You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
alexc123

Secondaries macro?

17 comments in this topic

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles

Once locked on do i have to continuesly click left mouse button for them to fire or will the do it on there own once lcoled on if not

i have man fire controll , so do i stilll have to keep clicking

I have my Sharnhorst built for secondaries 8k range and do reallt well,  put having to click the target at the same time as holding control or whatever button i have it asigned to makes it hard to fire main guns and then go back to firing secondaries. Any ideas.  

Edited by alexc123

[NERO]
Members
3,542 posts

Secondaries fire by themselves. Either when something is in range, or when you designate a target if you have that captain skill. 

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,357 battles

All you have to do is ensure that the enemy ship is selected for secondary fire, that's it. Nothing else is required.

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles
5 minutes ago, megadeux said:

All you have to do is ensure that the enemy ship is selected for secondary fire, that's it. Nothing else is required.

Thanks, i know that but with man fire xonteoll with swcondaries dont i have to keep clicking left mouse button?

[RKN]
Members
1,634 posts
3,357 battles

No, just once, as long as that little circle with the A is over them, even with MFC the secondaries will fire art them.

[CVA16]
Members
2,750 posts
6,251 battles

Don't make the mistake I made once by getting that captain skill on a ship with weak secondaries.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles

Also it won't open fire if you have manual secondary captains skill until you highlight them.

[NDA]
Supertester
3,896 posts
1,477 battles

The only 'manual' part of the skill is selecting the target.  The guns will then shoot at it until it sinks.

Members
133 posts
2,646 battles
6 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Also it won't open fire if you have manual secondary captains skill until you highlight them.

Yea i know , my main qiestion was once selected i clicking left mouse every sec thinking it would not fire unless i did, so what everyone is saying is with man secoundary fire control i just have to have to target seleted and rhen they will fire and i do not have to keep firing?

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles
1 minute ago, alexc123 said:

Yea i know , my main qiestion was once selected i clicking left mouse every sec thinking it would not fire unless i did, so what everyone is saying is with man secoundary fire control i just have to have to target seleted and rhen they will fire and i do not have to keep firing?

correct

Beta Testers
1,467 posts
8,772 battles

Secondaries and AA work pretty much the same way (with one caveat).

1. They fire automatically when a target comes into range.  You don't have to do anything; both target selection and firing occur automatically.
  2. If there are multiple targets in range, your secondaries and AA will engage multiple targets with the AI setting the priorities for each gun capable of hitting a target.  This means you can hit targets on different sides of the ship.  Again, this is automatic, and you don't have to do anything.
  3. You can designate both a surface target for your secondaries and an aerial target for your AA by hitting control and clicking on one each of the desired targets.  This does not cause you guns to only shoot at this target (see caveat below); it only tells the AI to prioritize it, increasing the likelihood that target will be focused.  Guns that cannot hit the designated target will continue to shoot at targets of opportunity in range.  Bear in mind, though, that the ship has to have the type of guns (secondaries or AA) to be able to do this.  For example, the Arkansas Beta has secondaries, but no AA, so you cannot designate an air target for the Arkansas Beta.
  4. There is a captain's skill for "manual" AA and another for "manual" secondaries.  These both increase the damage done to the designated target.  The "manual" does not mean you actually fire the guns.  It only means that the effect only occurs on designated targets.  However, there is, as indicated, one caveat.

Caveat:

The captain's skill for Manual Control for Secondaries greatly increases the accuracy and DPS of your secondaries but at a cost.  When you have this captain's skill, your guns will still automatically fire (i.e., you still don't have to shoot them yourself); however, your secondaries will now only engage your designated target.  That is, with this skill, your secondaries will no longer engage any target in range.  They will only fire at the target you designate even if there are other targets in range.  This also means that, if you do not designate a target, they will not fire at all.

The Manual Control for AA increases the DPS against the designated target, but your AA will still automatically engage targets you don't designate, but only the designated target gets the added DPS.

