You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
The_first_harbinger

A Potentially hot selling tier 8 premium...forgotten...

70 comments in this topic

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles

I'm referring, of course, to Tone. She was modeled in-game and was super-tested for a period of time...

Then WG just kinda...forgotten her. Maybe WG just wasn't resourceful enough back then to make Tone viable and unique back then?

Now they certainly can.

I can see Tone having a unique place in WoWs. My idea is that by default the Tone launches two fighters or spotters at once, which could be upgraded to three with captain skills. I came up with another idea of a unique consumable for her, called "reinforced scout sweep", in which the aircrafts of the Tone expand their circular flight pattern to a certain degree and flies at an accelerated speed, serving as dd spotters and/or effective CV strike counter.

As for anti-surface engagement, Tone may have only 4 turrets all mounted at the bow, but:

ijn-cruiser-tone-0029.jpg

The Turret traverse angles both toward bow and rear are quite decent!

Compared to Mogami's:

Mogami-1.jpg

I see no reason how she can't be an interesting ship to play, perhaps even competitive. Her citadel is shorter and much of it is underwater, her potential gimmick can be very powerful, the combination of good 35kts traditional IJN speed, good concealment, hard-hitting 203mm IJN napalm launcher(with potentially buffed ROF) and reasonable AA can really make her an attractive premium. Combined with her unique scouting tool, she can be very flexible, both as an aggressive dd hunter, and a decent sterotypical long range HE spammer.

Plus, to those with an acquired taste, the IJN Tone is a true looker!

tam78024_1.jpg

Edited by The_first_harbinger
  • Cool 6

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles

What makes you think the average person playing this game would know about this ship and want to buy it? Nearly all premium ships have well known names (Hood, Texas, Enterprise, etc.), I don't think anyone would know about an obscure Japanese cruiser, especially here on the NA server.

• Bad 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,441 battles
8 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

I don't think anyone would know about an obscure Japanese cruiser, especially here on the NA server.

The repeated mentions of and requests for Tone proves that there's at least a moderate amount of interest on this server.

• Cool 5

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,722 posts
7,354 battles
13 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

What makes you think the average person playing this game would know about this ship and want to buy it? Nearly all premium ships have well known names (Hood, Texas, Enterprise, etc.), I don't think anyone would know about an obscure Japanese cruiser, especially here on the NA server.

Incorrect, in many ways. Tone featured in WW2 quite a bit, and more, she's routinely asked for just here on the forums, and I've seen many ask about it in game.

Tone is far from obscure. The Russian ships, now those, many of those, are obscure.

• Cool 4

[HINON]
[HINON]
Beta Testers
5,913 posts
5,204 battles

Tone is a pretty well known ship... especially in this community. I think the reason why she isn't in game has far less to do with fame of the ship and far more to do with the fact that after working on it for well over a year, they haven't found a way to give it compelling gameplay that makes her aircraft more than a pointless side show tacked onto an overall lackluster ship. Don't take that to mean I don't think Tone would be uninteresting. Hell I'd almost certain buy it unless it was KrispyKreme levels of bad, unless it's aircraft are more capable than being just a glorified catapult fighter consumable, what is left over is a t7/t8 CA with good speed and stealth, meh protection, meh AA, only 8 guns in an awkward as balls layout, and 3x4 torps in yet another awkward arrangement.

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts

Tone (and Ise BBV, and maybe theoretical Mogami CAV conversions) are tied to the CV rework.

WG is waiting to release those as hybrid air/surface ships, IIRC.

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles
Just now, TheKrimzonDemon said:

Incorrect, in many ways. Tone featured in WW2 quite a bit, and more, she's routinely asked for just here on the forums, and I've seen many ask about it in game.

6 minutes ago, Lert said:

The repeated mentions of and requests for Tone proves that there's at least a moderate amount of interest on this server.

There are users out there who try hard to suggest ships trying to be the first, you can say many strange ships have been suggest with the same interest as this one.

