You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
dmckay

Container camo....clown camo!

26 comments in this topic

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles

Some of this camo seems realistic but some of it makes your ship look like it's dressed as a clown. I don't like that. Matter of fact you stick out like a sore thumb.  Matter of fact I often simply target ships wearing clown camo cause I just do cause they look so silly. Heh. Is this bad for me to do?  Just can't help it! :Smile_smile:

• Cool 1

[VVV]
Members
341 posts

Well if the camoes garish colors are making you target random ships with no regard for the battle situation it seems they work better than anyone could have expected. 

• Cool 5

[WOLF5]
Members
1,499 posts
2,069 battles

Just think of how boring various shades of gray would be.

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles
17 minutes ago, gloom13 said:

Well if the camoes garish colors are making you target random ships with no regard for the battle situation it seems they work better than anyone could have expected. 

O I make sure it's prudent and helps win the battle. I do take the situation into account.  I guess I implied I just do this randomly.....my fault.

Edited by dmckay

[NDA]
Supertester
4,794 posts
13,619 battles

I have a div mate who will call out any ship using the For The Win camo so they can be sunk first. 

[GLF]
Members
767 posts
9,022 battles

If you turn down details in the settings, you'll only see camos and ship-shaped ships at maximum zoom.  Otherwise with details low, everything pretty much looks like a gray box on the water from far away, lol. 

• Cool 1

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles
6 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

I have a div mate who will call out any ship using the For The Win camo so they can be sunk first. 

I wonder cause I don't know.  Did various zig-zag camos on ships actually help them throw off U-boats aim when attacking?  NOTE I said U-boats...I did not use the dreaded "S" word.

[YORHA]
Members
3,268 posts
42 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Is his name "[edited]"? 

Cuz, if it isn't, it should be.

[YORHA]
Members
3,268 posts
21 hours ago, JCC45 said:

Is his name "[edited]"? 

Cuz, if it isn't, it should be.

2c87aa3a9b2f540ebd1795eb1f0d5663.267x199

[PVE]
Members
8,960 posts
7,305 battles
22 hours ago, dmckay said:

I wonder cause I don't know.  Did various zig-zag camos on ships actually help them throw off U-boats aim when attacking?  NOTE I said U-boats...I did not use the dreaded "S" word.

Yes. The idea was to conceal where the bow was and to confuse what the angle of the ship was to throw off the calculations for where the torpedo should be fired to get a hit. Messing up those items by a little bit, meant a miss in real life.

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles
6 hours ago, Kizarvexis said:

Yes. The idea was to conceal where the bow was and to confuse what the angle of the ship was to throw off the calculations for where the torpedo should be fired to get a hit. Messing up those items by a little bit, meant a miss in real life.

Did that really work?  

[PVE]
Members
8,960 posts
7,305 battles
30 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Did that really work?  

The dazzle camouflage provided a measurable difference in accuracy. The camouflage that painted the ship similar to ocean color with a fake bow painted, worked a little better than dazzle camouflage I understand.

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
204 posts
5,310 battles

53 minutes ago, dmckay said:

Did that really work?  

Kind of look like it dose on paper
1920px-EB1922_Camouflage_Periscope_View.

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles
21 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

The dazzle camouflage provided a measurable difference in accuracy. The camouflage that painted the ship similar to ocean color with a fake bow painted, worked a little better than dazzle camouflage I understand.

OK.  +1 for you but I am still not convinced. Data ? U-Boat commander WWII needed!  Any left? :Smile_honoring:

Members
9,434 posts
11,601 battles

remember that dazzles were really only for sub threat and nothing else.      it does make them more visible, but bit tougher to aim.    in WW1, there were some studies done, and  UK study does seem to show that it was hit less  by small percentage    (like 54 to 48%   with less hitting midship)      but not a conclusive study at all.   why I said definite may be  :D. 

even though dazzles were used in ww2,  it wasn't as effective due to better range finding system. 

[PVE]
Members
8,960 posts
7,305 battles
14 minutes ago, dmckay said:

OK.  +1 for you but I am still not convinced. Data ? U-Boat commander WWII needed!  Any left? :Smile_honoring:

I do not have any hard numbers, just the general discussions of historical works. As I understand it, the dazzle camouflage wasn't a large difference in accuracy, but a measurable difference. In WWII, the ocean color with a fake painted bow, like on Adm Graf Spee in game, worked slightly better than the dazzle camouflage I understand, because it was harder to see the real bow at range if it was colored similar to the ocean. So you would underestimate the speed and or angle.

WoWs compressed the distances in game to make the games faster. They didn't change the penetration values, so damage us easier to do as well. Concealment is way better in game.  A DD in game is usually invisible at 10 km, but that is only 6 miles. A real DD was naked eye visible at that range on a clear day.

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
41 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Some Japanese camo even made one ship look like two different ships.

It's kind of stunning what visual effects people accomplished with just some paint.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,960 posts
7,305 battles
3 minutes ago, AraAragami said:

Some Japanese camo even made one ship look like two different ships.

It's kind of stunning what visual effects people accomplished with just some paint.

There was a Dutch ship that was camouflaged to look like an island to evade bombers. The ship would move at night and park by an island during the day to make it harder to see.

http://www.businessinsider.com/a-stranded-dutch-warship-evaded-japanese-bombers-in-wwii-by-disgusing-itself-as-an-island-2015-7

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,226 posts
3,871 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

There was a Dutch ship that was camouflaged to look like an island to evade bombers. The ship would move at night and park by an island during the day to make it harder to see.

Uwp6fOt.jpg

Everything in this paint scheme serves a purpose.

- The dappling at the bow and amidships and on the cranes/smokestack breaks up the outline, making those areas "disappear" at long ranges. The ship appears smaller, with no crane, a shorter funnel, and no midsection.

- Substantial fake bow wave makes it look like a high speed destroyer going flank speed.

- The stern half has its own artificial bow wave, going in the opposite direction.

- Dazzle lines to foul long range gunnery even more.

Edited by AraAragami
  • Cool 1

Members
4,463 posts
6,199 battles

Tks guys.  Good info. Carry on.

16 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

I do not have any hard numbers, just the general discussions of historical works. As I understand it, the dazzle camouflage wasn't a large difference in accuracy, but a measurable difference. In WWII, the ocean color with a fake painted bow, like on Adm Graf Spee in game, worked slightly better than the dazzle camouflage I understand, because it was harder to see the real bow at range if it was colored similar to the ocean. So you would underestimate the speed and or angle.

WoWs compressed the distances in game to make the games faster. They didn't change the penetration values, so damage us easier to do as well. Concealment is way better in game.  A DD in game is usually invisible at 10 km, but that is only 6 miles. A real DD was naked eye visible at that range on a clear day.

Well even a slight advantage is indeed an advantage.  Carry on.  Tks

Edited by dmckay
  • Cool 1