You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AllysaRockz

Confused and Mildly Concerned - Power Flickering (Solved)

25 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

Problem Solved

Okay, this is quite straight forward to explain, but I really hope it's straightforward to fix, because as of right now WOWS is literally unplayable. And considering I just got a ten point IJN Captain and 24hrs of premium time, unplayable is not what I want to hear right now.

When I'm using my computer normally without the game open, everything runs fine. The forum works, my music works, my discord works, everything is fine. However, as of about fifty minutes ago when I was playing WOWS, the game started to slow down and my screen was flickering. As in, my power kept on connecting and disconnecting. One second my laptop would be charging and then the next it would stop charging, and the screen would flicker to let me know that it was now on battery. It keeps doing this over and over and over again, without fail while I have WOWS open. Now that I have it closed again, EVERYTHING is fine again. Can someone please explain as to why the game would be causing this?

When I saw this first start happening, I restarted my computer and updated it, thinking it had something to do with the update windows was trying to give me. After updating however, this problem persists and I have absolutely no idea why the game is messing with my laptops charging functions.

... HELP, PLEASE

Edited by AllysaRockz

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
15 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

Any aftermarket hardware on the laptop?  How old is it?

Only two years old, and no, from my understanding. Everything that came inside the laptop is what I'm using presently.

[77ARC]
Beta Testers
189 posts

Sounds like your laptop power supply is failing with the additional power draw created by the game graphics.  Do you have another supply you can try?

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Wow, you really need a computer pro now.  I'm not sorry...the only thing I can think of is to try and reduce your graphic settings.  Perhaps you have a GPU or cooling fan that is failing or the heat exchanger is clogged and thus drawing too much current from your battery and/or charger.  Are you running on integrated graphics or does your laptop have a second GPU? 

[SWOB]
[SWOB]
Alpha Tester
1,143 posts
6,479 battles

The only real way for this to actually be connected to the game is if you have a flaky power supply or you are running a bit too close to the maximum output of the power supply in the computer.  It's possible, though fairly unlikely these days, that you could be drawing too much current when you start a resource intensive application like WoWs and it's pushing your computer past the specifications.  This is less likely if everything was working before and now you're seeing an issue all of a sudden.

That said, I'd be more inclined to think that it's a coincidence and the underlying issue is elsewhere than to assume that it's actually WoWs causing the problem.

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

Dadrox, may be onto something.  Is you battery charging normally with the charger plugged in?  Heck, is the charger plugged in solidly?  I play on a laptop and if I accidentally unplug the charger my game goes to crap.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

If the computer is going from a charging state to a battery powered state, then just double check that your power settings for battery mode aren't on "power saver". This setting will reduce the performance output of hardware to save battery life. Could be a cause in why you're getting the fluctuations. The PC will throttle back it's CPU and GPU usage when in 'power saver' mode so it doesn't drain the battery in 30 minutes. This can cause things like FPS drops in games and even slow page loading in a web browser.

That probably won't fix the real issue, as it sounds more serious, but the above may let you have a smooth gameplay experience in the short term so your premium doesn't go to waste completely.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
10 minutes ago, Dadrox said:

Sounds like your laptop power supply is failing with the additional power draw created by the game graphics.  Do you have another supply you can try?

If that's the case I'm going to be REALLY mad... I literally just bought a new power charger not more than two weeks ago. It's specifically designed for the computer I'm using and has worked fine right up to this point, so that's extremely concerning.

10 minutes ago, surratus said:

Wow, you really need a computer pro now.  I'm not sorry...the only thing I can think of is to try and reduce your graphic settings.  Perhaps you have a GPU or cooling fan that is failing or the heat exchanger is clogged and thus drawing too much current from your battery and/or charger.  Are you running on integrated graphics or does your laptop have a second GPU? 

6 minutes ago, surratus said:

Dadrox, may be onto something.  Is you battery charging normally with the charger plugged in?  Heck, is the charger plugged in solidly?  I play on a laptop and if I accidentally unplug the charger my game goes to crap.

My computer is running the game with the graphics card that came with my laptop, an 'Nvidia GeForce 940M'. Again, I really hope it's not the charger because that thing is grand spanking new. And yes, my laptop starts running like c**p when I unplug the charger.

9 minutes ago, K538 said:

The only real way for this to actually be connected to the game is if you have a flaky power supply or you are running a bit too close to the maximum output of the power supply in the computer.  It's possible, though fairly unlikely these days, that you could be drawing too much current when you start a resource intensive application like WoWs and it's pushing your computer past the specifications.  This is less likely if everything was working before and now you're seeing an issue all of a sudden.

That said, I'd be more inclined to think that it's a coincidence and the underlying issue is elsewhere than to assume that it's actually WoWs causing the problem.

You guys are really concerning me with all this power supply talk...

6 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

If the computer is going from a charging state to a battery powered state, then just double check that your power settings for battery mode aren't on "power saver". This setting will reduce the performance output of hardware to save battery life. Could be a cause in why you're getting the fluctuations. The PC will throttle back it's CPU and GPU usage when in 'power saver' mode so it doesn't drain the battery in 30 minutes. This can cause things like FPS drops in games and even slow page loading in a web browser.

