You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Hero_of_Zero

So... Midway got back her second torp squadron?

34 comments in this topic

Members
381 posts
25 battles

Unless it was said before and I missed the memo. I think this is very "interesting" lol.

(I don't have her nor have to play against her so anything is fine really)

Midway.png

[-K-]
Members
5,096 posts
8,970 battles
8 minutes ago, cometguy said:

Yep, I hear they're tier 8 planes though.

What tier planes does Hakuryu run?

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
682 posts
10,356 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

What tier planes does Hakuryu run?

Tier X when fully researched IX when stock 

[-K-]
Members
5,096 posts
8,970 battles
Just now, yamato6945 said:

Tier X when fully researched IX when stock 

So Midway gets T8 planes and Hakuryu gets T10's.

Makes complete sense.

• Cool 1

[VVV]
[VVV]
Members
682 posts
10,356 battles
1 minute ago, Ace_04 said:

Makes complete sense.

That ain't even the worst part Midway gets 2/2/2 

Hakuryu gets either 2/3/2 Stock or 2/3/3 or 4/2/2 

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers, Supertester, Supertest Coordinator
5,817 posts
5,359 battles

just remember the drop difference between a single USN TB squad and a single IJN TB squad.  also, US may wind up with AP bombs that dwarf even GZ's.

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
6 minutes ago, Tedster_ said:

just remember the drop difference between a single USN TB squad and a single IJN TB squad.  also, US may wind up with AP bombs that dwarf even GZ's.

I really doubt she's keeping her torpedo drop pattern and getting 2 TBs to go with it.  If anything, I bet she's getting Enterprise's torpedo bomber drop pattern that is so wide open in gaps, it's like throwing hot dogs down a large hallway.

Courtesy LWM:

CV6A1.gif

Courtesy Game of Thrones:

Hg3gBi6.gif

Also, despite the individual drop pattern being wider between an IJN & USN TB unit, do remember that Hakuryu, Taiho pack 3 TB units for 12 planes total.  They can cross drop or do a focus drop from one direction as they see fit.  If a concentrated, focus drop in one direction, that is A LOT of torps coming for you and the IJN TB gap isn't a thing at all.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,535 battles

I hope people test this thoroughly on PTS. I'd be concerned that 2x6 TBs with the dense American drop pattern will basically guarantee a one-strike kill on any destroyer without DF. T8 planes are slightly harder to position than T10, but not by much. Then there's the incredible feast-or-famine effect that AP DBs have.

Also, weirdly, does this mean Saipan is now the only ship in the game with T9 USN TBs?

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
1 minute ago, Edgecase said:

I hope people test this thoroughly on PTS. I'd be concerned that 2x6 TBs with the dense American drop pattern will basically guarantee a one-strike kill on any destroyer without DF. T8 planes are slightly harder to position than T10, but not by much. Then there's the incredible feast-or-famine effect that AP DBs have.

Also, weirdly, does this mean Saipan is now the only ship in the game with T9 USN TBs?

Been a while since I played usn CVs, but I don't think they get panicked as much as ijn does. If you get two drops off side by side, there may be no dodging it. It'll be all about shooting down planes.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
5 minutes ago, Edgecase said:

Yes.  The best USN planes will be found on a Tier VII Premium CV.  Because f--k Tech Tree USN CVs.

• Cool 1

Members
381 posts
25 battles

Eh

6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I really doubt she's keeping her torpedo drop pattern and getting 2 TBs to go with it.  If anything, I bet she's getting Enterprise's torpedo bomber drop pattern that is so wide open in gaps, it's like throwing hot dogs down a large hallway.

Eh. I don't think WG will ruin Enterprise's uniqueness that way. I believe they plan to give her 2*6 and justify it with low tier planes, much like Kaga.

Unless it's yet another new pattern.

This is pretty much my reaction to increasingly different pattern to Torp drop

why-that-ant-man-moment-in-captain-america-civil-war-set-up-a-young-avengers-movie-975434.jpg

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles

why do the IJN get to keep their tier ten plane when they have much better striking power the tier ten IJN CV get 12 torps in the water just like the midway but they are better clumped together so they are harder to doge. this just seems like more catering to the BBaibes 

Edited by skull_122_steel

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,667 posts
14,042 battles
3 minutes ago, Hero_of_Zero said:

Eh

Eh. I don't think WG will ruin Enterprise's uniqueness that way. I believe they plan to give her 2*6 and justify it with low tier planes, much like Kaga.

Unless it's yet another new pattern.

This is pretty much my reaction to increasingly different pattern to Torp drop

why-that-ant-man-moment-in-captain-america-civil-war-set-up-a-young-avengers-movie-975434.jpg

Bad analogy using Kaga.  She gets a non-IJN standard TB drop pattern in favor of a far more deadlier one unique to her :Smile_Default:

1 minute ago, skull_122_steel said:

why do the IJN get to keep their tier ten plane when they have much better striking power the tier ten IJN CV get 12 torps in the water just like the midway but they are better clumped together so they are harder to doge.

