You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

EA SW Battlefront DISASTER

244 comments in this topic

[NBUL2] Goodwood_Alpha 756
2,397 posts
8,433 battles
3 hours ago, IronWolfV said:

Only EA games I have put money into is SWTOR(sucker for the game I know. Bad wolf) and Need for speed No limits(had a sweet Lotus Exige I wanted so yeah longer up). BUT both of those are F2P and I didn't have to. Which is the major difference. Still might try the newest NFS. That looks promising and not a blatant money grab. But I swear. They screw up NFS, freaking done with EA.

Sorry, mate, but you had to know.

[SYN] IronWolfV 6,775
Beta Testers
30,468 posts
3,915 battles
2 minutes ago, Goodwood_Alpha said:

Sorry, mate, but you had to know.

Sventex 1,069
4,432 posts
4,824 battles
3 hours ago, Kitsunelegend said:

Except when big news outlets start talking about pulling stocks out of EA, people will starting doing that. And if they're not careful, it'll become a chain reaction and people will continue to pull stocks out and it will be a disaster for EA as their stocks crash.

Its still a combination of everything though that'll leave a mark. Sure, they make tons of money, but investors also look at the amount of sales being made. They want to see growth. If they fear that EA is crashing, they'll start pulling out. If they lose the contract with Disney because of this, thats a very major blow to EA, because Star Wars is a MASSIVE franchise with a lot of earning potential. They lose that contract they wont be getting it back, which means they've lost a major opportunity.

For the moment, EA stocks are up 40% of the year, and the analysis maintain that EA stock price is worth much more then that it currently is.
"We believe review scores for a game like Star Wars Battlefront are less important, given the strength of the Star Wars brand, but recognize the negative sentiment is a challenge." - Michael Olson

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/11/15/wall-street-is-getting-worried-social-media-outrage-over-eas-star-wars-game-may-hurt-sales.html

Although another article says that EA stock is tapped out for the year.

https://investorplace.com/2017/11/poor-reception-battlefront-2-reason-to-sell-electronic-arts-stock/2/#.Wg3opVVKuUk

seKZ5i3.jpg

Edited by Sventex

Skpstr 1,615
13,428 posts
4,366 battles
13 minutes ago, Sventex said:

"We believe review scores for a game like Star Wars Battlefront are less important, given the strength of the Star Wars brand, but recognize the negative sentiment is a challenge." - Michael Olson

IOW, if you put a famous tag on it, people will buy it regardless, but we can see where the famous name might not be enough to save it this time, so we should probably do something about that.

Sventex 1,069
4,432 posts
4,824 battles
41 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

IOW, if you put a famous tag on it, people will buy it regardless, but we can see where the famous name might not be enough to save it this time, so we should probably do something about that.

Again, if that were true, we'd still have LucasArts.  Star Wars games were often made with usually good quality, but there was a decline in the quality of game, until they began fading from relevance.  If all it took was "Star Wars", they should have been expanding, not contracting, and Disney wouldn't had to have put them down.  The reason EA can get such huge sales from such poor games is it's MASSIVE marketing budget, I'm willing to bet even scientists in Antarctica will hear about EA's upcoming releases.  EA just has the money to saturate all media.  I remember when Simcity was a disaster worthy of the Hindenburg, they still managed to advertise that thing to the max after word had gotten out that it was a lemon.  All my banner ads and youtube ads were of Simcity, nonstop for a month.  And that was a game so bad, EA gave me a free game in compensation.

Edited by Sventex

[5BS] _RC1138 780
2,892 posts

See the only thing that Wargaming or EA or any game dev need worry about from the media is attention on lawmakers. While there *is* a game's lobbiest group, they don't tend to have the clout/pull that other lobbiest groups have. As such, especially in the US, they are far more susceptible to regulation than other industries. And gambling is *very* rough, as it can be seen as undue income, and thus taxable beyond normal income tax. What games' developers need worry about is not regulation per-se in the sense of outright banning or limiting lootboxes, but *HUGE* tax hikes commiserate to other gambling ventures that reduce their profits dramatically. This could potentially snowball to a price hike on everything, as most business, games or otherwise, when faced with f*king the customer, or taking a pay reduction at high levels, will nearly 100% of the time choose to f*k the customer.