That probably won't fix the real issue, as it sounds more serious, but the above may let you have a smooth gameplay experience in the short term so your premium doesn't go to waste completely.

I just checked, I've had it in 'High Performance' and it's still in High Performance. I'm really not liking any of this charger talk, because I don't know if there's anything I can do about that at all...

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

is the bottom of the laptop hot or very warm?

It feels warm, but definitely not hot. My computer says it's at 55-60 degrees and while I had the game up it was at 70 degrees. Celsius, mind you.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles
22 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

I just checked, I've had it in 'High Performance' and it's still in High Performance. I'm really not liking any of this charger talk, because I don't know if there's anything I can do about that at all...

I just want to be sure, but did you check it when both plugged in and is says it's charging and when it's on battery mode? I think there's a way you can check both without doing what I'm asking, but I want to be sure because I think my old laptop only let me do that through the program built in to help regulate the power supply.

Also, a note on the GPU: The 940M is the highest low-end card from Nvidia in the 9 series. You won't be able to run the highest graphics settings with it(you may already be aware of this). I'd also try setting your in-game graphics settings to low and/or medium. See if that improves anything. My laptop that I use has a 960M, which is the second highest mid-range card you can get(the only higher one is a 965, and I don't know if Nvida makes a laptop version(which is what the 'M' at the end of the number denotes) of the 965), the high-end performance cards are the ones that start at X70 to X95(i.e. GTX 1070 would be the lowest high-performance card of the current Nvida GPU series).

Edited by GhostSwordsman

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts
1 hour ago, AllysaRockz said:

When I'm using my computer normally without the game open, everything runs fine. The forum works, my music works, my discord works, everything is fine.

UNPLUG THE POWER CORD and see if that still remains true. 

However, as of about fifty minutes ago when I was playing WOWS, the game started to slow down and my screen was flickering. As in, my power kept on connecting and disconnecting. One second my laptop would be charging and then the next it would stop charging, and the screen would flicker to let me know that it was now on battery.

I would remove and inspect the battery case, see if there is any swelling, leaks or stains. 

It keeps doing this over and over and over again, without fail while I have WOWS open. Now that I have it closed again, EVERYTHING is fine again. Can someone please explain as to why the game would be causing this?

As to why the game would be causing this - if it is the game - the graphics are indeed the biggest draw on the system for this game. 

So try my comments above - take you all of a couple minutes max... 

What I want to know is did it use to work fine running the game?

If it did, what have you done/changed on the computer since then? 

[TSG4B]
[TSG4B]
Members
1,710 posts
9,384 battles

Alien ware is what you need to be aware

It is a sign, a serious one, from above, that you need to get a new spanking laptop -google for alien ware computer

specifically build just for gaming and no more worry

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles

One last shot in the dark, cause it happened to me.  I had a windows update that for some crazy reason changed my "default" choice of my laptop Nvidea card switch to the built in Intel graphics card when using my laptop to play WoWS.  It was easily corrected in the Nvidea control console.  Look at the task bar "up arrow" lower right, while running WoWS, you'll see a "waffle box" icon called "nvidea GPU activity".  It should say 1 (or2) programs running. Left click on it and look for the WoWS icon.  If this icon is not present your laptop is running WoWS on the built in Intel graphics - not good.  And take deep breaths - LCD displays are easy to break.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
20 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

I just want to be sure, but did you check it when both plugged in and is says it's charging and when it's on battery mode? I think there's a way you can check both without doing what I'm asking, but I want to be sure because I think my old laptop only let me do that through the program built in to help regulate the power supply.

Also, a note on the GPU: The 940M is the highest low-end card from Nvidia in the 9 series. You won't be able to run the highest graphics settings with it(you may already be aware of this). I'd also try setting your in-game graphics settings to low and/or medium. See if that improves anything. My laptop that I use has a 960M, which is the second highest mid-range card you can get(the only higher one is a 965, and I don't know if Nvida makes a laptop version(which is what the 'M' at the end of the number denotes) of the 965), the high-end performance cards are the ones that start at X70 to X95(i.e. GTX 1070 would be the lowest high-performance card of the current Nvida GPU series).

Good to note; but while unplugged it's still running in High Performance, so...

11 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

So try my comments above - take you all of a couple minutes max... 

What I want to know is did it use to work fine running the game?

If it did, what have you done/changed on the computer since then? 

Unplugged it works fine, so long as I'm not running a game. The problem is that it keeps disconnecting while in WOWS, and it's causing the game to lag and slow down because my computer is no longer being charged, for some reason. Second off, remove and inspect the battery case? Where is that? And there's no way I'm opening this thing up, not without my roommate here to consult me; I'm not a techie, so I don't dare open anything up since I have no idea what I'd be doing. Finally, I played three operations in WOWS fine today, and after the final battle whilst in port, the screen began to flicker on and off, as if I was unplugging and re-plugging in my power supply. So I restarted the computer, updated it, still happening. Then I went looking for updated 'drivers' and installed the latest one the Nvidia page offered me. It's still happening. I honestly couldn't tell you what I did because it started right after my last operation that I played in WOWS.

