Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Phil_Swift_With_Flextape

Wargaming's Commemorative Flag Policy is Disingenuous to the Player Base

37 comments in this topic

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles

While this issue may seem like a little one, I want to bring this up because I feel as if this issue is bigger than one might believe.

Wargaming has released, as we all can tell on the main page, a new bundle for Indianapolis. (Link here) It now includes what looks like a really cool commemorative flag to the Indi. However, here is the problem.

It costs $66 dollars.

Now while I see someone who is first buying the ship to get major benefits out of it, what about current owners of the ship? I have already owned the ship for 6 months, and have been a proud player and owner of the vessel.

But what wargaming has essentially told me is that my patronage to the game meant little to them. I never had an initial option to get the ship with a flag back when it cost $34 dollars or-so, and now that it has a flag, I am being told to pay.......$66 dollars for it. $66 dollars isn't a figure people can just toss around like it's going out of style. That is a sizeable chunk of money in this economy where things are tight in some areas. But by me, an original owner of the ship, having zero options to get the flag al-la-carte, I think is really rude. My $34 dollars weren't green enough the first time that now you need to give me a $66 dollar paywall for the flag? I think that is a little slap-in-the-face in it's nature.

Now, if wargaming had an option in the shop for existing owners to get the flag for $5-6 dollars, or an in-game doubloon option, I would be the first one to chuck the credit-card at it. I am not demanding I get the flag for free because I know someone put effort into making it and that person would like to feed their kids tomorrow, don't get me wrong here.

But if a cosmetic item that provides no benefit in the game is going to cost me $66 on top of my original $34 dollar patronage, then that is pretty rude for Wargaming to do. This isn't going to drive me to stop buying things I desire that they sell, but they are going about thinking we are going to be fooled and buy $5 of manpower for $66 dollars. I for one, am not taking the hook, line, and sinker on this one.  

What do you guys think? For real, even if you are one of those people who only fly the Military Month Contributor flag and doesn't care about the others, make a comment.

Edited by Battleship_MaineMk1
  • Cool 8

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

It would have been $66 back then too, the cosmetic flags are an added incentive to get the biggest bundle. 

But on the plus side, I guarantee that the flag will now pop up as a personal offer for the upgrade to ultimate bundle that pops up every so often for premiums that you own, but did not get the flag for.

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
3 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

It would have been $66 back then too, the cosmetic flags are an added incentive to get the biggest bundle. 

But on the plus side, I guarantee that the flag will now pop up as a personal offer for the upgrade to ultimate bundle that pops up every so often for premiums that you own, but did not get the flag for.

Fair winds and following seas captain! :Smile_honoring:

But the thing is, I have to sit on my butt and wait for something everyone else can have in the immediate for an initial cost, while I have to put more money on top of what I paid. And the thing is, while personal missions are nice, it just makes no sense why I can't walk into the premium shop and pick up a $5 virtual towel to fly from the yard-arm. 

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,440 posts
6,631 battles
7 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

But the thing is, I have to sit on my butt and wait for something everyone else can have in the immediate for an initial cost, while I have to put more money on top of what I paid. And the thing is, while personal missions are nice, it just makes no sense why I can't walk into the premium shop and pick up a $5 virtual towel to fly from the yard-arm. 

Is a virtual towel even worth 5$?

But I agree with the general drift of your post.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,888 battles

You're not paying $66 for a flag.

You're paying $66 for the ships value in doubloons ($34), hundreds of signals ($17), a port slot (~$3), 10-point commander, 10,000 extra doubloons ($44), and a flag.

The doubloons alone that you would gain are a $78 value, so right there you're already getting more than you pay for.

• Cool 2

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
Just now, Deno said:

You're not paying $66 for a flag.

You're paying $66 for the ships value in doubloons ($34), hundreds of signals ($17), a port slot (~$3), 10-point commander, 10,000 extra doubloons ($44), and a flag.

The doubloons alone that you would gain are a $78 value, so right there you're already getting more than you pay for.

But the point is, I am still forced to shell out $66 dollars for something that should be otherwise sold separately. It is not like Indi is a new ship, she is an older premium, and people who already bought it are stuck like me, wanting the nice flag (if they so desire it) but can't have it unless they shell out a copious amount of money.

