Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeadMeat_015

Apparently a Kamikaze can bounce

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

228
[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,250 battles

According to Imgur this is the HMS Sussex hit by a Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia" 

NeYpY3S.jpg

OC https://imgur.com/gallery/5g4GJ

 

Edit did some research and this does not look like a fake picture. I guess it could be painted on as a hoax back then. If this is totally legit its amazing  https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/30576/is-this-a-photo-of-the-result-of-a-kamikaze-attack-on-a-ship-in-wwii 

Edited by DeadMeat_015

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
94
[ML-S]
Members
284 posts
4,025 battles

Came in expecting to see a Kamikaze bouncing a shell...

was only slightly disappointed.

 

Edited by Horama
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,987
[NDA]
Supertester
4,771 posts
13,567 battles

Not sure that counts as a bounce so much as a shatter.

 

BANZIIIIII......Splat! 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
820
[ARMDA]
Members
8,993 posts
3,454 battles

It's actually a British heavy cruiser.  She happened to have 4.5 inches of armor there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,250 battles
4 minutes ago, Unabletony said:

It's actually a British heavy cruiser.  She happened to have 4.5 inches of armor there. 

I'm thinking (bad idea I know) that it also skipped off the water before hitting the ship taking away just enough momentum to cause this.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,752
[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
6,103 posts
1,313 battles
15 hours ago, Pulicat said:

"We failed to penetrate their armour."

God damn it lol

yyrngTq.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
780
[MIA-I]
[MIA-I]
Supertester
2,712 posts
4,689 battles

Can't get much clearer an image then that.  Can still make out the machine gun ports in the wing just outside the landing gear marks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
247 posts
11,864 battles

I'm no pro to say if it is or isn't but that perfect of a plane outline on the side of a ship looks so fake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
811
[SPTR]
Members
25,618 posts
10,807 battles

Was expecting a clickbait of a gif of the dd kamikaze bouncing off a friendly ship in a ram. But wow~ /;^,\\

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
854
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
On 11/15/2017 at 8:47 PM, DeadMeat_015 said:

I'm thinking (bad idea I know) that it also skipped off the water before hitting the ship taking away just enough momentum to cause this.  

Nope. Planes are just really, really bad at penetrating heavy armor, and this one didn't seem to be loaded with armor-piercing bombs.

If the plane had hit the surface of the water, you wouldn't see a plane-outline on the ship. You would see the outline of a bunch of fragments. Planes don't do so well when hitting the water at attack-dive speeds.

  Remember that simily of hitting water fast enough and it's just like concrete because it can't displace in time? Same applies here.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,161 battles

My thoughts? Engine was knocked out and this wasn't a traditional kamikaze, this was a normal plane and the pilot knowing he couldn't make it home rammed the ship in hope of sinking it. Believe it or not there were actual Kamikaze tactics developed and all involved diving from high altitude. To me this doesn't look like a planned kamikaze, just a desperate pilot. That or this plane was actually a traditional plane that decided to go kamikaze (the Japanese often mixed traditional bomber and fighter forces into their kamikaze attacks).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
On 11/15/2017 at 5:59 PM, DeadMeat_015 said:

According to Imgur this is the HMS Sussex hit by a Mitsubishi Ki-51 "Sonia" 

NeYpY3S.jpg

OC https://imgur.com/gallery/5g4GJ

 

Edit did some research and this does not look like a fake picture. I guess it could be painted on as a hoax back then. If this is totally legit its amazing  https://skeptics.stackexchange.com/questions/30576/is-this-a-photo-of-the-result-of-a-kamikaze-attack-on-a-ship-in-wwii 

The outline of the plane was painted by the crew of the ship. Other pictures at more of a slant angle show the rounded dimple to be not so indent and  just only a few cup shape/sizes dents of maybe  about 1/2 deep in places.  This is believable to be where the plane/parts of the the plane (motor) hit , that is about it. The rest of the outline is just a funny "hoax" by  somewhat talented painter (s) of the crew.

