You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Estimated_Prophet

Flamethrower cruisers? Where?

12 comments in this topic

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles

Though my example is Mikhail Kutuzov  specifically; this seems to be true across all cruisers for me.

Spoiler

k8WQzw.jpg

zGUHZy.jpg

Poor game this may be by most other players standards, that is not the main point; what my rather generalized kvetch is in relation to my apparent rotten luck with fires.

115 hit; five fires. By MK's fires chance that number should have been somewhere around or north of ten fires.

'But that's just an average EP! You won't always get 12 fires for 100 hits!'

Ahhhhh.... therin lies the rub. For all intents and purposes I have NEVER managed to start an average number of fires in any game. The most recent other example was in Cleveland; over 100 hits in the game, 3 fires...

I'm not even really complaining about the fire mechanics, or average number of fires; this is pretty much just a kvetch that I don't consider ANY cruiser to be a 'flamethrower/firestarter' because none of them have ever been so for me... (Atago, Cleveland, the Myokos, Konig/Nurn, and of course Micky K.)

RN battleships and their HE doesn't excite me, because so far it too hasn't lived up to its reputaion, in my personal experience.

On average, I think I've started more fires per block of shell/bomb hits with my destroyers and carrier dive-bombers.

Sigh... Melancholy rant over...

[HINON]
Supertester
18,902 posts
12,435 battles

Every ship has an in-built fire resistance. This in-built fire resistance goes up the higher you go up in tier. The fire-per-shell chance is best taken as a relative number, not as a to-be-expected number.

[WOLF1]
Members
619 posts
12,920 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

115 hit; five fires. By MK's fires chance that number should have been somewhere around or north of ten fires.

Its RNG based.

[SF-A]
Members
2,845 posts
5,547 battles

The exact fire calculation is different, the wiki is quite good. Lert has the nail on the head, but forgot to mention that captain skills and flags can change it as well.

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,280 battles

IDK i felt like in the genisnau every time I would get hit I would get set on fire. I remember this one time I was hit with two salvos from the same cruiser and the second set two fires I was angled and he managed to hit my bridge and and the back. Then I repaired as I was low in health and right after if finished out he hit me again set the same two fires in one salvo this time. I killed him then burned alive.

[TF16B]
Members
8,039 posts
16,977 battles
9 minutes ago, clammboy said:

I don't know what your talking about but I'm always on fire . 

Yeah, me too; everyone aboves good points are exactly that; it just seems to me that I hardly ever start any fires...

...the exception seems to be low fire chance shells.

I was constantly starting fires with my Akizuki's HE, and it's fire chance is ridiculously bad. Same thing with other destroyers, (mostly drive USN,) and with dive-bombers. Flyboys are lucky to get 25-50 drops a game, based on sorties flown and casualties, but It seems like I always get a number of fires with them all out of proportion to the number of bombs dropped.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[WDS]
Members
342 posts
6,871 battles

I have a 19 point captain with fire prevention, I have flags, I have the New York city fire department on my ships and I'm still always on fire .

Members
159 posts
1,135 battles

Wouldn't it also have to do with hitting the areas that are already on fire? As far as I know rolling a fire chance is not possible when hitting an area already burning

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,335 posts
10,122 battles

I hear ya OP. I hardly ever start fires even on ships like Cleveland that are famous for it and with Capt skills, flags, etc... However, I spend 90% of the game burning it seems. LOL

Members
842 posts

Generally speaking, there are several things reducing the THEORETICAL fire chance (which is what the gun stats show you), and the ACTUAL ones you see in play:

1. Higher tier ships come with an increasing reduction in fire chance. I'm presuming the "raw" stats you see listed for a gun are for the typical T4 opponent
  2. Several Captain skills reduce both rate and duration of fires, and these skills become increasingly common as you advance in tiers
  3. Hit location matters - if you hit a portion of a ship already on fire, then, well, you lose any chance to start a new fire. This is a particularly common scenario for very high-rate-of-fire ships, because the large majority of shells tend to land on the middle superstructure (due to how people aim)
  4. Damage saturation, which effectively stops new fires once a particular hitbox area is 100% damaged.
  5. Hitting an opponent while their Damage Control party is in effect - for BBs, that's a 15-25 second immunity period

Overall, I think you should probably expect about HALF of what the listed stat has, particularly if you're playing higher tier (T7+) games.