You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
mustangman6579

What's the point of smoke on DDs now?

40 comments in this topic

[5D3]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
1,148 posts
4,208 battles

With the huge nerf and radar being everywhere, Smoke on DDs seems completely worthless. The only ones that can use smoke effectively now, is cruisers. Because they have the range to use smoke and not be radar'd or just plain spotted do to the huge nerf to smoke. 

Can't even smoke your team anymore, unless no one ever fires a gun. 

RIP DD players and smoke. 

• Cool 2

WoWS Wiki Editor
7,205 posts
6,433 battles

It's a get-out-of-jail Card for that BB that overextended. As Long as that Player is not braindead he'll appreciate the smoke wall, don't fire and turn. He won't sit still, he won't fire, he'll just turn 180° without risking shots into his broadside.

Also smoke works over Long distances as well, so laying a smoke wall can conceal even the Battleships firing at medium to Long range.

• Cool 1

[DRACS]
Members
3,349 posts

People keep talking about Radar as if it's absolutely everywhere and even a small fishing boat has it. Smoke is still supremely useful to DDs. it also provides a visual screen to your team, and although battleships can no longer fire their guns from smoke and remain invisible, once the 20 seconds is up, they'll disappear from view, even if they are just a few km away. It's still great for allowing your team to sneak a cap undetected as long as they are aware of their smoke firing spotting ranges. It's still great for protecting a teammate who's under heavy fire and trying to run.

• Cool 5

[FAE]
Members
2,117 posts
2,507 battles

TRUST ME, YOU/I WISHED WE HAD IT WHEN WE FIND OURSELVES WITHOUT IT. 

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,106 posts
18,628 battles

Smoke on a RN CL is a invitation to noob BB to either push you out of the smoke so they can "use" it or start firing so that you can take the salvos for them.

[HINON]
WoWS Wiki Editor, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
6,498 posts
3,751 battles

Most all destroyers have less than 3km detection in smoke while firing. Nothing has changed for destroyers in regards to smoke firing.

• Cool 3

Members
6,626 posts
25,277 battles

DDs are fine with the current smoke in Random. It works as before. If you shoot from smoke, your auto-detection goes from 2km to 2.2km/2.5km depending on gun size.

It still covers friendlies when they need it, just that BBs cannot shoot from smoke as before, so it is a nerf to BBs and in smaller measure to cruisers.

Radar is a nuisance but it is of limited duration. Where radar is a serious problem for DDs rendering almost totally ineffective is in Clan Wars. Playing a Gearing vs two Des Moines and two Moskvas in a concentrated area is impossible so I gave up DDs in CW until the meta changes.

• Cool 1

[R-F1]
Beta Testers
1,844 posts
6,743 battles
2 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

You can still use it to be defensive

Unless you're that special kind of dd player who smokes up 5km in front of a des Moines thinking it's like the t-rex in Jurassic park where if you don't move he won't see you.

• Cool 2

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,205 battles

DD smoke is useful for everything it used to be useful for except covering battleships. 

Yeah... Its fukin worthless. 

• Cool 1

[SF-A]
Members
2,848 posts
5,548 battles

A Kagero saved me (in my Martel) from a Zao in a smoke screen just yesterday. It's still an integral part of team play.

[BLUE_]
Members
385 posts
14,094 battles
4 hours ago, mustangman6579 said:

With the huge nerf and radar being everywhere, Smoke on DDs seems completely worthless. The only ones that can use smoke effectively now, is cruisers. Because they have the range to use smoke and not be radar'd or just plain spotted do to the huge nerf to smoke. 

"Because they have the range to use smoke and not be radar'd or just plain spotted"

Don't tell me you are one of those DD players that can't hit anything targets further than 4km away, because that's the firing detection from smoke with the DDs that really have a bad concealment. That would be some serious problems there bud. And about radar it's in the game for a good time already, and you didn't manage to avoid it yet!?

"Can't even smoke your team anymore, unless no one ever fires a gun."

That's only true to BBs and some CAs. They can still use it if they stay quiet.

"RIP DD players and smoke."

Tell that to my Gearing when she faces 2 Des Moines and 2 Moskvas during CWs battles and still does an awesome job. Like dealing with DDs that isn't a Khaba (that thing is not a DD BTW), torping, denying areas, spotting, reconnaissance (because no CVs in CWs), baiting radar and much more

[TBOW]
Members
1,178 posts
10,416 battles

Okay when I am a BB my hats off everytime a DD drops a smoke bomb for me to start a retreat.  That out of the way.  From KM BB side, you get me in where I can use my secondaries and have another KM BB with me, you get a huge praise.  Cause I have learned that I can still be rather effective with a broadside of secondaries going off from within smoke, that means get me within that sweet spot of 10km and I will just let the secondaries do their thing.

