You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Reymu

Yamato: First Impressions

22 comments in this topic

Reymu    465

giphy.gif

Now this is the BB I've been looking for! Accurate MB, excellent penetration on angled whatevers, solid armor, and a "you talking smack to me?" presence.

Very thoughtful of other Yamato captains to play their ship well. I've found Yamato excels at mid-range, bow-in, and vocally leading a charge.

Good thing I sat through Izumo grind and learned about her tankiness--Yamato seems to have the same trait. Admittedly, the troll MB meant using Kraken flags, XP-boosting camos, and premium time to shorten the grind. Only spent ~3300 free XP, rest is ship XP.

If you skipped more than 4K of Izumo ship XP en route to yammy, thou coward. Thou not worthy of Yamato. Thou owes Izumo a bouquet of flowers :Smile_teethhappy:

TheZeke00    278

If you don't have the intro theme to Space Battleship Yamato playing in the background, you're doing it wrong  :P

• Cool 3

I agree with you 100%. 183 battles in the Izzy with 56%w/r and you can just grasp the awesomeness of the Yammy. I was in awe when I unlocked the battle god. I'm proud to say I'm at a 100% win ratio in the beast from the orient. Step aside Godzilla. Of course I have only went into 2 battles. Banzai

Doomlock    2,157
1 hour ago, TheZeke00 said:

If you don't have the intro theme to Space Battleship Yamato playing in the background, you're doing it wrong  :P

I agree. Been watching throught the show again and am reminded of how awesome it is. 

As to OP, congrats, I'm at fully upgraded Izumo now, and am beginning the climb to Yamato. She awaits me.

TheZeke00    278
4 minutes ago, Doomlock said:

I agree. Been watching throught he show again and am reminded of how awesome it is. 

It was my intro into the "space opera" genre. quite fond of it myself :P

WhiteRecon    59

Congrats!  Good ship, I've had it a long time now and I'm still under 50% w/r, while I was above 60% in Izumo.  Have Montana and GK, not sure which I like most - all different.  

Feminist    215

I can't make Yamato work for me. It still only has 9 guns and the maneuverability is worse than most other BBs. Everyone shoots at it and it gets burned down like any other BB. My average damage in Yamato is about the same as in Belfast, a tier 7 cruiser. 

capncrunch21    206

Despite all the hype for Yamato, I've found it to be a rather mediocre ship.

First, her guns, while supposedly great, are rather meh on average. HE has a hard time starting fires, does low end damage, and has a distressing tendency to shatter on impact, regardless of the target, doing no damage. I have literally hit a full broadside DD with six HE shells and only taken half its hit points away. ONE shell impact should have torn it in half. The AP shells are only good against BBs, any other target that gets hit results in an overpen. And as for the big advantage 18 inch guns are supposed to have - overmatching ANY armor - this is a joke. I have seen my Yammy AP shells richochet off slightly angled cruisers many times (too many!) - because REASONS?

Her armor is only good bow on. Any other angle exposes her MASSIVE, easily hit citadel - making her the ultimate glass cannon. Her speed and maneuverability make her a one trick pony - sit at long to medium range bow on and hope her slow, high arc shells will actually do damage - and not shatter or richochet. She absolutely cannot brawl, unless it's with another Yamato.

So yeah, if RNG is on your side, you can have great games in her. Just don't expect it to be consistent. Anyone who knows her, will be able to defeat her easily. I was eating Yamatos for lunch in my Amagi (that's 2 tiers lower for those who don't know). Sad.

She is a great looking ship, but thanks to WG, unless you stay in it's 'one trick' zone in the game, you are doomed. Really not sure where all the hype comes from, because other BBs are much more flexible and consistent in the punishment they dole out. 

2 minutes ago, capncrunch21 said:

The AP shells are only good against BBs, any other target that gets hit results in an overpen. And as for the big advantage 18 inch guns are supposed to have - overmatching ANY armor - this is a joke. I have seen my Yammy AP shells richochet off slightly angled cruisers many times (too many!) - because REASONS?

Yamato's 18.1 inch guns don't overmatch ANY armour, they overmatch 32mm. 32mm is the amount of bow armour all T8 and up BB's have. The 18.1 inchers don't overmatch 35mm, or 100mm or 200+mm.

So a Yamato can punch straight through the nose of a bow in BB/CA/CL/DD that has 32mm of bow armour or less (some of the KM BB's have sections of bow armour over 32, but its not total coverage)

As for ricocheting of slightly angled cruisers, that is because the shells hit past the bow on the belt armour, which for Cruisers (even Minotaur) is higher than 32mm, and at such a steep angle it will ricochet. Alternatively some Cruisers have thicker deck armour (such as Moskva with 50mm) and if the shell flies too high it will simply bounce off the deck. So the Yamato doesn't overmatch ANY armour, just 32mm and below, so aim for the shells to hit the bow section of the ship if they're angling in against you.

issm    3,164
1 hour ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I'm considering getting the reload mod over accuracy mod when I get it.

I'm a long ways from getting Yamato though.  I just got the Nagato, which is quite good.

Accuracy mod? Only USN gets the acc mod in the third slot.

Everyone else gets the range mod.

As for taking the reload mod...... I mean, sure, if 72s turret rotation wasn't slow enough for you....

HazeGrayUnderway    2,482
14 minutes ago, issm said:

Accuracy mod? Only USN gets the acc mod in the third slot.