My guess?  IJN CVs will get hammered after USN CVs have been used as Crash Test Dummies.  I highly, highly doubt they are going to have 1 CV line with AS & Strike Spec options while the other loses theirs.  How quickly they do this to IJN CVs?  Well, that's up in the air.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles

I doubt they will give her a new drop pattern with the way AA is the T8s will be like paper so they will need all the help they can get.

36 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Makes complete sense.

34 minutes ago, yamato6945 said:

That ain't even the worst part Midway gets 2/2/2 

Hakuryu gets either 2/3/2 Stock or 2/3/3 or 4/2/2 

Only the TB's are T8 the fighters are still OP T10 and divebombers will remain 10 along with getting AP as an option.

and a midway 2/2/2 will be scary facing a 2/3/3 she will be able to counter the Hak's fighters and still have striking power in the terms of either 1000 Ib He or the new AP bombs, and now she'll have 2 TB's combine all of those in a coordinated strike and you can one shot enemy BB's and CA's

[WOLF2]
Members
2,992 posts
5,204 battles
21 minutes ago, devastator5000 said:

I doubt they will give her a new drop pattern with the way AA is the T8s will be like paper so they will need all the help they can get.

Only the TB's are T8 the fighters are still OP T10 and divebombers will remain 10 along with getting AP as an option.

and a midway 2/2/2 will be scary facing a 2/3/3 she will be able to counter the Hak's fighters and still have striking power in the terms of either 1000 Ib He or the new AP bombs, and now she'll have 2 TB's combine all of those in a coordinated strike and you can one shot enemy BB's and CA's

Makes me think they want to encourage Haks to go 4-2-2.

[AK]
Members
95 posts
7,536 battles
33 minutes ago, FleetAdmiral_Assassin said:

It is almost as if they are trying to kill off CV play under the guise of "fixing" it...

I agree 100%. They keep saying they want to increase the CV players in game, but then they do this. And of course, everyone knows they are increasing DD defensive fire, so that means more ships the CV cannot attack, and don't forget adding AP bombs which don't damage DDs, or deep water torps which don't damage DD's. Pretty bad when a tier 8 USN KIdd, can take out a tier 10 Midway's planes every single time. I bet it has already happened where a Kidd sails straight for the Midway and destroys him because he is totally defenseless to destroyers now. Yeah, that is the perfect way to get players to become CV drivers. And I am aware that WG likes to give lower tier aircraft to some of the CV's in an attempt at balancing them, but really, two tiers lower? No other CV in game gets a punishment like that. This is just my opinion of course (as every post on this forum is really) but I think WG is doing this so the CV population goes down to zero and they don't have to rework anything. Might as well remove them from the game now, and give everyone who bought one their credits/money back and move on, instead of lie to their players about fixing them. No CV's in clan battles? Why not? Because they are getting rid of them, why allow them in clan battles when they are not going to be here much longer?  Another interesting thing I see about this is the USN CV plane load outs. I notice they are not readjusting the Japanese plane load outs. So now we are going to have Rangers and Lexingtons with 3 squadrons going up against Hiryus and Shokakus with 6 squadrons. No wonder everyone prefers IJN. They can be everywhere, and the poor USN CV driver is chasing his tail trying to minimize the damage.

Maybe I am missing something here, but on paper it doesn't seem to be a fair trade. I have no CV experience higher than tier 7 at the moment with the exception of a small handful of games in the recently purchased Shokaku, I have played against tier 10's as I currently own six tier 8 ships which seem to be constantly up tiered with 10's. However, none of them are CV's except the previously mentioned Shokaku. I was able to buy the Lexington last night, but have no $$$ to upgrade it, so it and the Shokaku will sit in port, or do co-op until I can afford to get the upgrades. Now that I see the changes in DD defensive fire, and what they are doing to the Midway, I think I will stop at tier 8, and just play co-op with them. Then at least I will know what the enemy carrier is going to be, and I know I cannot come up against a 8 squadron Hakuryu in my feeble little 3 squadron Lexington.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
3,040 posts
12,535 battles
46 minutes ago, Nighteyez said:

Then at least I will know what the enemy carrier is going to be, and I know I cannot come up against a 8 squadron Hakuryu in my feeble little 3 squadron Lexington.

???

Because both the mirrored-CV-tier and one-CV-per-team rules are in effect at Tier 8+, there is no possibility of a Lexington ever seeing a Hakuryu. It can only ever see other T8 carriers: Shokaku, Enterprise, and other Lexingtons.

[-TAB-]
Beta Testers
68 posts
5,971 battles
2 hours ago, cometguy said:

Makes me think they want to encourage Haks to go 4-2-2.

I herd all AS specs are getting wiped usn and jap so no 4-2-2  for jap when usn goes live .

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Yes.  The best USN planes will be found on a Tier VII Premium CV.  Because f--k Tech Tree USN CVs.

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that T9/10 CV have the HP module, while Saipan does not?

[ANTK]
Members
1,719 posts
3,130 battles
13 minutes ago, issm said:

Are you deliberately ignoring the fact that T9/10 CV have the HP module, while Saipan does not?

Or the fact that Midway still has T10 Fighters and DBs