You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
alexc123

York or Pensacola??

13 comments in this topic

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles

I have enough exp to get either one but not the credits to get both, My capt have the same pts so that does not matter Can someone give me some ideas on which one is more fun to play, No need to take into account what tree I am trying to go higher in just interested in one of these , Any help would be great 

[NOOOB]
Members
1,437 posts
12,043 battles

Yorck any day of the week, the torps make the difference and the hydro.  Had a lot of fun and leads to the Hipper which is much better than the NO (one of the most unpleasant grinds- wait for the split to grind the rest of the American line).

Edited by Panzer1113

[TBW]
Members
6,319 posts
11,869 battles

Which tier 10 would you want to get first?

10 minutes ago, alexc123 said:

I have enough exp to get either one but not the credits to get both, My capt have the same pts so that does not matter Can someone give me some ideas on which one is more fun to play, No need to take into account what tree I am trying to go higher in just interested in one of these , Any help would be great 

Pensacola might be good to get with the upcoming split.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

I found the German tier 9 and 10 cruisers more fun to play than the American 9 and 10 cruisers.  I enjoyed both the Yorck and the Pensacola equally, so it's more about where you want to end up than anything else.  The German cruiser grind is much, much easier than the US grind, though with the upcoming split, it may be beneficial to get to the tier 9 Baltimore before they actually split it.

[O_O]
Members
4,333 posts
9,274 battles

If you get Pensacola, you might also get Helena when the US Cruiser line splits at the end of the year (ish).  And you might not want to sell Cleveland yet, either, as you also might get Dallas.  The official word from WG on how the split will be handled hasn't yet been released.  So there is one plug for the US line.  Second plug...I actually found the Pensacola to be pretty darned good, once upgraded, of course.  And, that was BEFORE her concealment buff.  I didn't mind the New Orleans grind, either.  I struggled with stock Baltimore, but now that she is fully upgraded we are getting along superbly!

Now, I found Yorck to be pretty capable.  I did okay with Admiral Hipper, but was expecting more.  Roon, however, was OMG Glorious the second I got her, even completely stock.  When it comes to end-goal, T10 focus, I believe Hindenburg arguably trounces Des Moines.

Although I want Hindenburg more, I will be grinding to Des Moines with much haste in the event I get the T10 split ship if I have the current T10 (up to T9 is pretty likely, but T10 is sketchy, at best).

Edited by desmo_2

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles
52 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

If you get Pensacola, you might also get Helena when the US Cruiser line splits at the end of the year (ish).  And you might not want to sell Cleveland yet, either, as you also might get Dallas.  The official word from WG on how the split will be handled hasn't yet been released.  So there is one plug for the US line.  Second plug...I actually found the Pensacola to be pretty darned good, once upgraded, of course.  And, that was BEFORE her concealment buff.  I didn't mind the New Orleans grind, either.  I struggled with stock Baltimore, but now that she is fully upgraded we are getting along superbly!

Now, I found Yorck to be pretty capable.  I did okay with Admiral Hipper, but was expecting more.  Roon, however, was OMG Glorious the second I got her, even completely stock.  When it comes to end-goal, T10 focus, I believe Hindenburg arguably trounces Des Moines.

Although I want Hindenburg more, I will be grinding to Des Moines with much haste in the event I get the T10 split ship if I have the current T10 (up to T9 is pretty likely, but T10 is sketchy, at best).

Everyone thanks a lot for the info.

Members
6,624 posts
25,255 battles

Yorck has good torps and slow AP.

Pensacola has good concealment now and awesome guns.

I personally prefer Pensacola (have it in port, Yorck was sold). I am probably in the minority though.

The there is the split coming in 2018, mentioned above.

[5D7]
Alpha Tester
2,716 posts
4,076 battles

If you get the pepsi, you will be thrust into the world of being citadel'd at any angle imaginable when a BB shoots at you lol. York has good HE at range, devastating AP at about 7km and under (horrid past that). Pepsi has the american slugging AP though.

[WOLF9]
Members
3,136 posts

To be honest, you really can't lose either way.   Loads of players have dumped heaps of turds on both, but they're actually fun to play- and have some real strong points to boot.

Yorck is fairly tanky- for a heavy cruiser- has useful torpedoes, and, unlike every other German cruiser: decent to good HE.   It's main weakness is how floaty it's shells are at long range.  A fact that you'll learn all too well in most random matches...  Close the range, and Yorck becomes a big angry bully.   This ship is responsible for my love of heavy cruisers.

Pensacola.  It's fast, it's extremely maneuverable- and it has THOSE guns!   With an AA/Concealment build, you can be pretty obnoxious to most enemies.  Now that it (finally) got buffed, with camo and the Concealment Expert skill you have a pretty good window to set up "How you like me NOW???" shots at distracted, broadsiding enemies.   5 guns forward and aft makes you dangerous coming or going.   The downside is that Pepsi has just enough armor to arm the fuses of all BB AP shells, but not enough to bounce them.  Thus, you will take massive damage from every BB that gets a halfway decent shot at you.   So, you NEED to use that speed, maneuverability, and concealment.   As long as you stay alive, your 8" guns can put a hurting on pretty much anything you face.   This one works best as an artillery support cruiser, a flanker, and for kiting.

Both ships work especially well vs those who think they suck, and thus don't respect them.  Can't count how many BB's have allowed me to get into hard to miss distance, and then showed me their broadsides while completely ignoring me.  How they can ignore a steady stream of 7k damage salvos is anyone's guess.  It sure adds up, though!

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,348 posts
10,134 battles

Just on a ship v ship basis and throwing other ships of the line out the window I would say Yorck in a landslide. In full disclosure I don't have Yorck so that is based solely on playing against it, it's stats, and common sense. I do have the Pensacola and let me tell you it is AWFUL soft. The gun are good and the AA seems to be good but my god it takes damage like I have never seen. Not even Emerald takes damage like the Pepsi does. Yorck actually has at least SOME armor and it also has torps which Pepsi doesn't.

I actually had Pepsi researched for many months before buying. I saw how fragile they were shooting AT them and decided it didn't look fun. Well, with the upcoming US line split I decided to buy it so I had it for whatever WG will do with existing ships/camo's. Obviously I took it for a spin. WOW is it bad. LOL Again, guns are good and it is fairly maneuverable, and AA is decent, but it has very slow reloads and average range on the guns and it just can't take any hits without losing huge chunks of HP. Not even from DD HE.

I don't see how this is close = Yorck. Unless you like a HUGE challenge that is and then = Pensacola. LOL

[RKN]
Beta Testers
933 posts
8,744 battles

I like Pensacola, hated Yorck. Couldn’t do any damage in Yorck. Catch a cruiser broadsides with a P-Cola and you citadel them. I couldn’t really connect with the Yorck’s AP. Granted it’s been well over a year since I played Yorck so she might have changed since then.

[PVE]
Members
496 posts
4,072 battles

Yorck eventually leads to Roon. Enough said. Yorck is meh IMO. I have never playd the pepsi but I have crushed enough of them way too easily in CAs and BBs alike to tell that Yorck is better.