updates easier, this would also share World of Warships to a host of new players who would join and populate the game. However, I must say that the actual implementation of this release seems a bit shoddy. Numerous other titles with separate launchers and clients have full Steam integration with purchases included. War Thunder and Paladins are good examples. 

To lack a full integration of the game and Steam seems like a major failing of a Steam launch, and hopefully this will be rectified quickly. I can only see WG losing money in the long run if they don't allow integration of Steam with normal game accounts.  There are plenty of players who have existing Steam accounts with funds that they'd be willing to spend on WOWS if they only could, and to integrate the client without integrating accounts and purchases only loses WG the cash of such players. 

All that being said, World of Warships is a great game (and one of the only options for a recent multiplayer naval game), so I'll keep playing it for a long time to come. Perhaps full integration would be difficult, but as I mentioned above there are a number of other titles that have done so successfully and made a good deal of money from it.

WG pretty much made it clear it wasn't going to happen. They simply don't have the coders needed to make it work. 

That's why they spend far too much time on models, and far to little on game play and interface.

[BUNNY]
[BUNNY]
Members
1,871 posts
8,682 battles
1 minute ago, awiggin said:

WG pretty much made it clear it wasn't going to happen. They simply don't have the coders needed to make it work. 

That's why they spend far too much time on models, and far to little on game play and interface.

Seems like a kinda crappy excuse to me. Plenty of smaller developers have managed to create steam interfaces. Granted, I wouldn't expect an integration overnight, but I think it would be remarkably silly for them to pass it up forever. That's throwing away potential additional earnings.

Members
3 posts
2,538 battles
18 hours ago, Kingfishercritic said:

I completelly agree, buying through steam is way easier for me because i already have the money in my steam wallet, that i planned on using to get a tier 8 premium, but after this im pretty sure i wont get one, bucause apparently they aren't even considering to integrate the old accounts, and thats really sad.

[WOLFB]
[WOLFB]
Members
47 posts
5,754 battles

id really like it if wg made the integration happen because at the moment my bank has decided to ban the entirety of cyprus from transactions, so its now nearly impossible for me to buy any wg product

• Cool 1

[NCBL]
Members
98 posts
3,617 battles
36 minutes ago, SafariHat said:

id really like it if wg made the integration happen because at the moment my bank has decided to ban the entirety of cyprus from transactions, so its now nearly impossible for me to buy any wg product

Same I have to call and allow a window to make the transactions. I can go to my local walmart and buy cards for coins but other than that I can't buy anything outright instead of that window. I even tried paypal and I still get a hold on my damned bank account when I do that.

Members
9,863 posts
5 minutes ago, EyelessCr0w said:

Same I have to call and allow a window to make the transactions. I can go to my local walmart and buy cards for coins but other than that I can't buy anything outright instead of that window. I even tried paypal and I still get a hold on my damned bank account when I do that.

That makes no sense at all. The transaction between your bank and Paypal does not provide the bank a way to know where the money is going....

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles

I just figured they did it to spare new players from seal clubbing for awhile before they integrated things.  Or perhaps sometime in the future they will offer account migrations. Who knows.  I use Steam, but pretty much only because so many companies force me to to play the games I want.  If I can find it DRM free, especially from an Indie developer, I go that route first.

[WOLF5]
Beta Testers
268 posts
4,267 battles
2 hours ago, awiggin said:

That makes no sense at all. The transaction between your bank and Paypal does not provide the bank a way to know where the money is going....

Yeah PayPal should work.  My bank doesn’t allow WG transactions but I have it linked to PayPal and it works perfect every time.  

[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,250 battles
1 hour ago, Valas1 said:

I just figured they did it to spare new players from seal clubbing for awhile before they integrated things.  Or perhaps sometime in the future they will offer account migrations. Who knows.  I use Steam, but pretty much only because so many companies force me to to play the games I want.  If I can find it DRM free, especially from an Indie developer, I go that route first.

Wait I thought the all the steam players are integrated into the matches, just not in the premium shop. If all these new players from steam are going into their own server what is the point?

Edited by DeadMeat_015

Members
66 posts
3,922 battles
29 minutes ago, Rusten_De_Mont said:

Yeah PayPal should work.  My bank doesn’t allow WG transactions but I have it linked to PayPal and it works perfect every time.  

I've had the exact opposite experience.  PayPal does not work on any WG product, and I have to use a bank account I've set up exclusively for internet purchases to get anything from WoWS or WT. I did have to put in a "window" for transactions from Cyprus though.

Members
3,407 posts
6,070 battles

Frankly - I would bet WG does not want to give Steam 30% of the sales done on Steam.   That is a large chunk of money to give up.

• Cool 1

[PC]
Members
1,866 posts
Just now, CylonRed said:

Frankly - I would bet WG does not want to give Steam 30% of the sales done on Steam.   That is a large chunk of money to give up.

And why should they, for the millions of accounts Warships has already?

14 hours ago, Valas1 said:

I use Steam, but pretty much only because so many companies force me to to play the games I want.  If I can find it DRM free, especially from an Indie developer, I go that route first.

Steam is just something I put up with, to play games I want. i don't need it for anything. Steam wallet? You've got to be joking.

Members
17,747 posts
5,084 battles
16 hours ago, DeadMeat_015 said:

Wait I thought the all the steam players are integrated into the matches....

They are. Might be a bit before you start running into them though, as when server numbers permit, newbies are separated from experienced players in low tiers.

Members
321 posts
6,069 battles
On 11/16/2017 at 9:52 PM, DeadMeat_015 said:

Wait I thought the all the steam players are integrated into the matches, just not in the premium shop. If all these new players from steam are going into their own server what is the point?

That could very well be the case.  The information I have read or possibly misread, could be construed both ways. If they are integrated into the matches and stuff already, then it really doesn't matter for me personally and more people for us to play with. I only use Steam if I absolutely have to.

Members
17,747 posts
5,084 battles
18 minutes ago, Valas1 said:

I only use Steam if I absolutely have to.

Same. Of course, being as it's the easiest way to get new games, I pretty much always absolutely have to lol.

Although, as someone who buys a lot of indie games, I find the reviews quite helpful. (assuming you read them and don't just go by the number of "thumbs up")