Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Umikami

How thw other half lives.

5 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,780 posts
14,796 battles

I have long been an advocate, and a vocal one, of playing the ships you regularly play against so you have an idea of how they perform; what and where their strong and weak points are. So a short while ago I decided to grind out the German and British BB's to remind myself of what those players love and hate.

First, as slow as battleships sail, you can find yourself all alone incredibly quickly (sometimes within seconds of the red team firing their first salvo.) So, lesson one, stay with the herd and you will live longer.

Second, no good CV driver needs cross drop to eliminate a BB; @Femennenly taught me that with a beautiful drop on my QE, never even had a chance to dodge that double drop. Again, stay with the herd as group AA is better AA.

Third, ALL of my gunners need to go to an AA meeting; they can't hit anything anywhere where it does any damage. Pick skills that make you hit what you aim at because it doesn't matter how many shots you miss with.

I remember now why I gave up battleship play; but having more games under my belt definitely gives me a better perspective and attitude. Still, when I re-bought the T-22 to see how much she had improved, it was like putting on your oldest, most comfortable shoes. Enjoyed the change of pace though.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

Not quite an equivilant example, but for me a similar ship is St Louis, (T3 USN.) The ship is a beast after I really learned the things that can make it so.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet
  • Cool 2

[-SYN-]
Members
31 posts
3,736 battles

I've just recently started playing BBs after a long run at cruisers and destroyers. Quite a different game it is in a slow moving, slow firing, slow everything behemoth. I like it though as it gives me time to go grab a beer at the beginning of the game, brush the cat, empty the garbage, etc and still find my half speed ship a decent distance behind everyone else. Gunnery is a challenge as you have to try to make every salvo count. I'm grinding up the RN line as well, at tiers 3 to 5, and the reload rate is ridiculous. Can grab another beer, brush the cat again, etc in the time it takes to reload and re-aim (though I try to keep sights steady on one target at a time). 

One thing I find myself doing is NOT turning. If I run into trouble, such as my "team" melts away and I'm facing a red onslaught, I just put her in reverse and back away, keeping an angle that allows me to bring a few turrets into action but not expose my side too much. Learned that through bitter experience.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point, Umikami, about how playing different ships helps you understand them better as potential enemies. I always loved to hunting bbs in a destroyer but now I think I have a better idea of how to do so and stay alive. Speed and lots of unpredictable movement, on top of hiding and waiting for that magic moment when you can make someone's day as they come around an island or enter a narrow channel.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,486 posts
2,043 battles
34 minutes ago, bigsnit said:

I've just recently started playing BBs after a long run at cruisers and destroyers. Quite a different game it is in a slow moving, slow firing, slow everything behemoth. I like it though as it gives me time to go grab a beer at the beginning of the game, brush the cat, empty the garbage, etc and still find my half speed ship a decent distance behind everyone else. Gunnery is a challenge as you have to try to make every salvo count. I'm grinding up the RN line as well, at tiers 3 to 5, and the reload rate is ridiculous. Can grab another beer, brush the cat again, etc in the time it takes to reload and re-aim (though I try to keep sights steady on one target at a time). 

One thing I find myself doing is NOT turning. If I run into trouble, such as my "team" melts away and I'm facing a red onslaught, I just put her in reverse and back away, keeping an angle that allows me to bring a few turrets into action but not expose my side too much. Learned that through bitter experience.

I agree wholeheartedly with your point, Umikami, about how playing different ships helps you understand them better as potential enemies. I always loved to hunting bbs in a destroyer but now I think I have a better idea of how to do so and stay alive. Speed and lots of unpredictable movement, on top of hiding and waiting for that magic moment when you can make someone's day as they come around an island or enter a narrow channel.

Engaging reverse and running slowly away works great unless there's a DD or a CV around. I've tried that tactic with success, but multiple times the CV or a Shima spread has taught me that my ship can do 33kts for a reason.

Playing your opponents is a good idea. I wish I could do it more. I play CAs and BBs, but not DDs. Maybe eventually. I do make sure to watch videos on every new ship, even if I'm not going to play them, so as to know what the strengths and weaknesses are and how to effectively fight them. French CL/As have 9km torps with excellent arcs, for example. Good to know, even though I have no interest in playing the line right now.

[JFSOC]
Members
909 posts
2,588 battles

Well, this is more of a general observation than anything...

I would suggest you play cruisers early on frequently.  Not exclusively, unless you enjoy that, but frequently.  This gives you the best opportunity to learn to use the lead line on your gun sight in sniper mode and aim where you hit or get really close on the first salvo.  With a cruiser you get to fire frequently so you have a better opportunity to aim at a variety of targets moving in various directions.  Once you get good you can even get regular hits on small destroyers at longer ranges and always scare the hell out of them.

Sign in to follow this