You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
TheURLGuy

ARGH MATEY - This Here COMMUNITY SCOOP Be All About USS Kidd!

9 comments in this topic

TheURLGuy    67

Community Scoop Submissions - USS Kidd

Sup. 

I've returned for more Scoop and moving them to Tuesdays! 

Y'all get the drill at this point -- share your QUALITY, CUTTING-EDGE CONTENT in this thread before Monday 11/20 at 12:00 PT for a shot at being featured on the World of Warships site! 

Here's the kinda stuff I'm looking for:

• Videos
    • In-depth reviews of Kidd
    • Cool footage of you winning in Kidd
    • Hilarious footage of you sucking in Kidd

• Short Text (1 paragraph or less)
    • Your take on Kidds strengths and weaknesses
    • Kidd battle tactics
    • Commander/Modification loadouts
    • Retelling of a cool moment from a battle with Kidd
  • Spicy Kidd memes, GIFs, shenanigans, etc.
    • SPICE ADVISORY: Our legal eagles consider images directly from movies/shows/etc to be TOO SPICY for WorldOfWarships.com. Your memes and such are much more likely to make it through if you stick to game footage, public domain assets, stock photography, and/or original art. 

Have fun! 

Sovereigndawg    494

Don't be the last Kidd on your block, to get the Kidd. I am not Kidd-ing.

But does the Kidd eat ivy?

Did you know? Nothing is really Kidd proof. I Kidd proofed my house, the Kidds still get in.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

Edgecase    743

People have made Kidd out to be some kind of AA monster with ignorable torpedoes, but that's quite far from the truth in my experience. While you CAN build for AA troll power, the fact that you're not guaranteed a CV in every game makes AA builds very inconsistent (unless you division with a carrier). The single torp launcher is still quite powerful if you save it for good opportunities instead of building your game around spamming it.

I've found the real value of Kidd being her ability to stay relevant throughout the game thanks to her heals. Most other DDs get whittled down, and have to play very cautiously after that. Late game DD play typically involves a lot of dancing around to protect your last 2K HP. It limits the fights you can pick, the risks you can take, and therefore the influence you can exert over the match. Alternatively, DDs that show up with full health bars at the 15-minute mark have often had no meaningful impact on the game up until that point.

Kidd is different. She can take enough risks to be impactful in the early game, continue contributing through the mid-game, and show back up at 80% to stomp the opposing destroyer in the final cap showdown. Over the course of a game, a well-managed Kidd has 30,700 HP (19500 with SE + 11200 from heals). That's 34% more than Gearing (22900 with SE).

Kidd is a ship for the slow and strategic player. You won't be landing any 12-torpedo alpha broadside nuke meme salvos. You won't run around at 14km lobbing napalm pellets at hapless battleships. You can, however, be a presence on the battlefield at all times, whether visible or not. Understanding threat, spotting, pressure, and the flow of the game over time are all critical to doing well in this ship.

nhf    17
11 hours ago, Edgecase said:

People have made Kidd out to be some kind of AA monster with ignorable torpedoes, but that's quite far from the truth in my experience. While you CAN build for AA troll power, the fact that you're not guaranteed a CV in every game makes AA builds very inconsistent (unless you division with a carrier)....

The Kidd almost totally neutralizes the single biggest threat to DDs: CVs.  That's worth allocating the skills to AA.  I can deal with any ship in the game as a DD most of the time, but permaspotting by a CV plane shuts it all down.  I'm a Kidd fan.

GreyFox78659    119

Kidd is a tier 9 fletcher destroyer at tier 8 missing a torpedo launcher but gaining repair. It plays just like that. If that doesn’t sound appealing, well you might want to pass on it. If that sounds like something you want, then there will be no disappointment.

Kidd is a fun, all around boat. She has a rum-fueled repair crew to keep her timbers from shivering too badly, a cannon broadside fit for a ship-of-the-line, and even more cannons full of grape shot strapped to Scurvy Dan's back and aimed at the sky for shooting down those pesky, bomb-laden parrots before they can sully her cleanly swabbed decks with a smattering of... Ordnance. Her peg-leg torpedoes hobble around slowly, but just like Salty Jack, they get the job done...  when they can be roused from their grog-fueled stupor (which sometimes takes a while... A long while). She's as fast as a tavern wrench in Tortuga, but at times she turns as if she's three sheets to the wind.

All in all, a fine boat to plunder silver from your enemies in! Though watch out for the Spaniards, they'll claim your hard-won booty in a heartbeat... Especially if ye founder.