 

 

bX1kn.jpg

Edited by Strachwitz666
added pic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,250 battles
5 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

The outline of the plane was painted by the crew of the ship. Other pictures at more of a slant angle show the rounded dimple to be not so round and only about 1/2-1 inch deep in places.  This is believable to be where the plane motor hit , that is about it. The rest of the outline is just a funny "hoax" by  somewhat talented painter (s) of the crew.

EDo9Q.gif

 that is more believable, even if it feels like you told me Santa isn't real 

Edited by DeadMeat_015
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
3,887 battles

Sorry about that.  What is stranger , is if you blow up the second picture(500-600% , it looks like the "artist" signed his work , There appears to be a "JSR" initials,  above a foot above the motor indention to the right . Now IDK is this correct , but it sure does look like letters there in the blackening.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
228
[SYN]
Members
457 posts
8,250 battles
3 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Sorry about that.  What is stranger , is if you blow up the second picture(500-600% , it looks like the "artist" signed his work , There appears to be a "JSR" initials,  above a foot above the motor indention to the right . Now IDK is this correct , but it sure does look like letters there in the blackening.

I see what your saying, but I still want to believe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
854
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
35 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

The outline of the plane was painted by the crew of the ship. Other pictures at more of a slant angle show the rounded dimple to be not so indent and  just only a few cup shape/sizes dents of maybe  about 1/2 deep in places.  This is believable to be where the plane/parts of the the plane (motor) hit , that is about it. The rest of the outline is just a funny "hoax" by  somewhat talented painter (s) of the crew.

bX1kn.jpg

Do you have any proof? Or are you just being a skeptic and calling hoaxes without evidence? The evidence in the picture points a different way. For starters, the paint on the ship is actually burnt and crushed away. This is most clearly visible on the marks for the landing gear, the center, and lower wing. You can also see a clear scoring from where the propellor hit the ship.

 

Besides, that "painter" would have only gotten a glimpse of the plane as came-towards the ship, not nearly long-enough to commit the shape to perfect memory. And how do you suppose he painted it on while the ship was at sea? He couldn't! Not that close to the waterline. The waves would come-up and splash the paint everywhere.

Finally, even if the painter had been able to commit the outline of the plane to perfect memory, he would never have been able to reproduce it perfectly, unlike what we see above.

Edited by Carrier_Lexington

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
854
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
3,805 posts
4,224 battles
8 minutes ago, Strachwitz666 said:

Sorry about that.  What is stranger , is if you blow up the second picture(500-600% , it looks like the "artist" signed his work , There appears to be a "JSR" initials,  above a foot above the motor indention to the right . Now IDK is this correct , but it sure does look like letters there in the blackening.

Also, the "signature" you found looks just like regular old lines to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
821 posts
3,887 battles
8 minutes ago, Carrier_Lexington said:

Do you have any proof? Or are you just being a skeptic and calling hoaxes without evidence? The evidence in the picture points a different way. For starters, the paint on the ship is actually burnt and crushed away. This is most clearly visible on the marks for the landing gear, the center, and lower wing. You can also see a clear scoring from where the propellor hit the ship.

 

Besides, that "painter" would have only gotten a glimpse of the plane as came-towards the ship, not nearly long-enough to commit the shape to perfect memory. And how do you suppose he painted it on while the ship was at sea? He couldn't! Not that close to the waterline. The waves would come-up and splash the paint everywhere.

Finally, even if the painter had been able to commit the outline of the plane to perfect memory, he would never have been able to reproduce it perfectly, unlike what we see above.

Well look at the photo , they are at anchor, the water is not disrupting the area at all, it would take a few hours to paint something like no different than a street mural , and it would be washed away at sea.

 

Howver you do have a point in things like this happening here is another kamikaze picture highly similar to that, I may be wrong , I may be right :)

from wiki

300px-Hinsdale_APA-120_-_kamikaze.jpg

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×