Yeah, I might get $78 dollars in value, but did I really need all of that when the one item I needed was a simple cosmetic?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

I'm tempted to pick up that bundle just for the doubloons.  I think my Indianapolis sucks.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
317 posts
4,888 battles
Just now, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

But the point is, I am still forced to shell out $66 dollars for something that should be otherwise sold separately. It is not like Indi is a new ship, she is an older premium, and people who already bought it are stuck like me, wanting the nice flag (if they so desire it) but can't have it unless they shell out a copious amount of money.

Yeah, I might get $78 dollars in value, but did I really need all of that when the one item I needed was a simple cosmetic?

Other than wanting it just for collecting it, there's no real value to the flag since it doesn't provide any bonuses.  It's honestly not that big of a deal.

Now, if Wargaming started giving out bundle-only flags that had bonuses, it would be a different matter...

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,037 posts
8,580 battles
1 minute ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

But the point is, I am still forced to shell out $66 dollars for something that should be otherwise sold separately. 

The only flag I fly is the Corgi one, because I think it's funny. Nobody's forcing you to purchase a flag, even if it comes bundled with other items. I'd say that 99% of the playerbase never looks at the flags a ship is flying. Maybe there are one or two super-unicums that have the signal flags memorized and can tell how someone is spec'd out because of them but who really cares about the other flags?

[MEIST]
Members
768 posts
2,917 battles
11 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

You don't have to shell out anything.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
Just now, jager_geist said:

You don't have to shell out anything.

That isn't the point here at all. By there actions, they have made a statement. That is what it is about. This has nothing to do with being forced, this has to do with how I am being viewed as a paying customer, and what my dollar means to them.

• Cool 1

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles
41 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

While this issue may seem like a little one, I want to bring this up because I feel as if this issue is bigger than one might believe.

Wargaming has released, as we all can tell on the main page, a new bundle for Indianapolis. (Link here) It now includes what looks like a really cool commemorative flag to the Indi. However, here is the problem.

It costs $66 dollars.

Now while I see someone who is first buying the ship to get major benefits out of it, what about current owners of the ship? I have already owned the ship for 6 months, and have been a proud player and owner of the vessel.

But what wargaming has essentially told me is that my patronage to the game meant little to them. I never had an initial option to get the ship with a flag back when it cost $34 dollars or-so, and now that it has a flag, I am being told to pay.......$66 dollars for it. $66 dollars isn't a figure people can just toss around like it's going out of style. That is a sizeable chunk of money in this economy where things are tight in some areas. But by me, an original owner of the ship, having zero options to get the flag al-la-carte, I think is really rude. My $34 dollars weren't green enough the first time that now you need to give me a $66 dollar paywall for the flag? I think that is a little slap-in-the-face in it's nature.

Now, if wargaming had an option in the shop for existing owners to get the flag for $5-6 dollars, or an in-game doubloon option, I would be the first one to chuck the credit-card at it. I am not demanding I get the flag for free because I know someone put effort into making it and that person would like to feed their kids tomorrow, don't get me wrong here.

But if a cosmetic item that provides no benefit in the game is going to cost me $66 on top of my original $34 dollar patronage, then that is pretty rude for Wargaming to do. This isn't going to drive me to stop buying things I desire that they sell, but they are going about thinking we are going to be fooled and buy $5 of manpower for $66 dollars. I for one, am not taking the hook, line, and sinker on this one.  

What do you guys think? For real, even if you are one of those people who only fly the Military Month Contributor flag and doesn't care about the others, make a comment.

Yea Indianapolis is not worth the cost WG has been asking for it, flag or not. Lately these prices have been getting ever more outrageous. 

• Cool 2

[MEIST]
Members
768 posts
2,917 battles
2 minutes ago, Battleship_MaineMk1 said:

I am still forced to shell out $66 dollars for something that should be otherwise sold separately

That isn't the point here at all. By there actions, they have made a statement. That is what it is about. This has nothing to do with being forced, this has to do with how I am being viewed as a paying customer, and what my dollar means to them.

You said you were being forced, so what is it. Are they forcing you or not? You are really blowing this out of portion. The ship isn't really good and the flag does nothing. It is a non-issue.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
2 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

You said you were being forced, so what is it. Are they forcing you or not? You are really blowing this out of portion. The ship isn't really good and the flag does nothing. It is a non-issue.

"Forced" in this case means, that as the consumer, I am given one option and one option alone for something that the producer knows is desireable.  

Edited by Battleship_MaineMk1

[LEGIT]
[LEGIT]
Beta Testers
39 posts
13,532 battles
4 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

The POINT is he would LIKE to have the flag (as would I . Have owned this ship since it first came out). Stats on a flag aren’t the ONLY thing some people worry about in this game. And it may be a non -issue with you. But it is an issue with Mr. Maine. Myself included. I almost would buy this bundle for the xtra but I already have over 600 days premium time and 33 k dumb bloons . 