Most sales of premium ships are going to be users who haven't asked for a ship to be added - the silent majority in this case. Those players only know a handful or two of ship names, and I doubt Tone is one of them. If you approach a random player just getting into the game and ask them about the ship, chances are in favour of them not heaving hear about it. Those users are also the target audience of other premiums in this game. 

These suggestions mean nothing about how good a ship will sell, and WG knows that. This ship, and a few others would be in the game already if that was different. WG has higher priorities, and progress with this ship shows that.

There's another (mainly plane based) game out there that WG's competing with. Many of their premium items are vehicles that stand out from the others and are surely strange (just like this ship). But those premium items of theirs being strange doesn't necessarily make them good sellers, in fact they're some of the rarer vehicles to come across in that game.

And what's the main selling point of this ship the OP's talking about? The strangeness of the design compared to others in game.

[-TAB-]
Members
1,597 posts
5,126 battles
42 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

I would like to place an early pre release order now, please find the funds deposited on account in the premium shop.

loved the mogami, moreso than the atago, for the faster reload. with actual AA stuff to contribute, and a way to be fearsome vs DDs, what's not to like? plus I could get past the front turret thing in a hurry.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,795 posts
18,678 battles

As soon as the Tone come's out as a premium I for one will be buying her ! ! ! 

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,029 battles
3 hours ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

Remember kids, all premium ships are not well known!  Except for the Saipan (haha whats that), Kaga (weeb ship), Graf Zep (never finished), Tachibana (whats that), Cambelton (generic flushdecker), Sims (generic USN DD), and [REDACTED]!

Edited by Slntreaper
  • Cool 1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,311 posts
9,395 battles

If IJN Tone and IJN Ise are to use CV mechanics, then WG would be best served by waiting until most of the CV rework is done before trying to cobble together surface ship and CV controls and game play in a way that doesn't melt players brains.

Now, if they were to use something akin to the floatplane mechanics, where you would have floatplane divebombers where you pick a target, launch, and the floatplanes do their thing and return, waiting on the CV rework wouldn't matter.

• Cool 1

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles
1 hour ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

"A POTENTIALLhot-selling tier 8 premium"

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles
12 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

Remember kids, all premium ships are not well known!  Except for the Saipan (haha whats that), Kaga (weeb ship), Graf Zep (never finished), Tachibana (whats that), Cambelton (generic flushdecker), Sims (generic USN DD), and Dunkerque (spent entire war repeatedly on the bottom of the seafloor)!

In attempting to disprove my point, you decided to offend fans of the ships you mentioned by trying to claim they have no important history. Many of those mentioned were implemented in this game for their place in ship development or stories involving them at war or at sea.

I know you have a hate boner for me, but please do some research and provide actual information to back up your point. That's kind of taking it too far.

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,029 battles
10 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

In attempting to disprove my point, you decided to offend fans of the ships you mentioned by trying to claim they have no important history. Many of those mentioned were implemented in this game for their place in ship development or stories involving them at war or at sea.

I know you have a hate boner for me, but please do some research and provide actual information to back up your point. That's kind of taking it too far.

Yeah, but most of them aren't big household names unlike as the Hood or Tirpitz.  In the same way, the Tone is a not as well known ship compared to your big names, yet it still has naval history.

Also the only reason why I dislike you is because you literally manipulated a person (who was trying to call your [edited]) into lying for you and called it friendship.  That's next level crap.

• Cool 1

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles
4 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

Yeah, but most of them aren't big household names unlike as the Hood or Tirpitz.  In the same way, the Tone is a not as well known ship compared to your big names, yet it still has naval history.

Also the only reason why I dislike you is because you literally manipulated a person (who was trying to call your [edited]) into lying for you and called it friendship.  That's next level crap.

I see you called your clanmates here to upvote you, but those mean nothing since there are other users here who bandwagon with trolls. You're trying to prove a point that has been already pointed out in the thread above, try reading it. Tone's naval history isn't as amazing compared to Saipan's, and other ships you mentioned. Because it has a naval history doesn't mean it's worthy of selling, a naval history is anything like sailing in the ocean or going from port to port.