[OPG]
Members
3,883 posts
5,476 battles
2 minutes ago, Cpt_JM_Nascimento said:

Tell that to my Gearing when she faces 2 Des Moines and 2 Moskvas during CWs battles and still does an awesome job. Like dealing with DDs that isn't a Khaba (that thing is not a DD BTW), torping, denying areas, spotting, reconnaissance (because no CVs in CWs), baiting radar and much more

Speaking of Clan Battles.....I have seen some teams that made great use of smoke, either to mask a push/retreat, or even in an offensive measure.  We encountered one team that dropped a long smoke screen out in the open 14-15km away from us, and used a pair of smoked up Hindenburgs to chase us away from the cap.  I have to say I was pretty impressed as their use of smoke was single handily responsible for beating us that battle.  

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,771 posts
12,878 battles

I was smoked three times in my Des Moines last night in a very close T10 game.  It made the difference in the win.  130K damage...AND...I survived.

Giving a BB a breather to heal is big too.  Not to mention a secondary spec'd BB can keep dealing out damage while concealed.  And once healed...or just noticing the close BBs have traversed to someone else, you can still use the mains to good effect.  And still have the option to go silent if you get re-focused.  Sometimes just KNOWING a BB is in there...loaded and ready...is a deterrent.

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles

To provide concealment and affect line of sight. Try learning to play the game that you have now instead of whining about the one that you don’t.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
196 posts
5,634 battles

shhhhhh

Don't tell OP that smoke has essentially not changed for DD's..  he will continue to misunderstand game mechanics and not use it = free kills in game.       

[PWH]
Members
242 posts

Summary: Stop assuming smoke is a way to deal damage with impunity and you’ll be fine.

Members
17,763 posts
5,084 battles
On 15/11/2017 at 6:13 AM, Erebthoron said:

Smoke on a RN CL is a invitation to noob BB to either push you out of the smoke so they can "use" it or start firing so that you can take the salvos for them.

Not so much anymore, as people figure out the new rules.

A smoke cloud far enough out for a BB to use is pretty far out for an RN CL anyway.

[PT8TO]
Members
1,402 posts
12,810 battles

My DesMoines still likes smoke :cap_rambo: I have not even noticed it was Nerfed lol

The key element still is the DD though, they have to be aware and work with me.

The DD has to know when to smoke, where to smoke and then get out there and spot without being blown away.

[HEROS]
Members
1,396 posts
11,810 battles

far from useless.  Most DD's can sit in smoke and shell away.. Yes radar is an issue.. but, know the the duration of the radar (from the ship using it) and you'll know when you cant be spotted again in smoke.

I run a tier 8 Akizuki in my collection set up with AFT and allowing me to reach out to 15 Km for targets.. I find myself a ood spot, chop the throttle and start blazing away in my smoke..pumping a salvo out every 2.7 seconds (by running BFT for the ROF increase)  To far away for the radar ships to pin point me, I can turn an entire flank with guns alone with just a little bit of support.  In A Destroyer.   There quite a few DD's that can pull this off.  Smoke is still a useful defensive tool, and useful in a passive offensive role.  Just gotta learn what those are and you'll be fine.  And there's all ways low tiers.. 6 or lower, where RADAR isn't an issue.   

It's not the end of the world as we know it.  DD players do need to be more careful.   

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 4:32 AM, mustangman6579 said:

I get you. Intraweb know it alls here. I had a great game with two dds who attempted to smoke me as I was in a BB and I stayed detected long enough that had I not moved I would have been citadeled  and torped. I felt bad for them as they were playing great and doing the right thing and yet all they did was waste their smoke.

[O7]
Supertester, Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
10,662 posts
7,555 battles

Its still useful, it just is no longer a "lol I am safe now" ability, you have to make sure you are far enough away from potential detection. The smoke detection range of guns is mostly dependent on gun caliber so BBs can basically only hide. CAs need 7-10 km (more for moskva and Henry) to be unspotted firing in smoke, CLs need 5-6 km and DDs are much less. The Gearing for example is 2.83 km so you will still be out spotted by hydro before your guns light you up in your smoke. 

Members
17,763 posts
5,084 battles
13 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

I get you. Intraweb know it alls here. I had a great game with two dds who attempted to smoke me as I was in a BB and I stayed detected long enough that had I not moved I would have been citadeled  and torped. I felt bad for them as they were playing great and doing the right thing and yet all they did was waste their smoke.

I'm missing something. How did the smoke changes impact that scenario? 

Do you mean that they were smoking you while you were firing?