You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

13 comments in this topic

[5BS]
Members
5,018 posts

So with the common onslaught of new players from the Steam release, the inevitable seal clubbing that many WoWs players cannot help themselves against, there is going to be a huge influx of threads that boil down to, "What the hell is *insert semi-common-to-oft-misunderstood-mechanic-or-meta-thing*" And while Wargaming does provide some tooltips, they more, lets say, 'realistic' aspects of the way this game functions, are not often mentioned. Such as:

Q: "I can deal with most ships I come up against at T3-4, but I notice this one, called the Nikolia, seems to be a huge pain to deal with. What's up with that?"

A: It's genuinely overpowered, to a degree that the Developer (Wargaming) ceased selling it shortly after release and will not offer it ever again as a direct sale, this being Wargaming's preferred method of acknowledging something is Overpowered.

Followup A1: Konig Albert, Belfast, Gremy, and Kutz all follow the same setup and have been deemed genuinely overpowered.

Followup A2: Although recently Wargaming has started allowing for this as a warning on a sales page, they *generally* won't nerf, even an admitted overpowered, Premium (pay for with real money) ship.

Things like this aren't discussed by Wargaming itself and perhaps, just *maybe* we can head off a bunch of 'Wot is dis' threads by populating one thread with general Q/A's.

So post em here, and please, try to keep it general, not preference related. So yeah, I hate the Moskva's design and features in game, but arguing over whether or not it's really a BB hiding in the CA category is a discussion for a different thread.

[5BS]
Members
5,018 posts
2 minutes ago, Sovereigndawg said:

Sounds like a good idea but doesn't Steam have a different forum?

Yes but some users will come here. The same way that say, Mass Effect had Steam forums, but many Steam users would go straight ot the bioware forums (I was one of them).

[TBW]
Members
6,606 posts
12,463 battles
4 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Yes but some users will come here. The same way that say, Mass Effect had Steam forums, but many Steam users would go straight ot the bioware forums (I was one of them).

I suggested to Pigeon that it should be linked to this forum but didn't know if they could or would.

Members
5,574 posts
7,121 battles

I would almost say we should have a specific section for them, but that might actually invite them over.

Who runs Steam anyways? NA? That mean they have a new group of peeps running that forum/server, or are our guys running split duty?

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,641 posts
8,499 battles

Well, lack of new CV blood means the questions vanished but they were common during the last influx.

Question: "This ships only does a little DPS against my planes with (insert HP here) and just shreds them. Why?"

Answer: It isn't direct DPS vs HP, it's a formula that is DPS divided by HP to get a chance every second that a plane is shot down. The exact formula being (DPSxmultipliers)/HPxMultipliers=%chance plane is downed per second. An extreme example - Full AA build Iowa vs Essex Dive Bombers that is focus firing planes -

((151x2)+302+195)x1.1x1.2x1.25x1.3/(1910x1.05x1.15)=1713/2306=74% chance per second to down aircraft.

x2 is the manual AA bonus (guns 85mm and up)

1.1 is the November Echo Setteeven flag

1.2 is Basic Fire Training

1.25 is the slot 3 AA upgrade (mostly tier 9+ ships)

1.3 is focus fire (alt+click target on an aircraft)

1.05 is Aircraft servicing Expert

1.15 is slot 3 aircraft HP upgrade (bombers only)

Cruisers, DD's, and tier 8+ CV's can have Defensive AA consumable, which varies depending on ship type and for DD's and I think CV's, nation. The wiki should be up to date but it should be USN CV's 1.25, IJN and GZ 1.75, USN and RU DD's 4, all other ships, 3, though this only applies to guns 25 mm and up. So, if they added DF to Iowa (aside from CV players rioting) the beginning of that equation would change to (((151x2)+302)x3)+195, then the other multipliers.

Question: "My fighters have higher DPS but keep losing why?"

Answer: Fighters work the same way as AA, but with less mind melting math. Same DPS/HP, but less bonuses and all. DPS of the squadron is the DPS listed in the game stats and any DPS bonuses times the number of planes in the group. HP is simply the listed HP and the bonuses that can be applied such as Aircraft servicing expert. So, example, Essex fighters have 70 DPS, Taiho has 73, however, 6 planes vs 4, it's really 420 DPS vs 292 DPS which compares that much poorly when Essex has 1910 hp on it's fighters and Taiho's 1830, since that'd be 420/1830 vs 292/1910. And as you lose planes, the DPS drops at the same time equal to what that plane would contribute. 

Alpha Tester
3,666 posts
7,258 battles

Here is another question I know someone from Steam will ask:

Where are the Subs?

I think we all know the answer to that question.

[1IF]
Alpha Tester
4,252 posts
8,455 battles

Thing is, OP, when & how many of these Steam players come to WoWS? If they invest too much time & get to too high a tier, they may never transfer over.

If some do come here & have to start a T1, would they not get protected teams for a while? No Seal Clubbers allowed.

The problem will be when these Steam players, especially the ones who don't/won't properly prepare themselves, are loosed into the general population at T3(?).

That's where the Seal Clubbers will introduce these new players to reality. This will happen somewhere - we all went thru it, hence what is the problem?

If some of these premium ships are unavailable to the Steam player crowd, well, so what. Not everyone here has these anyway. Other premiums are still there to buy.

I hope there is good crowd of Steam players who do transfer to the regular NA server.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
26 minutes ago, aethervox said:

The problem will be when these Steam players, especially the ones who don't/won't properly prepare themselves, are loosed into the general population at T3(?).

Close, but wrong, I'll go seal club then in my amazing, insanely over powered tier 2 PREMIUM boat, the Albany. They wouldn't even make it to T3 with me around. :fish_haloween: Jokes aside, I would imagine they would have a General FAQ of their own over on Steam anyways, since most people would probably go look their first since it would be more readily accessible to them, since it's even supported on the steam overlay when you shift tab in game, so...

Members
1,345 posts
1,345 battles
9 hours ago, AllysaRockz said:

Close, but wrong, I'll go seal club then in my amazing, insanely over powered tier 2 PREMIUM boat, the Albany. They wouldn't even make it to T3 with me around. :fish_haloween: Jokes aside, I would imagine they would have a General FAQ of their own over on Steam anyways, since most people would probably go look their first since it would be more readily accessible to them, since it's even supported on the steam overlay when you shift tab in game, so...

Kek Really Buki? Going around seal clubbing? :3 kek says the guy who clubs with Kuma.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles
2 hours ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

Kek Really Buki? Going around seal clubbing? :3 kek says the guy who clubs with Kuma.

I'll probably be playing the Isokaze on my way to the Buki, so that'll be more or less my seal clubbing done for like, a month, anyways. :Smile_great: What can I say? I have a premium boat, and I wanna use OP premium boats for what they were meant for... yes, the Albany is totally OP. 

1,542 posts
26 battles

Helping out new players with an FAQ thread might be a great way to ease them into the game without them feeling like they're being clubbed the moment that they step onto the deck. A friendly approach is the best approach!

[ARRGG]
[ARRGG]
Members
5,770 posts
10 minutes ago, WolfofWarship said:

Helping out new players with an FAQ thread might be a great way to ease them into the game without them feeling like they're being clubbed the moment that they step onto the deck. A friendly approach is the best approach!

In game they are protected. In here not so much.The Forums have the bigger  Blood Soaked Clubs.