You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Batavian1

Waterline or Deckline

15 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
127 posts
3,189 battles

Where should I be aiming...water line or deck line? Can such a generalized either/or statement be made?

[RIPQP]
Members
3,706 posts
14,488 battles
4 minutes ago, Batavian1 said:

Can such a generalized either/or statement be made?

no

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,791 posts
7 minutes ago, Batavian1 said:

Where should I be aiming...water line or deck line? Can such a generalized either/or statement be made?

It depends.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,912 posts
12,446 battles
8 minutes ago, Batavian1 said:

Can such a generalized either/or statement be made?

Nope. Depends on your ship, ammo, target, range and angle. Destroyer AP against a battleship's waterline is going to do nothing, battleship AP against a cruiser superstructure is just going to overpen.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,405 battles

Real close - aim where the AP shots are needed.  HE - aim for the deck/superstructure.

Far away, I usually aim for the deckline in hopes some will strike low..

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,037 posts
12,517 battles

Aim where you want to hit. It's figuring out where you want to hit that's the hard part.

Members
9,863 posts
22 minutes ago, Lert said:

Nope. Depends on your ship, ammo, target, range and angle. Destroyer AP against a battleship's waterline is going to do nothing, battleship AP against a cruiser superstructure is just going to overpen.

^This.

Decisions about aiming are made on the spot, and have far too many variables. It's a learning experience.

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,840 battles
9 minutes ago, awiggin said:

^This.

Decisions about aiming are made on the spot, and have far too many variables. It's a learning experience.

One I still haven't learned very well after all this time...

Members
2,748 posts
6,235 battles

Yea, when I figure it out myself I'd love to tell you. awiggin sums it up though. I've had salvos where I moved the guns around as quick as possible, fired and got a 18,000 hit citadel. I've also carefully stalked a bb sailing in a straight line at 13 km. Carefully line up on him, positioned perfectly, took a deep breath, fired and splatter all around him.

[TF16B]
Members
8,054 posts
16,991 battles
47 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

Real close - aim where the AP shots are needed.

Like Main Battery turrets; aimed for those recently on an opponent attempting to close, and KO'd their forward guns. Allowed me to turn with less risk and get all my guns on them for a faster KO.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,493 posts
2,046 battles

Basically if you can pen the main belt into the citadel, waterline. If you can't, then go deckline.

So BB AP - waterline. CA AP against other cruisers - waterline. Some DDs AP against CLs - waterline. RN BB HE against CLs - Waterline. If you can hit the citadel, waterline is where it's at. That can change based on range and angle as well. Example: DM vs Iowa. At range, HE and AP into upperworks. But if the Iowa give the DM broadside at close range, it's AP into the waterline. Never give broadside to a DM, you'll be dead before you know it.

But CA AP against BB - deckline (it will tear them up faster than HE). All HE - deck. Angled (unless you can overmatch bow) superstructure.

You can't generalize, but know what your ammo can do and aim accordingly.

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles
1 hour ago, Batavian1 said:

Both, but it totally depends on a number of factors.

What kind of ship are you firing at.  What kind of guns are you firing.  What is his bow angle relative to yours.  How fast is he going and how aggressively he is maneuvering, if at all.  How far away he is.  Are you using AP or HE. Etc...

These are things you can get advice for but you'll only ever figure it out on your own with experience.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,082 battles

As others have said it depends, ALOT. Angled, not angled, gun calliber, shell penetration, range, ect. 

Members
266 posts
3,252 battles

It does depend on the situation and then there are times that you get weird dispersion. I have an odd tendency to get shells that fall short even when I aim high to try and compensate. It drives me batty when I get whole games where my shells consistently fall short of where I aimed them. Take Amagi for example, at 15 km with 10 16.1 inch guns I aim for the waterline and 8 or 9 of the 10 shells land short of the aiming point. It wouldn't be so annoying or noteworthy if it wasn't so consistent. It makes me wish that the Type 91 APC  and Type 88 APC 'diving shells' in game worked a bit more like it was designed to when shells fall short, specifically about 50-70 meters short if I recall correctly (although evidence suggests they weren't nearly as effective as they were meant to be). Other days I'll aim exactly the same way with the same conditions and get consistent 5,6, or 7 out of 10 shells to land right where I aim them. RNGeesus works in strange ways, and I seem to be on his list of people to mess with. :Smile_coin:

Edited by CaptHarlock_222