You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Mulletproof

Camouflage Annoyance

46 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,419 battles

I'll get straight to the point-- why buy a visual appearance modification that can immidiately turned off by others? For example, the steampunk Halloween camos and high school fleet camos. You payed money for those. Presumably, you want people to see them as well... Except nope, they're really no better than a local mod skin pack because the rest of the player base can opt out.

Now sure, you still get the bonuses whether you like it or not and when we start talking about ARP, that was free. Can't really [edited] about free stuff. But when you're paying real money, I really don't want my neighbor to just be able to turn the crap I bought off.

No, this will never break the game and I'm probably well into a minority on this one, so /shrug. Just wanted to vent. If you didn't want other people to see them, maybe you shouldn't have implimented these camos in the first place WG.

[SIM]
Members
2,437 posts
4,076 battles

So you just want to inflict your sensibilities on other people? This is a nominally historical naval combat game. Fantasy skins are a fun bonus for those of us that enjoy them, but there’s no reason to force them down the throats of people that don’t appreciate them. You’re just making their experience less enjoyable.

• Cool 8

Members
2,748 posts
6,242 battles

I agree with you. You get the camo obviously for the slight advantage and/or bonuses. But we also all "like" the way certain camos look. They might not be really practical in a real combat situation but we like the way they look. Can't stand the way the green St. Patrick's Day camo looks but I bought a 100 of them for the bonuses.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,648 battles

Camo's give the player bonuses...- %detection, +% enemy dispersion, +credit %, +commander xp, + xp, + freexp etc..  They are used to help you gain more xp or gain credits etc..  the side benefit is their looks but the primary benefit is in game progression.  Sorry, not understanding your post or need to vent.  

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
6 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

So you just want to inflict your sensibilities on other people? This is a nominally historical naval combat game. Fantasy skins are a fun bonus for those of us that enjoy them, but there’s no reason to force them down the throats of people that don’t appreciate them. You’re just making their experience less enjoyable.

Completely agree with this.

Also, some of the camos provide unfair advantages.  I turned off the Halloween stuff (multiple times as it kept coming back on for some reason) because the Tirpitz skin takes away the ability to use the smoke stack to estimate speed.

[WOLF4]
Members
171 posts
2,732 battles

I can understand what OP is talking about. But it all comes down to you on an individual level and not affecting others. I love using the German line of ships (BB and CA). However, the premium skins are just BLAND. I mean, a few stripes and voila.  In my mind, I want something more than a few vertical stripes yet I understand the historical accuracy that will draw others to wanting to purchase those. We are at least given options with consumable camo. And I would imagine, if they had said features turned off, they are missing out on some neat eye candy in some cases, imo. If you are wanting to showcase your ship in Random/Co-op, might not be the appropriate place. I would be happy just for me and my friends to take notice :)

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,419 battles
20 minutes ago, SkaerKrow said:

11 minutes ago, AspiringCodger said:

Completely agree with this.

Also, some of the camos provide unfair advantages.  I turned off the Halloween stuff (multiple times as it kept coming back on for some reason) because the Tirpitz skin takes away the ability to use the smoke stack to estimate speed.

If I paid money for them and WG is allowing me to use them, YES.

Now, your offended sensibilities stray into the topic of whether they should even be allowed in a "nominally historic naval combat game" in the first place. Note the last sentence of my original statement. Probably not, but WG wants the exposure anime gives them while not really committing to the fact some of these people paid money to be seen, not just for the stats. It strikes me as wishy-washy business policy of trying to please everybody, but giving the short end of the stick to the people who actually paid money.

The unfair advantage one is interesting sine there are actually stock/free camos that blend in perfectly with other maps. I can see where there would be an annoyance, however.

Edited by Mulletproof

Beta Testers
1,119 posts
2,419 battles
21 minutes ago, Simers72 said:

Camo's give the player bonuses...- %detection, +% enemy dispersion, +credit %, +commander xp, + xp, + freexp etc..  They are used to help you gain more xp or gain credits etc..  the side benefit is their looks but the primary benefit is in game progression.  Sorry, not understanding your post or need to vent.  

And I mentioned all of that in my first post. Sorry, not understanding your reason to restate what I already said.

[SYN]
Members
102 posts
8,223 battles
3 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

*snip*

But you can always see your camo, if you want. And since you have no way of knowing who has the filter turned off or on, it doesn't affect your game in the slightest.

It's the best possible solution, honestly. If you want to see it, great! If you hate anime and steampunk boats, turn it off! You can mix and match, even.

Also, no one had to pay a dime for the ARP boats. They're all reward ships. 

