You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
bubbleboy264

I hate the z-23

35 comments in this topic

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles

I don’t understand this ship at all. I’m just so bad in it I need help now. I loved the Maass and averaged over 70k dmg in it but in this fat slow pos I can only do like 30k. I’m so bad in it I don’t understand the playstyle at all. I loved the 128s on the Maass but it had 5 and this trash ship can only mount 4 at tier [edited]8. So I have to use the 150s, and there slow firing, short ranged pos as well, with terrible dpm and AP that can’t shred battleships like the Maass could. I still don’t have the range upgrade yet so it’s a pathetic 9.9 at tier 8, and it’s so slow and clumsy and stealth is bad too at 6.2. HOW DO I USE THIS SHIP I DONT UNDERSTAND I DONT WANT TO SUCK IM A GOOD PLAYER PLEASE HELP. Why the hell cant I use 5 or 6 128s at tier 8 but I can use 5 at tier 7 that makes no [edited]sense. Please help me I’m so bad in this ship please I don’t want to suck I just want to do well and get the z-46.

Title moderated by Mezurashi.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,682 posts
10,011 battles

Me too, biggest FXP shortcut I've ever taken.

However, most advice is to use the guns only when in very favorable circumstances and play her like a torpedo boat. You have decent torpedoes, decent reload too.

Z-46 is far more 'traditional' for a destroyer and I greatly prefer her.

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles

I don't know why but I did really well in the Z-23 but not so good in the Z-46.  I feel like Tier IX is the bastard tier, but in this ship line the Z-23 faces a lot less Fletchers and Gearings and whatnot.  

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,239 posts

All I can really say is I was ready to give up at Z-23 too, it has terrible T8 MM and isn't especially fun to play although the more you play it the better you'll get. I will say I swapped out rudder shift on almost all of my DDs for propulsion mod (faster acceleration/deacceleration) and I feel like that helps a lot. Play caps, when you get spotted by a DD in a cap push them to detect them too then smoke use your hydro and try to nuke them from stealth if you can. If they're a T10 run the [edited] away.

I posted something similar about how much it sucked and the forum urged me to continue because the Z-46 and Z-52 were so good. Guess what? They were right. I even bought premium camo for both of them and if you did all the most recent events you probably have a a Z-23 premium camo for free in there. If not use other camos and burn/FXP your way through it. Also don't forget your AP, German AP is better than most (although I usually use HE against other DDs).

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles

I think the concealment ratings for Z-23, Z-46 and Z-52 are mixed up.

• Z-23 should have Z-46's concealment
  • Z-46 should have Z-52's concealment
  • Z-52 should have Z-23's concealment

That way, Z-23 won't be so useless at being outspotted. Z-46 and Z-52 won't be so silly strong against DDs.

[TBW]
Members
6,349 posts
11,892 battles
15 minutes ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I’m miserable in it it’s not fun like the Maass was please can anyone help

I hated the Queen E but never looked at her stats until I finished the grind to the King. I was pleasantly surprised that I was at 60% WR with her. Just because it starts off bad doesn't mean it will stay that way. Maybe just change your attitude towards her and it just might click.

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles

I can’t take the awful handling and gun range it’s just so bad. HOW DO YOU PLAY THE SHIP I CANT SUFFER THROUGH 140K XP LIKE THIS

[DAKI]
WoWS Wiki Editor
7,216 posts
6,433 battles

I'd try playing her like a Torpedo boat, with the guns being more of a side armament. If IJN DDs are 90% Torps and 10% guns, Z-23 might work with 70% Torps and 30% guns.

[NZS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
368 posts
8,968 battles

I stopped at the Gaede because I like it so much...  Looks like the Z-23 is not worth the grind based on some responses.

[NOOOB]
Members
1,439 posts
12,073 battles

Z-23 does suffer with tier 8 MM, this thing can spam torps, don't be too aggressive - especially when up tiered - avoid premature "cap-itis", trying to cap too soon, not controlling the engagement, have support, with the concealment, you do not want to put yourself into a position of being seen first, for DD fighting need the other DD to smoke up first, then move into position to smoke and use hydro.  I struggled early with this boat, had to change my play style vs earlier German DDs.

Edited by Panzer1113

Alpha Tester
937 posts
6,345 battles
1 minute ago, Panzerlin said:

I stopped at the Gaede because I like it so much...  Looks like the Z-23 is not worth the grind based on some responses.

well I liked it.  Maybe it was because I went in with no expectations.  Having a good rate of fire and two types of ammunition that can both be good made it very simple to use against DDs or targets of opportunity, and the torpedoes are good.  Just good all around without a super strength in any one area.

