Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
hexeris

Passive Radar

8 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
365 posts
9,161 battles

Just musing, would be nice to have a module that highlights ships that have triggered radar in your range, passive radar receiver. Annoying when you get lit up and have no idea where they are. Possibly the same for Hydro, passive Hydro receiver. Just a thought.

[PSP]
Members
6,039 posts
8,582 battles

There is already an indicator when hydro or radar is being used and an RDF commander skill. Most ships of the era, especially in the early days of WWII, could probably do no more than detect that radar was being used, much less triangulate its source. In the latter days of WWII triangulation technology was advancing though. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
174 posts
2,056 battles
10 minutes ago, hexeris said:

Just musing, would be nice to have a module that highlights ships that have triggered radar in your range, passive radar receiver. Annoying when you get lit up and have no idea where they are. Possibly the same for Hydro, passive Hydro receiver. Just a thought.

You already get a warning.  There is a little icon that lets you know you are detected. 

The level of information you seem to want is better fidelity than modern warships and warplanes get.  Radar Warning Receivers only tell you a direction (that may be inaccurate), and a best guess at whether or not you are inside that systems range (based on a lot of electronic analysis done beforehand, which is beyond the scope of the game).

Hydro already is passive, so no such thing as a "hydro receiver" is even possible.  Hydro already is the receiver, and it's just listening for noise in the water.

The only thing that might make sense is something like the current torpedo indicator.  Instead of just the radar/hydro icon, something could be put on your ship direction indicator in the lower left that shows a direction for the radar signal source.

Personally, I'd rather just have different icons for radar and hydro.

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts

First reply, and already this realism garbage. Just.... why?

As far as OP, my opinion on radar (as well as Hydro and DF) is that these consumables should have their area of effect marked out in game, along with a short warning period between the button being hit and the consumable actually activating - say 2-3 seconds for DF, 5s for radar/hydro.

Give people some chance to react, make it less of a "surprise, screw you" thing.

Members
842 posts

Actually, the best implementation would be to have radar active for a longer period of time, but only display stuff inside it's LOS (blocked by islands), AND only display on the minimap.

Alternately, ONLY give the new sightings to the ship running the radar - no "fleet wide" detection. If YOU pop radar, only YOU get to see the enemy ships on the main screen. No one else.

Radar, as it currently stands, is far too powerful.  It's effectively a crutch for bad play - it enables players to be lazy and bail themselves out of a situation where they've screwed up, with no possible counter by the enemy (who went to all that effort to get themselves into proper position).

• Cool 1

[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles
13 minutes ago, EAnybody said:

(who went to all that effort to get themselves into proper position).

Yeah raced to the cap without backup from the team and radar is the counter for that. It's too bad that it's so short.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Members
842 posts

I fail to see how radar is a "good" counter for the opposing team trying to cap first.  It just rewards the radar-equipped team for being passive and laying back.  The proper counter is your own DDs or a CV.  You'll note that even a DD with proper backup trying to cap is vulnerable to radar.  Or would you prefer that DDs don't try to cap at all for the first 10 minutes of the game?

Also, the majority of radar nowdays is actually used to see behind islands, to suss out ships waiting to ambush you.  That's a horrid crutch for the radar ship - using your radar to cover for your own crappy situational awareness, and particularly to cover for the "charge right in" mentality.  Not to mention the crutch for it to detect open-water DDs spotting you - you know, doing their proper job.

Radar is just a "oops, I'm a dufus, bail me out of my own mess!" button.

Edited by EAnybody

[OPG1]
Members
611 posts
8,003 battles

I mean why not ya know. We can already park a warship inside a smoke cloud and said ship is totally invisible. Oh and that ship can see other ships and even fire on them. May as well keep the cheesy arcade game going. 

Sign in to follow this