[LRM3]
[LRM3]
Members
390 posts
5,402 battles

Not everyone wants to see your camo. I’m kind of taken back that you buy camo so others can see it. 

[HINON]
Supertester
18,934 posts
12,460 battles

I'm very selfish and am more than content in making my ships look good while enjoying nice bonuses.

Also, the ARP ships were 100% free, you couldn't ever buy them for money if you wanted to.

Beta Testers
2,029 posts
6 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

The unfair advantage one is interesting sine there are actually stock/free camos that blend in perfectly with other maps. I can see where there would be an annoyance, however.

I'm curious about which ships/camos you're talking about.  I've never had a problem seeing a ship.

I'm also struggling to understand why what other people see on their screens would matter to anyone who wasn't just trying to annoy people.  Besides, even if they did take away the ability to hide those camos, someone would just make a mod anyway.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,648 battles
5 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

And I mentioned all of that in my first post. Sorry, not understanding your reason to restate what I already said.

I was just double checking to ensure I understood your post  ->  whining because other people can't see the camo's you purchased.  Got it.  :cap_wander:

• Cool 2

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
3,798 posts
11 minutes ago, Mulletproof said:

If I paid money for them and WG is allowing me to use them, YES.

Now, your offended sensibilities stray into the topic of whether they should even be allowed in a "nominally historic naval combat game" in the first place. Note the last sentence of my original statement. Probably not, but WG wants the exposure anime gives them while not really committing to the fact some of these people paid money to be seen, not just for the stats. It strikes me as wishy-washy business policy of trying to please everybody, but giving the short end of the stick to the people who actually paid money.

If we start allowing people to spend money to impact other people's play experience. . . you might not like where that leads.

This isn't some fantasy MMO where everybody has some wierd look for their character and its just a question of personal taste.  This is a historical online naval game where ships are SUPPOSED to look a certain way.  If they look like fantasy ships, that has a significant experience on the play experience of others, who want to play a historical game.

Personally I turned off the ARP mods, but haven't yet the Halloween mods.  I may get there at some point.

• Cool 1

Members
3,412 posts
6,072 battles

If I paid money for them and WG is allowing me to use them,

YES.

Sorry - no - you like them and you can see them but it does not allow you to force it on everyone else.  Apparently you would like a smaller player base as well.  The complaint is just silly imho.

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

You actually care how other people see your ship? Man it must drive you crazy that if they install a modified skin for your ship that's how they see your ship and there's nothing you can do to stop it. I mean they might be seeing your ship as having insulting words scrawled all over it for all you know. Or naked anime girls. You'll never know. Why worry about how people see the ship you're in?

I splurged to make sure I got all the Halloween skins, and I put in the work to get all the ARP ships. Why? Because /I/ like how they look. I did it for /me/ and I don't care even a single bit if other people see my unusual camo or not. That isn't the point to me at all. 

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,090 battles

OP shut  up and realize that YOU can see the skins and THAT is the point. If you have such an ego issue that you MUST have others see what you put on your ship then I suggest you go play TF2 where you can actually force others to see your oh so important fashion sense. 

[TASH]
Members
4,993 posts
7,910 battles
1 hour ago, Mulletproof said:

For example, the steampunk Halloween camos and high school fleet camos. You payed money for those.

Nope.

Members
1,547 posts
9,817 battles

I actually don't pay attention to other ship's camo. I'm too busy playing and targeting the enemy regardless of whether they look like Halloween pumpkins or a spaceship. 
The only reason I mount camo skins is for the benefits they bring the ship. Lower detection, lower probability of being hit by enemy shells, more XP and free XP is far more important to me than warship Cosplay.  

[SPTR]
Members
3,459 posts
5,672 battles
1 hour ago, Mulletproof said:

There are less annoying and effective ways of showing off as the big d*ck swinger in the random queue...

1st Place: Play Flint or Black

2nd Place: Fly a Pirate Flag or a Kure Flag

3rd Place: Play Bismarck or Hood with Pristine Camo

4th Place: Play Missouri or Nelson

5th Place: Play any rare earnable premium, including ARPs and Southern Dragon

6th Place: Earn tonnes of achievements and top the scoreboard in your Karlsruhe after the match

Edited by The_first_harbinger

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,799 posts
18,729 battles

I like the benefits that the Camo brings and enjoy seeing other players ships different Camo tastes 

Members
2,274 posts
7,344 battles

Most important:

- YOU will see the camo;

- You still earn the cammo bonus; 

Now, why should a player be forced to look at something he doest like?