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,748 posts
9,466 battles

I hated the Mass and liked the Z-23. What kept screwing me over was not having RPF when the enemy DD did. 

[KP]
Members
1,998 posts
18,464 battles
1 hour ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I don’t understand this ship at all. I’m just so bad in it I need help now. I loved the Maass and averaged over 70k dmg in it but in this fat slow pos I can only do like 30k. I’m so bad in it I don’t understand the playstyle at all. I loved the 128s on the Maass but it had 5 and this trash ship can only mount 4 at tier [edited]8. So I have to use the 150s, and there slow firing, short ranged pos as well, with terrible dpm and AP that can’t shred battleships like the Maass could. I still don’t have the range upgrade yet so it’s a pathetic 9.9 at tier 8, and it’s so slow and clumsy and stealth is bad too at 6.2. HOW DO I USE THIS SHIP I DONT UNDERSTAND I DONT WANT TO SUCK IM A GOOD PLAYER PLEASE HELP. Why the hell cant I use 5 or 6 128s at tier 8 but I can use 5 at tier 7 that makes no [edited]sense. Please help me I’m so bad in this ship please I don’t want to suck I just want to do well and get the z-46.

I won't lie I free XP'd it having said that the 46 is a bad mabo Jambo and was totally worth free XPing to. You feel like a bad [edited]contesting caps in the 46 and with AR and the already super fast reload on torps and 5.9 conceal the 46 makes a great torpedo boat as well. I know this doesn't help your current situation but the 46 for me and many others is the new go to 9 over even the Fletcher.

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,525 battles

Don't hate the destroyer, hate the player.

Dem 150's are fun.

[WOLF4]
Members
387 posts
5,361 battles

I can’t get above like 60-70k dmg I’m just so bad I got outgunned by a god damn blystawica please how do I use this thing 

[SYN]
Members
14,378 posts
10,239 battles
1 minute ago, bubbleboy264 said:

I can’t get above like 60-70k dmg I’m just so bad I got outgunned by a god damn blystawica please how do I use this thing 

Z-23's firepower sucks, that's all there is to it.

AP? 150mm overpens DDs too easily, unlike the 128mm AP

HE? DPM blows that it will have trouble gunning down a Yugumo, let alone a Blyska

[WUDPS]
4,724 posts
4,525 battles
45 minutes ago, Panzer1113 said:

Z-23 does suffer with tier 8 MM, this thing can spam torps, don't be too aggressive - especially when up tiered - avoid premature "cap-itis", trying to cap too soon, not controlling the engagement, have support, with the concealment, you do not want to put yourself into a position of being seen first, for DD fighting need the other DD to smoke up first, then move into position to smoke and use hydro.  I struggled early with this boat, had to change my play style vs earlier German DDs.

RING A DING DING WE HAVE A WINNER. 

German DD's are all about DD hunting...you wait for them to smoke up...then roll right to their cloud and if they don't hydro up...you wait...and wait...and then when you're ontop of them hydro them and then murder them

90% of my kills were that way. 

[PLPTV]
Members
1,457 posts
9,077 battles

Z-23 is a great DD, but its facing tier Xs ALL THE TIME. The matchmaker is the real problem, not the ship itself. Of course its going to under perform.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles

Do you really have to swear to make a cogent point?  Are you that incapable of intelligent conversation that you have to descend to that level?

Edited by Crucis

[NMKJT]
Beta Testers
21,196 posts
3,871 battles

German destroyers seem to be a less extreme torpedo boat than the IJN, from what I've gotten in them so far.

It may be a good idea to, as others have suggested, use guns less and torpedoes more.

8 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Do you really have to swear to make a cogent point?  Are you that incapable of intelligent conversation that you have to descend to that level?

Good personal attack, now try being constructive to the topic of the thread.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,298 battles
1 minute ago, AraAragami said:

German destroyers seem to be a less extreme torpedo boat than the IJN, from what I've gotten in them so far.

It may be a good idea to, as others have suggested, use guns less and torpedoes more.

Good personal attack, now try being constructive to the topic of the thread.

Dude, swearing is against the rules.  We all know it.  The OP was just abusing the filter system to let him hide the actual obscenities while everyone and his mother knows EXACTLY what was behind those "[edited]" tags.  Now why don't you buzz off.