[5BS] _RC1138 780
2,892 posts
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

The average consumer is stupid: either because they fail to inform themselves, or do, and don't care, because they want that damn game. And game dev's have more or less figured that out and are basically betting the hard 6 on it. So far, I see 0, *ZERO* reason the suggest they are wrong in doing so, as consumer apathy would make Seligman's Dog jealous.

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway 2,748
10,927 posts
10,065 battles
4 hours ago, Mr_Alex said:

All that stuff they talk about gambling?  That's been happening in MMORPGs for over a decade now.  Only now when it hits an FPS game with a Star Wars name does it merit news attention.  Anyone that's been doing MMOs, especially F2P MMOs, have dealt with this s--t for years and years and years now.

Sventex 1,069
4,432 posts
4,824 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

All that stuff they talk about gambling?  That's been happening in MMORPGs for over a decade now.  Only now when it hits an FPS game with a Star Wars name does it merit news attention.  Anyone that's been doing MMOs, especially F2P MMOs, have dealt with this s--t for years and years and years now.

And it's one of the reasons I left World of Warcraft.  I got sick of the Raids and Dungeons that took hours to complete, to drop random loot that nobody could use.  I can't believe so many YouTube personalities advertise for "real" life lootcrates that just contain random junk. 

10,927 posts
10,065 battles
14 minutes ago, Sventex said:

And it's one of the reasons I left World of Warcraft.  I got sick of the Raids and Dungeons that took hours to complete, to drop random loot that nobody could use.  I can't believe so many YouTube personalities advertise for "real" life lootcrates that just contain random junk. 

I've been a longtime Star Trek Online player.  Originally it was a Subscription MMO but later Atari went to s--t and Perfect World Entertainment took her up.  Soon we had Lockboxes, Lockbox Keys enter the equation and it changed the dynamics of the game since.

Every quarter when a new Lockbox comes out, I always look at the Official Forums.  There is always some player complaining he spent $200+ USD on opening Lockboxes and never got the desired Lockbox Ship... Every box opened was a dice roll.  There were threads of people spending $800 USD, and not get the ship they wanted.  Veteran players knew better ways to get these ships but it wasn't cheap on the market from ingame resources.  But newer players?  Man, they get taken to the cleaners.  It's not just ships, either.  Equipment for space and ground, crystals to get more premium equipment and even more premium ships.  Years ago they started adding bridge officer abilities into the lockboxes.

The funny part?  There's far more aggressive schemes out there.

It's been like this for years now in MMORPGs.  But it takes Star Wars Battlefront 2 for people to talk about this more.

Edit:  EA SWBF2 though is even dirtier.  You spend $60-80 USD (depending on version) to buy and play the game, then you get exposed to the same dirty F2P blitz that make many F2P MMOMRPGs blush.  Taking the worst of both B2P and F2P and throwing it into one game.

Really, it looked like DICE got their s**t together somewhat for this game then all this other stuff happens.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

6,975 posts
3,902 battles
On 11/13/2017 at 2:13 PM, Lert said:

It'll only be a 'disaster' and a learning experience for EA if dimwits stop thinking 'it won't be so bad this time, surely they'll have learned' and give EA their money regardless of all the crap they've pulled / produced.

The odd thing about this?

They you know, changed that a while back. But people are so quick to crapall over everything from EA that it doesn't even matter

[5BS] _RC1138 780
2,892 posts

See what's funny to me in all this (I had largely ignored BF2 up until today because, duh, it's an EA game, it *should* be ignored) is that ME3 did this exact method about 6 years ago. World of Warships does this *now* and will likely do more with this year's Santa crates, and many, MANY other games have used this methodology. So why *now?* Why this past month or two did people get fed up with these methods? Hell TF2 introduced Crate in the Mann'Conomy update what? 8 years ago? Same thing. No one cared then, not much anyway.

Sventex 1,069
4,432 posts
4,824 battles
1 minute ago, _RC1138 said:

See what's funny to me in all this (I had largely ignored BF2 up until today because, duh, it's an EA game, it *should* be ignored) is that ME3 did this exact method about 6 years ago. World of Warships does this *now* and will likely do more with this year's Santa crates, and many, MANY other games have used this methodology. So why *now?* Why this past month or two did people get fed up with these methods? Hell TF2 introduced Crate in the Mann'Conomy update what? 8 years ago? Same thing. No one cared then, not much anyway.

I point towards EA's marketing budget.  EVERYONE'S heard of BF2, you couldn't ignore the release even if you actively tried.  Name the last time you saw a TV ad about TF2, or World of Warships?