Everyone else gets the range mod.

As for taking the reload mod...... I mean, sure, if 72s turret rotation wasn't slow enough for you....

I have MBM3 on my Yamato but yes, it is definitely an exercise in patience.  You have to swing those guns to where you need early.

Vader_Sama    88
4 hours ago, Reymu said:

If you skipped more than 4K of Izumo ship XP en route to yammy, thou coward. Thou not worthy of Yamato. Thou owes Izumo a bouquet of flowers :Smile_teethhappy:

I grinded my Izumo purely in co op, bow before me for I am your god.

Buzzardsluck    28
10 hours ago, Reymu said:

giphy.gif

Now this is the BB I've been looking for! Accurate MB, excellent penetration on angled whatevers, solid armor, and a "you talking smack to me?" presence.

Very thoughtful of other Yamato captains to play their ship well. I've found Yamato excels at mid-range, bow-in, and vocally leading a charge.

Good thing I sat through Izumo grind and learned about her tankiness--Yamato seems to have the same trait. Admittedly, the troll MB meant using Kraken flags, XP-boosting camos, and premium time to shorten the grind. Only spent ~3300 free XP, rest is ship XP.

I would go as far as a great ship up to mid range. Mid to close range I rather have a Montana or a Kurfurst. Shoe any [edited] and the Montana will delete a Yam and a GK will kill it will it's secondaries. I do not have a Yam, but up close it does not scare me as much as when it is not in my focus and it deletes me while I am battling another ship. Mid range is it's sweet spot I would say. I am at the tier 8 IJN BB right now and continue to grind the rest of the way. I have grinded the other 2 lines and agree, to get the tier 10 BB, it is more deserving to grind through the line.  

Ulthwey    336
12 hours ago, Reymu said:

giphy.gif

The ship seems to perform worse with every patch. The dependence in RNG is certainly not doing it any favors. Often enough you cant guarantee accuracy on something thats <6 km from you. You would imagine that you'd be able to reliably put all 6 rounds into the citadel of the enemy broadside at that range, but hell no. In addition the 2.0 sigma matters less and less when so many shells either overpen or bounce. Lately the bounces have become a HUGE annoyance for me. I bounced 18" shells off of a New Orleans, and I dont even know how thats physically possible. Im not impressed with this ship, even less lately.

Edited by Ulthwey

Reymu    465
11 hours ago, Vader_Sama said:

I grinded my Izumo purely in co op, bow before me for I am your god.

But...it's more satisfying to smack people around with a ship they underestimate :)

4 hours ago, Ulthwey said:

The ship seems to perform worse with every patch. The dependence in RNG is certainly not doing it any favors. Often enough you cant guarantee accuracy on something thats <6 km from you. You would imagine that you'd be able to reliably put all 6 rounds into the citadel of the enemy broadside at that range, but hell no. In addition the 2.0 sigma matters less and less when so many shells either overpen or bounce. Lately the bounces have become a HUGE annoyance for me. I bounced 18" shells off of a New Orleans, and I dont even know how thats physically possible. Im not impressed with this ship, even less lately.

I don't close in without good reason in Yammy. If it's a calculated gamble to protect a cap, sure, but vs. a DD? I'm going to have trouble kicking out of the smoke.

As for the AP bounce, I've only had that problem vs. angled BBs so far. Minimizing it vs any ship class is a simple matter of aiming at the superstructure where it can punch through the deck armor--I would have thought it's plain that, if going to rock the BB AP, know where to aim it for overpens and pens vs. angled targets, in case HE isn't viable. 

I did use yammy's HE vs. a fleeing montana that angled, but the damage was meh. Switched to AP and just aimed superstructure. Yes, each volley was about 9.7K, but unless HE started a fire--and he didn't DC--more prudent to use AP and aim better, as that damage cannot be repaired as well.

Cruisers will bounce your AP if it hits the deck armor at a steep angle that makes it more than 32mm thick.

14 hours ago, Bolo_MkXX_Tremendous_DMD said:

I'm considering getting the reload mod over accuracy mod when I get it.

I'm a long ways from getting Yamato though.  I just got the Nagato, which is quite good.

I use MBM3 too. About 14 seconds more rotation time, but plan ahead, roll with the team, and the 26.4 second reload time pays for itself, especially target-rich areas. Besides, MB accuracy mod is Iowa/MO/Montana only, so run the aiming systems module.

• Cool 1

TheDreadnought    691

My only tier 10 BB is Montana.  Even though I'm close to Grosser Kurfurst, I'm not grinding to it.  Tier 10 is best enjoyed with a cruiser anyway.

WhiteRecon    59
On 14/11/2017 at 0:32 PM, TheDreadnought said:

My only tier 10 BB is Montana.  Even though I'm close to Grosser Kurfurst, I'm not grinding to it.  Tier 10 is best enjoyed with a cruiser anyway.

Montana is just a badace cruiser!

Taichunger    1,942
On 2017/11/14 at 6:48 PM, Spooooooooooooooooooooon said:

Yammy is my least favorite of my tier 10 BB's.  Nothing I can really put my finger on, Montana is just a jack of all trades and GK is a tanking monster.  Still working on Conq.

I did ok in it, but I don't like the bow tanking playstyle. I like to keep my BBs in motion, but that means occasionally showing broadside, suicide in Yammy. Montana suits me much better.