Thnx. Carry on .

• Cool 1

Members
11,026 posts

This thread> "I want to give WG free money for nothing, but they aren't letting me give the amount of money I want to, wahh"

Why the hell do you want a cosmetic flag anyway?

Edited by issm
  • Cool 3

[MEIST]
Members
768 posts
2,917 battles

Well, send in a ticket. I'm not the only one here that thinks it's a non-issue. In fact, if you read through the comments, most agree with me.

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
5 minutes ago, jager_geist said:

Well, send in a ticket. I'm not the only one here that thinks it's a non-issue. In fact, if you read through the comments, most agree with me.

The bigger picture here is that wargaming updates content and doesn't care about the pre-existing infrastructure. 

And this isn't a "more people agree with me so I win" discussion, sorry to let you down.

[WOLF6]
Members
660 posts
3,561 battles

Actually 10000 gold is $44.  the flags are about $15.

So were in the market for gold and the flags, then you actually get the ship, port slot, 10-pt captain, and the Indianapolis flag for $6.

If you already own the ship, don't you get 7500 doubloons for the ship as well?

So 17500 doubloons and the economic signals, another 10-point captain is essentially what you are getting.

Edited by wtfovr

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,915 battles
Just now, wtfovr said:

Actually 10000 gold is $44.  the flags are about $15.

So were in the market for gold and the flags, then you actually get the ship, port slot, 10-pt captain, and the Indianapolis flag for $6.

If you already own the ship, don't you get doubloons for the ship as well?

Yes, but the fact is that I still have to pay $66 for $6 of content that is valuable when I have already proven my loyalty as a customer to them.

[CDMX]
Members
94 posts
5,071 battles
7 minutes ago, issm said:

This thread> "I want to give WG free money for nothing, but they aren't letting me give the amount of money I want, wahh:

Correct.

The thing is, if it generate VALUE for you, it cost money, no matter what. The balance of what you VALUE vs company COST + PROFIT,  will make you pay the PRICE... or not.

That is bussiness and I think its very fair.

In other words. See the case of McDonald´s vs Joe´s Coffee. The Joe´s is cheaper but maybe don´t add the VALUE you want in Mc´s product.

If my Grandpa, were alive, will said : " But that´s a scandal... Who in perfect sanity will pay the double for the same ". Today, my nephew say: " I want the colourful with little clown one.. and I want it now " ... :Smile-_tongue:

The good thing is... IMHO, You don´t have to take it

[NDA]
Supertester, Alpha Tester
5,472 posts
4,053 battles

Since the flag wasn't an option when the Indianapolis was first sold, I do get why players would want a separate flag-only bundle.

But the problem with this is that players who pay $66 mainly for the ship and the flag will complain about how others payed $34 for the ship-only bundle from six months ago, plus $6 and a few months of waiting for a flag-only bundle. The price difference is just too much. Currently, I think that the random $15 flag bundle offers are a good compromise.

[VOP]
Members
329 posts
6,760 battles

I agree that they should offer the flags separately for those that truly want them and for those that got the ship prior to their new and improved "bundle". But I see what WG is doing in only offering it as part of a bundle because they are trying to land the bigger fish and do not care about the smaller game...That seems to be their entire money making strategy period.

Eventually that will catch them up cause everyone will have everything in their tech tree lines or premiums and people will stop buying. If they took half the time to completely consider all options instead of rushing obscenely large packages out the door they might make more money over the longer haul than just quick cash. Adding new things ad hoc doesn't help either and dissing your current player base over new [steam] players will cost them.

Until I can fly two flags however this point is moot. :Smile_hiding:

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Well, they do offer personal missions you can buy for $15 or so in game for premiums you don't have the flag for. They're random but they do happen. I'm a little sad to see I can't just buy the flag by itself too since it wasn't there when I first got the premium. I'd be a lot more put off if it were a ship I cared more about like Tirpitz though. 

Now the nitpick... I don't think they have a "policy" about flags and "disingenuous" doesn't accurately describe this situation at all. They aren't pretending to know less than they do and they aren't lying to you. They're just not offering a cheap option for those who already bought this ship. It's inconsiderate at best and greedy at worst, but it's not disingenuous. I'm of the view that criticism lands most firmly when it's done accurately. Using words that don't apply greatly softens the blow. 

Sign in to follow this