Also, Tirpitz isn't a big household name in North America (our server region) and some other parts of the world. It only sold well because of being related to Bismarck.

I dislike you because you attempt to manipulate me into giving you my real name and other information, in addition to your attitude and users you try to side with.

[KENT]
Members
480 posts
3,029 battles
Just now, HowitzerBlitzer said:

I see you called your clanmates here to upvote you, but those mean nothing since there are other users here who bandwagon with trolls. You're trying to prove a point that has been already pointed out in the thread above, try reading it. Tone's naval history isn't as amazing compared to Saipan's, and other ships you mentioned. Because it has a naval history doesn't mean it's worthy of selling, a naval history is anything like sailing in the ocean or going from port to port.

Also, Tirpitz isn't a big household name in North America (our server region) and some other parts of the world. It only sold well because of being related to Bismarck.

I dislike you because you attempt to manipulate me into giving you my real name and other information, in addition to your attitude and users you try to side with.

There's a lot of stuff we need to talk about here.  Let's start this out.

1. I cut relations with [N1NJA] for the most part.  I have... let's see... 1? other clanmate, who doesn't even play that much WoWs.  So uh, I guess you can't really say that I called anyone over here.  

2. Saipan has a naval history, yes it does.  Let's see... It was a carrier that fought in multiple wars, tested jet airplanes, this and that.  The Tone also has a rich naval history and it would be a unique addition to the game.  In addition, lots of other uses agree with me when I state that lots of people want the Tone in game for various reasons, be it history or the idea of having more than one floatplane in the air at once.  Plus it would be a good way to test new mechanics such as surface ship/CV combos.  I don't know, people want it.  

3. Tirpitz is a pretty big name over in NA, as on warships.today there are 3.5M games logged on it.  It's the 16th most played ship in WoWs period.  You don't get that far by being just a Bismarck clone.  Besides, if people wanted the Bismarck, why wouldn't they just grind to the Bismarck?  

4. I have never tried to doxx you.  If it seemed like I tried to at one point, rest assured, I was probably meming.  

5. Let's see who I side with... A respected CC of WoT, the best E25 player on NA, and players who work tirelessly to find exploits so WG can patch them.  Such a terrible crew to hang out with...  Stop being salty that you were kicked from a Discord with these people and move on like I did.  

I don't feel like delving into personal attacks, if the mods could lock this here so I don't get more baited by the troll, that would be great.  

• Cool 1

[KENT]
Members
32 posts
2,926 battles
2 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

1. I cut relations with [N1NJA] for the most part.  I have... let's see... 1? other clanmate, who doesn't even play that much WoWs.  So uh, I guess you can't really say that I called anyone over here.  

2. Saipan has a naval history, yes it does.  Let's see... It was a carrier that fought in multiple wars, tested jet airplanes, this and that.  The Tone also has a rich naval history and it would be a unique addition to the game.  In addition, lots of other uses agree with me when I state that lots of people want the Tone in game for various reasons, be it history or the idea of having more than one floatplane in the air at once.  Plus it would be a good way to test new mechanics such as surface ship/CV combos.  I don't know, people want it.  

3. Tirpitz is a pretty big name over in NA, as on warships.today there are 3.5M games logged on it.  It's the 16th most played ship in WoWs period.  You don't get that far by being just a Bismarck clone.  Besides, if people wanted the Bismarck, why wouldn't they just grind to the Bismarck?  

4. I have never tried to doxx you.  If it seemed like I tried to at one point, rest assured, I was probably meming.  

5. Let's see who I side with... A respected CC of WoT, the best E25 player on NA, and players who work tirelessly to find exploits so WG can patch them.  Such a terrible crew to hang out with...  Stop being salty that you were kicked from a Discord with these people and move on like I did.  

I don't feel like delving into personal attacks, if the mods could lock this here so I don't get more baited by the troll, that would be great.  

Has 666 games on WoWs today signature, obviously the devil.

dark.png

Mods pls ban. Kappa.

