Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

To retrain or to recruit.

6 comments in this topic

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

When I started playing WOWS I didn't pay a lot of attention to moving my captains around, and when you're starting out you're upgrading ships every few matches, so it doesn't matter.

Now I'm trying to grind two specific lines, UK BB's and US CVs. Both lines are mid tier, my US CV the first to make the jump from Tier V Bogue to Tier VI Independence. I'm taking the same captain along for the ride, transferring them to new ships are they're researched and bought, which means my captains are getting a lot more experience than I'm used to.

The issue is that the higher the level of the captain, the longer it will take to train the captain on the new ship, and during that time the captains abilities are significantly nerfed on a ship that has yet to be improved above stock.

I estimate that a captain becomes "good" when he hits level 10, allowing him at least 1 level 4 skill. At some stage it must be easier leaving the captain in the old ship and bringing in a new guy, progressing through the earlier xp levels sooner and being able to use those abilities at 100% as soon as they're available. There must also be a point where retraining your higher level captain to full competency would take longer than training a new guy to level 10

I know you can use dubloons to retrain instantly, but I'm saving them. I do spend the credits on halving the retraining time.

My question is: At what level do you leave your captain in his ship and recruit a new guy? Or do you lovingly take your chosen captain all the way to Tier X?

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,888 battles

Always move the old commander to the new ship.  Retraining them takes a fraction of the time it would take to rank them back up.  Compare the tables in the following links and you'll see.

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Commander_Skill_Points

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Commander#Managing_Commanders

Lets use a 10-point commander as an example.  Total XP to reach 10 points is 183,000.  Total XP to retrain a commander with 10 points is 25,000.  The XP needed to retrain can even be cut down by 50% if you pay 200,000 credits, which is extremely useful when you start getting higher point commanders.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
1,499 posts
7,347 battles

Always move them along... If you hold on to the "increase commander XP" camos and flags specifically for retraining, you can do it fairly quickly.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,320 posts
14,654 battles

Also, you will play that Commander more, increasing his skill so eventually he will hit 19 points and acrue elite captain XP.

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 hour ago, Deno said:

Always move the old commander to the new ship.  Retraining them takes a fraction of the time it would take to rank them back up.  Compare the tables in the following links and you'll see.

I move them up unless there is a "speciality" commander that I want to use or a 10-pointer obtained from a contest and I want to keep the previous ship. I put my Segal in my Cleveland. Whether he will stay there or not depends on how the USN CA/CL split goes. I had Jack Dunkirk in my Leander but yesterday I put him in my Fiji, where he is now retraining. My Fletcher commander is the same one that I've had up the line since the Sampson. Right now he's at 17 points.

Sign in to follow this