21 minutes ago, ObiwankzKenobi said:

google for alien ware computer specifically build just for gaming and no more worry

Thanks but no thanks, I don't have three thousand dollars lying around in my purse for that sort of spending.

16 minutes ago, surratus said:

One last shot in the dark, cause it happened to me.  I had a windows update that for some crazy reason changed my "default" choice of my laptop Nvidea card switch to the built in Intel graphics card when using my laptop to play WoWS.

I got that same update, but that was after my screen flickering problem started. Updating didn't fix the problem, and the game is still using my Nvidia card, but thanks for trying.

Members
2,391 posts
5,421 battles
37 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

It feels warm, but definitely not hot. My computer says it's at 55-60 degrees and while I had the game up it was at 70 degrees. Celsius, mind you.

Thats not too hot at all but what you can do is try this experiment. Try to elevate your laptop so there is more room under it and even better is to get a fan to cool under it. Now try that and see if temp cool down will make any difference with those jitters your laptop is getting. You have nothing to loose to try this test. Good Luck.   

Members
687 posts
3,667 battles
23 minutes ago, AllysaRockz said:

I got that same update, but that was after my screen flickering problem started. Updating didn't fix the problem, and the game is still using my Nvidia card, but thanks for trying.

No worries, good luck solving the issue and let us know when and how you get it fixed.  Some day the info might help someone else. Some other grateful soul might send you premium time in response.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles

I'm still curious about the power supply.  Not the charger or the cable mind you, but the actual power supply inside the case that distributes power to the various bits and bobs that make up the laptop.  They lose their power-supplying capacity over time due to general wear and tear, and if there's not enough overhead built into the system, you could very well be hitting that limit.  

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
1 hour ago, dionkraft said:

Try to elevate your laptop so there is more room under it and even better is to get a fan to cool under it.

Already done. My laptop sits atop a fan to keep it nice and cool already, but thanks. :cap_like:

35 minutes ago, surratus said:

No worries, good luck solving the issue and let us know when and how you get it fixed.  Some day the info might help someone else. Some other grateful soul might send you premium time in response.

Yeah, here comes the confusing part... I unplugged my new charger and plugged in my old charger... problem fixed. No screen flickering, WOWS runs fine again without my charger going on and off, etc. My new charger is literally a better version of the one I have right now, without the exposed wiring and damage. So I have no idea why it suddenly just doesn't work for playing games. What that tells me though is that's $40 down the drain for something I thought would be useful. :etc_swear: It had nothing to do with the game... case closed, I guess.

Also, sorry DerKrampus, I literally got your notification that you posted here and it's too late since I've figured out my problem, but thanks nonetheless!

[-VT3-]
Members
1,606 posts
3,346 battles
1 hour ago, AllysaRockz said:

Already done. My laptop sits atop a fan to keep it nice and cool already, but thanks. :cap_like:

Yeah, here comes the confusing part... I unplugged my new charger and plugged in my old charger... problem fixed. No screen flickering, WOWS runs fine again without my charger going on and off, etc. My new charger is literally a better version of the one I have right now, without the exposed wiring and damage. So I have no idea why it suddenly just doesn't work for playing games. What that tells me though is that's $40 down the drain for something I thought would be useful. :etc_swear: It had nothing to do with the game... case closed, I guess.

Also, sorry DerKrampus, I literally got your notification that you posted here and it's too late since I've figured out my problem, but thanks nonetheless!

No worries!  Glad you got it fixed

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
1 minute ago, DerKrampus said:

No worries!  Glad you got it fixed

Yeah... just disappointed that it took me five hours to figure it out. That's a day wasted right there. :Smile_sceptic:

Members
2,391 posts
5,421 battles

The ONLY real way to find out the differences between the OLD and NEW charger is the rate of amperage they put out. The NEW one looks to be LESS and maybe just adequate enough while the OLD one has enough spare AMPS to power your laptop when the laptop requires it.  Well..the main thing is your back on track. As for losing some time - you got thrown a curve ball cuz most anyone would not immediately KNOW its a PS Issue.  and trust the NEW PS and not suspect its just barely adequate as you found out. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,265 posts

I'm still interested in the batteries. It is a laptop, most have replaceable batteries. Just a click and the battery case slides out for replacement. Normally. If the batteries are good, the power supply would be immaterial especially once the power supply was unplugged. If it does it on the batteries then the batteries are on their way out or already dead.

If they are good, it seems the problem would still be elsewhere, unless you guys think the batteries cannot provide enough power for the laptop when it is playing WoWS. I'd find that hard to believe. 

But glad you're able to play now. 

Oh yeah - make sure - if you try the new power supply - to check the specifications. They are usually stamped or labeled onto it. Also make sure you have the cords plugged into it correctly if they are removable. 

Edited by Herr_Reitz

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
5 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Oh yeah - make sure - if you try the new power supply - to check the specifications. They are usually stamped or labeled onto it. Also make sure you have the cords plugged into it correctly if they are removable. 

I've learned my lesson lol... I'm just going to buy the exact same charger that my laptop came with this time...