Edited by TwinTanker

Members
1,904 posts
2,492 battles
19 minutes ago, Slntreaper said:

1. I initially put "friend" but switched it to "clanmate" later on because I had a feeling you'd have a comeback to that reply, and was playing it safe. 
  2. I confused Saipan with a carrier of the Yorktown class, Saipan only sold well due to its gimmicks.
  3. On the NA server and this game, yes. But outside of the game, it is not a household name in North America.
  4. I said I replicated my own name with a tank crewmember in WoT, and then weeks later you asked me for the name of that crewmember, I have no idea how that was simply a meme. The other part where you talked about IP may have been a meme, but real life information is nothing to joke about, and you should know that.
  5. I wasn't kicked, I left on my own terms after you and another member started harassing me for the 3rd time in a week, ask that CC's "girl friend," she'll tell you. And I'm aware that you were kicked as a result of it at some point, so if anyone's salty it's you.

You delved into personal attacks first yourself by calling me manipulative.

Also, if you want to reply and keep talking to yourself, go ahead. I'm off for the night so I can get up for my shift before you say I'm avoiding making replies.

Edited by HowitzerBlitzer

[KENT]
Members
32 posts
2,926 battles
11 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:
  1. I initially put "friend" but switched it to "clanmate" later on because I had a feeling you'd have a comeback to that reply, and was playing it safe. 
  2. I confused Saipan with a carrier of the Yorktown class, Saipan only sold well due to its gimmicks.
  3. On the NA server and this game, yes. But outside of the game, it is not a household name in North America.
  4. I said I replicated my own name with a tank crewmember in WoT, and then weeks later you asked me for the name of that crewmember, I have no idea how that was simply a meme. The other part where you talked about IP may have been a meme, but real life information is nothing to joke about, and you should know that.
  5. I wasn't kicked, I left on my own terms after you and another member started harassing me for the 3rd time in a week, ask that CC's "girl friend," she'll tell you. And I'm aware that you were kicked as a result of it at some point, so if anyone's salty it's you.

You delved into personal attacks first yourself by calling me manipulative.

Hey look, this guy is still a troll on WoWs forums. I'll respond to this one, and the others too, I may as well.

1. I assume you referring to me as "that friend." Well, yes, I would say that I do play with @Slntreaper quite a bit still.

2. Then wouldn't the Tone sell well, since it has a gimmick?

3. For ease, I'll refer to Asia server, since that and NA are the biggest servers for WoWs I believe. The "Derpitz" still has 2.7 M games on the Asia server, and is in 24th place for most played ship.

4. I mean I would be curious too, but I wouldn't go around calling that doxxing. It's a curious person asking for something that YOU brought up.

5. LOL! This is gold. You were kicked out of the Discord; source is that I'm still in it and kicking. If you want proof, I'll ask Scorpiany, our favorite goat CC on the server. Also, how would you know about the CC's girlfriend? Are you perhaps a stalker?!

...but real life information is nothing to joke about...

Oh yeah, and about this: 

31 minutes ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

I see you called your clanmates here to upvote you

Just because you said that, I will ask my clanmates to come over and upvote Slntreaper. It probably won't happen, but it does show you what happens when you ask for it. For the record, I did upvote Slntreaper's comments when you said that, just to spite you :P.

Personal attacks are not ok, so I'm going to say we should take this somewhere else. In case you want to settle manners privately, and not make a spectacle in front of everyone that actually want to talk about the Tone, here's my Discord. Feel free to add me and we can definitely talk this out.

TwinTanker#4318.

Edited by TwinTanker
idk how to use this forum formatting yet

Members
3,551 posts
6,867 battles
1 hour ago, HowitzerBlitzer said:

and Dunkerque (spent entire war repeatedly on the bottom of the seafloor)!

Incorrectly quoted.

[This is just appallingly insensitive to the the French sailors that lost their lives attempting to get the ship under way, tied up at Mers-el-Kebir, when the British fleet surprise attacked them in harbour in 1940. She was beached and finally sunk in shallow water.

The war started in 1939 right? You toss about the term "history" displaying a plangent ignorance thereof.]

Edited by Stauffenberg44