[TBW]
Members
6,354 posts
11,894 battles

@alexc123 What I did not like about manual secondaries, is that they don't open fire automatically, so you have to have really good awareness always. Manual also won't fire at more than 1 ship at once. I found that not having them set to manual, alerted me to targets that I was not yet aware of. I know it's a lot of fun to get those secondary kills but I do better on my German BBs since I switched back to automatic secondaries. The Battle awareness that it affords is priceless and it deters encroaching ships while I am occupied with the main guns. If it was like manual AA and opened fire regardless of manually highlighting the target (like Manual Secondaries). I would switch back to Manual. I do think that they should make the secondaries that can't fire at the selected target, so they would still fire at other targets, albeit with reduced dispersion. I think the reason it is the way it is, is because the devs can't figure out how to make it work another way, easily.

Manual secondaries are great and all but I just felt that them not firing at more than 1 ship and not shooting automatically was a tax I wasn't going to pay. It is after all a 4 point tax.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,288 battles

I really like manual secondaries on some ships.  One thing I do with them that I don't see any mention of above is that I will set them to the closest DD spotted, assuming every other red ship is out of range.  That way, if they get sneaky and close in while I'm distracted, my secondaries will open up on them.  The designation stays with that ship until you either select another target or toggle off secondaries/AA with "P".

[BSL]
Members
724 posts
14,392 battles
11 hours ago, DreadRaybo said:

I really like manual secondaries on some ships.  One thing I do with them that I don't see any mention of above is that I will set them to the closest DD spotted, assuming every other red ship is out of range.  That way, if they get sneaky and close in while I'm distracted, my secondaries will open up on them.  The designation stays with that ship until you either select another target or toggle off secondaries/AA with "P".

But you can also designate the closest DD with auto secondaries.

I also like the warning that auto gives.  Like Soverigndog above, it alerts me when an enemy boat sneaks up AND it does the same with undesignated targets as well.

[B2P]
Members
498 posts
13,288 battles
7 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

But you can also designate the closest DD with auto secondaries.

I also like the warning that auto gives.  Like Soverigndog above, it alerts me when an enemy boat sneaks up AND it does the same with undesignated targets as well.

But auto secondaries will start firing on any ship within range whether designated or not.  Designating a target with normal/auto secondaries just prioritizes that target, so that if you have two targets on one side of your ship, you can have your secondaries fire mainly on the one you designate and temporarily ignore the other.  It does not improve your chances of hitting any targets.

The point I was trying to make is that you can make efforts to set up your manual secondaries to do something similar by selecting an enemy DD in your area well ahead of time, and if you get distracted and he gets sneaky, you can have similar results to the auto secondaries.  And your chances of hitting any targets with your secondaries is increased with the improvement to the dispersion, though not as much at lower tiers.  It's obviously not as foolproof as the auto secondaries, like if you have 2 DDs in the area (you can only select 1 at a time).  But like I said, I hadn't seen any mention of doing this, and it's an insurance type move that I always make with my manual secondary ships.

But yeah, managing manual secondaries on top of everything else you need to do to keep your ship afloat and helping your team may be a little much for some people, like trying to manage an aircraft carrier well is more than I can generally handle.

Members
842 posts

IIRC - if a target you've designated with manual secondaries goes undetected, you lose lock on it, and if it pops up again (i.e is re-detected), you have to manually designate it again.  That's definitely the way the Manual AA works.

Or heck, even ordinary Secondaries/AA work that way - locks/preference don't continue if your target gets undetected.

[APOC-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
96 posts
4,066 battles
10 hours ago, EAnybody said:

IIRC - if a target you've designated with manual secondaries goes undetected, you lose lock on it, and if it pops up again (i.e is re-detected), you have to manually designate it again.  That's definitely the way the Manual AA works.

Or heck, even ordinary Secondaries/AA work that way - locks/preference don't continue if your target gets undetected.

The lock is maintained even if the ship goes dark. It only disappears if you change targets.