• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

21 posts in this topic

I've always found that the best way for a lower tier destroyer to deal with a higher tier destroyer is to soften them up with a few torpedoes. 

I may have softened the Gearing a bit to much. 

If only enemy gearing knew what his guns could do.... turns the complete wrong way to open his torpedoes up, instead of just using his guns and wrecking you...

You've got 9k hp, and he never once shoots at you.  Not during the initial encounter as he turns and retreats, and not during the second encounter in the smoke.  Good job punishing him for it. 

Even before Stealth Firing was removed, there was a lot of DDs that forgot they had guns.  Regardless of which national DD line.  They're trying to line up that killer torpedo salvo against a low HP opponent when a few gun salvos would have done the job more quickly, efficiently.

7 minutes ago, Brhinosaurus said:

You've got 9k hp, and he never once shoots at you.  Not during the initial encounter as he turns and retreats, and not during the second encounter in the smoke.  Good job punishing him for it. 

Well, to be fair, it was probably wise of him to disengage in the beginning. He could have won a 1v1 duel, but RedSeaBear had a couple ships backing him up whereas the Gearing did not. On the other hand, if he was able to recognize that the two BBs and single DD were distracted elsewhere, then he should have taken the fight then and there. 

Edited by Kombat_W0MBAT

Just now, Kombat_W0MBAT said:

Well, to be fair, it was probably wise of him to disengage in the beginning. He could have won a 1v1 duel, but RedSeaBear had several ships backing him up. That Gearing would have gotten wrecked pretty quickly if he remained spotted. His biggest problem was failing to disengage entirely. He shouldn't have come back knowing that he was outnumbered like that. 

yeah if I'm the Gearing I definitely would have turned and smoked given that situation, but I would have had guns blazing from the moment I saw the fletcher, through when I dropped detection in my smoke, and continuing to fire blindly until I stopped scoring hits.  That alone could very likely have killed the fletcher before the second encounter ever happened.  

Just now, Brhinosaurus said:

yeah if I'm the Gearing I definitely would have turned and smoked given that situation, but I would have had guns blazing from the moment I saw the fletcher, through when I dropped detection in my smoke, and continuing to fire blindly until I stopped scoring hits.  That alone could very likely have killed the fletcher before the second encounter ever happened.  

Definitely. At that range, there's no excuse for not using your guns. 

The Fletcher had an allied DD off to his right, which the Gearing may or may not have known about.  If he knew the other DD was there, he'd have known that disengaging after firing his guns would have been difficult, and would probably get him killed.  Therefore, trying to torpedo the Fletcher instead makes sense.

But then he botched the torpedo run.

Edit:  The Gearing's team was also severely down and about to lose, so there wasn't much else to do besides try and take the Fletcher with him, I guess.  In that case, he may as well have opened fire.

Edited by Vaidency

9 minutes ago, m373x said:

He never shot at you

Picard-Wtf.jpg

What you saw here is the very rare Gearakaze, which is a Gearing that thinks its a Shimakaze. They tend to rely only on their torpedoes, have forgotten they even have guns and are generally very timid. I've fought them before and recognize the play style. 

...and some insist that it's the Gearing itself that's bad.

:fish_palm:

Fletcher is a better Benson, Benson is a better Mahan, and so on.  If you try to play Gearing as a better Fletcher you're going to struggle.  I know I did.  Took a few hundred battles before my stats in the Gearing surpassed the Fletcher.  

2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

What you saw here is the very rare Gearakaze, which is a Gearing that thinks its a Shimakaze. They tend to rely only on their torpedoes, have forgotten they even have guns and are generally very timid. I've fought them before and recognize the play style. 

Magnificent creatures! You are very lucky to have met more than one of them in their natural habitat! Too bad you murdered this one just for the sport #GearakazesLivesMatter

Just now, m373x said:

Magnificent creatures! You are very lucky to have met more than one of them in their natural habitat! Too bad you murdered this one just for the sport #GearakazesLivesMatter

Hey it wasn't murder. They are so timid and shy its next to impossible to capture one for examination. Its like finally seeing a Sasquatch or Unicorn, you have to capture a specimen so it can be studied by Science. Sometime you can capture these rare beast with live traps but other times you just have to put one down to get your hands on it.

Besides a Gearakaze is an abomination of nature and by taking it down I removed its mutated genes from the pool. Hopefully it won't breed and corrupt the other DD families. A Gearakaze is bad enough but can you imagine a Shimaing, a gun boat Shima that doesn't use the wall of skill? Or a Khab that goes full stealth build with smoke? Not sure how you could mutate a Z-52, they're already kind of weird to be honest.   

Over-reliance on torpedoes is a mistake many players with torpedoes make.

1 minute ago, RedSeaBear said:

Hey it wasn't murder. They are so timid and shy its next to impossible to capture one for examination. Its like finally seeing a Sasquatch or Unicorn, you have to capture a specimen so it can be studied by Science. Sometime you can capture these rare beast with live traps but other times you just have to put one down to get your hands on it.

Besides a Gearakaze is an abomination of nature and by taking it down I removed its mutated genes from the pool. Hopefully it won't breed and corrupt the other DD families. A Gearakaze is bad enough but can you imagine a Shimaing, a gun boat Shima that doesn't use the wall of skill? Or a Khab that goes full stealth build with smoke? Not sure how you could mutate a Z-52, they're already kind of weird to be honest.   

Khabarakaze! NO! Never! You are right, you did the right thing. Those are a threat to the fauna regardless of how beautiful they are.

33 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

This particular genus of Gearing was born in the wake of all the Shimakaze nerfs and is largely driven by DD players who (1) want to torp from 15+km, and (2) have no idea that a gun-build Gearing at point-blank range is about the deadliest thing another DD can encounter.

Their loss is our gain, at least.