You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
USSRichardNixon

Expert Loader for German Cruiser and British BB?

6 comments in this topic

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

I just don't feel like it's ever a useful skill.

Most cruisers reload fast enough that just firing to clear the guns and swapping types on the reload is just as good.  This includes the higher-tier German cruisers, which get down to under 9 seconds with the reload module.

Battleships are the opposite.  Even with Expert Loader, it still takes too long to swap ammo types so it's better to just fire whatever you've already loaded (or let whatever you're already loading finish.)

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
9 minutes ago, Vaidency said:

I just don't feel like it's ever a useful skill.

Most cruisers reload fast enough that just firing to clear the guns and swapping types on the reload is just as good.  This includes the higher-tier German cruisers, which get down to under 9 seconds with the reload module.

Battleships are the opposite.  Even with Expert Loader, it still takes too long to swap ammo types so it's better to just fire whatever you've already loaded (or let whatever you're already loading finish.)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

[RKLES]
Beta Testers
471 posts
6,392 battles

On a cruiser... no.  I do have it on my British BB captain.  I put it on last week when picked up an extra point.  I think the only other capt I have it on is Seagal.  I'm surprised at how useful I have found it to be with British BB's.  

[OPG]
Members
3,909 posts
5,503 battles

I run it on my Des Moines, Hindenburg, Zao and Henri, although that is partially just because I only had one point left and nothing else to use it on.  Some people feel expert loader is a useless skill because cruisers already load so fast, but I think that is missing the main reason expert loader is useful.  I do occasionally find myself in situations where a ship is turning around and I only have a few seconds to punish his broadside, in which case expert loader comes in handy, but the main reason I use it is simply for those situations when I want my first salvo to be AP....

Sometimes, especially in the Zao, I'll be in stealth when I catch a cruiser showing broadside.  I don't want to give my position away by firing HE, and I want to punish his broadside as soon™ as possible, expert loader comes in handy.  Other times, even if I am spotted, the enemy will be oblivious to me.  So once again rather than drawing attention to myself by shooting HE, I just switch to AP to ensure I get one good volley off before he reacts.  

It's not a hugely important skill, but I do make fairly consistent good use of it. 

Edited by yashma