It's the combination of the hype train derailing at full speed into backlash station.

[NBUL2] Goodwood_Alpha 756
2,397 posts
8,433 battles
3 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

The usual method, I assure you, which comes in many metaphorical flavors: the straw that broke the camel's back, the crack that burst the dam, the pulled thread that unraveled the garment...the list goes on.

The gravy train had to stop eventually.

[5BS] _RC1138 780
2,892 posts
Just now, Sventex said:

I point towards EA's marketing budget.  EVERYONE'S heard of BF2, you couldn't ignore the release even if you actively tried.  Name the last time you saw a TV ad about TF2, or World of Warships?

It's the combination of the hype train derailing at full speed into backlash station.

Yeah but everyone's heard of ME3. That had the *same* lootboxes 6 years ago. Most everyone heard of Andromeda, same exact lootboxes. Many other games have had lootboxes. Hell we had them last year and many bought them *happily.* Why the sudden angst? I'm all for it, screw EA, but the engineer in me asks why the sudden change in circumstance? Why do other companies get a pass but EA didn't?

6,975 posts
3,902 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

So why *now?*

Better question.

Why through a crapfit at EA?

Let's not even get into the fact that you don't need to get crates to get characters (Fact, you simply 'buy' them with credits that you can earn in one night per one hero if you really wanted)

Or the fact that the Gun options for each class aren't loot-box based and haven't been for over a month (you get kills with class? Get the guns, simple)

So, The best thing about people throwing a bunch of crapat this game about 'this' thing?

It's an issue that EA put out an announcement for 2-3 weeks back in the first place. But you know, research and whatnot, too difficult.

Nothing more than players taking old data to throw crap  at a company that has long since been surpassed by Ubsoft at being the worst Gaming Developer. Too typical for internet goons.

Sventex 1,069
4,432 posts
4,824 battles
17 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Yeah but everyone's heard of ME3. That had the *same* lootboxes 6 years ago. Most everyone heard of Andromeda, same exact lootboxes. Many other games have had lootboxes. Hell we had them last year and many bought them *happily.* Why the sudden angst? I'm all for it, screw EA, but the engineer in me asks why the sudden change in circumstance? Why do other companies get a pass but EA didn't?

Mass Effect was predominantly a Single Player game, which the loot boxes didn't effect.  And frankly, EA's ME3 ending controversy ending caused enough angst among fans.  Andromeda, also had a EA ****storm, which ended in the death of the game, all DLCs and planned development has been canceled.  EA's Star Wars Battlefront, was built as a mutiplayer game first, and when the loot boxes are the core of the game, well the effect of the loot boxes are going to be greater.

6,975 posts
3,902 battles

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-removes-microtransactions-/1100-6455042/

Loot boxes canned.

Furthermore for all of the reddit-goons.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch

The 'unlocked' upgrades was changed weeks ago.

Maybe people should actually you know, get up to date data before throwing poo all over the place. But that'd be wanting people to get an informed opinion instead of listening to some youtuber's opinion and pass it off as fact.

Which continues to be overly difficult for most people, clearly.

[NSF] Big_Spud 2,320
4,621 posts
5,327 battles

EA being slightly less trash than Ubishit doesn't make me want to hate them any less...

• Cool 1

928 posts
601 battles
3 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

Thanks for reminding me how much the crate system reminds me of ME3. That game's multiplayer managed to be fun in spite of the RNG loot system, and frankly it was the shoddily written single player* (not to mention the endings) got the lion's share of the controversies.

*In hindsight, ME2 sort of f*cked over ME3 by introducing so many different paths that it's nearly impossible for Bioware to address all of them in a satisfactory manner, especially given the time constraints and staff shifts.

Edited by DeliciousFart

10,927 posts
10,065 battles
1 hour ago, Sakuzhi said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/star-wars-battlefront-2-removes-microtransactions-/1100-6455042/

Loot boxes canned.

Furthermore for all of the reddit-goons.

https://www.ea.com/games/starwars/battlefront/battlefront-2/news/swbfii-changes-launch

The 'unlocked' upgrades was changed weeks ago.

Maybe people should actually you know, get up to date data before throwing poo all over the place. But that'd be wanting people to get an informed opinion instead of listening to some youtuber's opinion and pass it off as fact.

Which continues to be overly difficult for most people, clearly.

LOL they only did that because of the uproar, not because they decided to initiate an act of good will on their own :Smile_teethhappy: