You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

EA SW Battlefront DISASTER

244 comments in this topic

issm    3,164
6 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Of course, that said, people who purchased halloween lootboxes en masse all seemed to receive a significantly higher dollar amount of items than what they paid. :Smile_amazed:

But still more than they might have paid had they had the option to directly buy the skins standalone.

Nhi_Vanye    170
3 minutes ago, Brohk said:

Amen. I'm still using flags and premium camo obtained from last years Santa gifts. 

That would be where most people, myself included, would draw the line. Issm may be correct that they are testing the waters though, the Halloween camos were all locked behind lootboxes and we could only earn a maximum of 5 in-game before we had to hit up the premium shop. 

Of course, that said, people who purchased halloween lootboxes en masse all seemed to receive a significantly higher dollar amount of items than what they paid. :Smile_amazed:

:Smile_great:  I paid for 25,000 doubloons.  I received 11 permanent camos, 75 1-shot camos, ~750 signals, 1.4 mil credits, and 40,000 Doubloons!  All things considered, I have no problem with how WG handled that.

issm    3,164
2 minutes ago, Nhi_Vanye said:

:Smile_great:  I paid for 25,000 doubloons.  I received 11 permanent camos, 75 1-shot camos, ~750 signals, 1.4 mil credits, and 40,000 Doubloons!  All things considered, I have no problem with how WG handled that.

The slippery slope here is well established.

You like it NOW, wait a few years and see.

Skpstr    1,454
39 minutes ago, issm said:

I'm sure everyone thought lootboxes were harmless when what, TF2? introduced them 10 years ago. Look at them now.

I thought they sold cheap hats...

tcbaker777    881
1 hour ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

mrw-im-making-out-with-emma-stone-in-a-l

ive seen the Hercules movie, but ive never seen this scene, or is it from something else?

DemonGod3    28
11 minutes ago, Fog_Repair_Ship_Akashi said:

It is from Hercules, it is during one of Hades rants, which one I can't remember. 

It happens when he finds out Hercules wasn’t killed as a child.

Naviss    82

I stopped buying things published from EA long ago. Talk with your money not a stupid down vote that nobody cares about. Hell, EA beat out Comcast one year for worst company in America. Still never changed or did anything different. Only the people have the power to make or break a company, Yet the people are to stupid to follow through, They only want to whine and cry about it while still feeding them money. And because of that I say Good on EA! Scam stupid customers!! More power to them. Why change when they make so much money. I sure wouldn't! And I'd keep pushing the limited till it did make a tiny impact. 

Sventex    821
9 minutes ago, Naviss said:

I stopped buying things published from EA long ago. Talk with your money not a stupid down vote that nobody cares about. Hell, EA beat out Comcast one year for worst company in America. Still never changed or did anything different. Only the people have the power to make or break a company, Yet the people are to stupid to follow through, They only want to whine and cry about it while still feeding them money. And because of that I say Good on EA! Scam stupid customers!! More power to them. Why change when they make so much money. I sure wouldn't! And I'd keep pushing the limited till it did make a tiny impact. 

That's not so easy when EA absorbed so many beloved franchises into it's Empire.  I am talking with my money, and as a result, I've bought one AAA title this entire year, Zero Horizon Dawn.  I get the impression talking with my wallet has done absolutely nothing, and is a bunch of horsedung.  You may celebrate EA rotting the video gaming industry, but I sure as heck wont, nor will I be quiet about it, since being quiet never works.  Or have we forgotten the last presidential election.  Stop trying to convince people to stop complaining, we already know that will never work in this day and age.  If you want to get something done, you have to throw a tantrum, otherwise nobody cares.

Edited by Sventex

Naviss    82
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

That's not so easy when EA absorbed so many beloved franchises into it's Empire.  I am talking with my money, and as a result, I've bought one AAA title this entire year, Zero Horizon Dawn.  I get the impression talking with my wallet has done absolutely nothing, and is a bunch of horsedung.  You may celebrate EA rotting the video gaming industry, but sure as heck wont, nor will I be quiet about it, since being quiet never works.  Or have we forgotten the last presidential election.  Stop trying to convince people to stop complaining, we already know that will never work in this day and age.

People will never stop whining and complaining, My problem is them same people also bought one of their games that year, which is normally why they are whining and complaining. You're right about one thing, EA sucks up small studios and handles most all the main stream triple A titles now. Because of that it's made a big void in games for me. I only really buy indie games now, or random sim related stuff like farming simulator, SpinTires, And honestly Blizzard is about on the same no buy list anymore but I still play Diablo from when I bought it at launch.

Few people are going to be like me, They want cool games. And there really isn't any that EA don't own or Mircosoft doesn't own. I use to feel bored not having a shooter to jump into and enjoy but the amount of hackers in their games anymore and how bad EA is, I find myself only mad and not having fun. Now I'm just waiting on Star Citizen. Hopefully it's out before I die.

Not telling people to stop complaining or voicing their opinion, That's always a good thing. Just saying all the tear's fall on deaf ears. EA only speaks money. And not only do they treat their customers like crap I know the studios they buy up gets treated even worse. 

HazeGrayUnderway    2,482

I lost faith in DICE with BF3.

When they did the previous Star Wars Battlefront 1 a few years ago, I warily watched and my patience was rewarded.  It was a pretty but hollow game.

I wondered if EA SWBF2 would learn its lessons but it seems like it's one big Dairy Farm.  EA is really pushing the monetization of that game, but even before that, they were doing similar things with BF3 & 4 (which should have been an expansion pack to BF3 and not a new game).

Regardless of all this attention EA has with SWBF2, they will make a lot of money off this.  A bunch of people up in arms about what they're doing, all their ranting, it's meaningless.  They're going to be Pre-Order and they're going to get it, and they're going to fork out the extra money.

Edit:  There is no such thing as bad publicity.  Various online articles, threads like this across the internet, all it does is promote EA SWBF2.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Sventex    821
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I lost faith in DICE with BF3.

When they did the previous Star Wars Battlefront 1 a few years ago, I warily watched and my patience was rewarded.  It was a pretty but hollow game.

I wondered if EA SWBF2 would learn its lessons but it seems like it's one big Dairy Farm.  EA is really pushing the monetization of that game, but even before that, they were doing similar things with BF3 & 4 (which should have been an expansion pack to BF3 and not a new game).

Regardless of all this attention EA has with SWBF2, they will make a lot of money off this.  A bunch of people up in arms about what they're doing, all their ranting, it's meaningless.  They're going to be Pre-Order and they're going to get it, and they're going to fork out the extra money.

Edit:  There is no such thing as bad publicity.  Various online articles, threads like this across the internet, all it does is promote EA SWBF2.

I'm not 100% sure about no such thing as bad publicity.  The mutiplayer population of SWBF dropped like a stone because the game was so hollow.  No one wants to play a mutiplayer based game that loses it's population right away because the game is of poor quality.  EAs marketing spent millions trying to dissuade the disillusions played with commercials involving their singleplayer campaign.  But whatever trust the marketing was gathering from the playerbase was lost due to the lootcrate episode, and those millions of dollars might as well have been lost.  Sure, the game might do AAA money on day one, but it wont have legs, just like before and fail before they can make any dlc money, and those microtransations are only going to pay off in the few weeks the game has a population.  And ultimately, the franchise is not going to be a cash cow of everyone abandons it so quickly.

Taichunger    1,942
20 hours ago, TTK_Aegis said:

I remember when you got the whole game, a really nice quality box that opened like a boardgame box, not a fliptop box, a huge manual full of detail, story and character bios, posters, sometimes a keychain and other little baubles... and in the case of Ultima a really, really cool map of the world on thick, high quality cloth. 

Those were the days, man. 

Still have my Baldur's Gate box with the t-shirt....

issm    3,164
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

I thought they sold cheap hats...

They started selling lootbox keys when they went F2P.

2 hours ago, Sventex said:

Have they?  Because they haven't put nearly all the premium ships locked behind the lootbox unlike some other games.  If you want a Dunkerque, you don't have to hit up the slots in the vain gambler's hope of winning one.

They've already done just this with Imperator Nikolai and Gremyaschy though, and as I remember a whole bunch of people bought way more X-mas crates than they probably planned to (Myself included) hoping for one of those ships. Now Kutuzov, Belfast, Kamikaze, and Konig Albert are likely going to be in the same boat, plus there's the Halloween camos. It's definitely a trend moving in a the wrong direction.

Sventex    821
2 minutes ago, Kirishima_Desu said:

They've already done just this with Imperator Nikolai and Gremyaschy though, and as I remember a whole bunch of people bought way more X-mas crates than they probably planned to (Myself included) hoping for one of those ships. Now Kutuzov, Belfast, Kamikaze, and Konig Albert are likely going to be in the same boat, plus there's the Halloween camos. It's definitely a trend moving in a the wrong direction.

It's the wrong direction sure, but they haven't put nearly all the premium ships locked behind the lootbox unlike some other games.  If you want a Dunkerque, you don't have to hit up the slots in the vain gambler's hope of winning one.  Although, it does stink that the OP premiums are still obtainable.

Edited by Sventex

HazeGrayUnderway    2,482
48 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I'm not 100% sure about no such thing as bad publicity.  The mutiplayer population of SWBF dropped like a stone because the game was so hollow.  No one wants to play a mutiplayer based game that loses it's population right away because the game is of poor quality.  EAs marketing spent millions trying to dissuade the disillusions played with commercials involving their singleplayer campaign.  But whatever trust the marketing was gathering from the playerbase was lost due to the lootcrate episode, and those millions of dollars might as well have been lost.  Sure, the game might do AAA money on day one, but it wont have legs, just like before and fail before they can make any dlc money, and those microtransations are only going to pay off in the few weeks the game has a population.  And ultimately, the franchise is not going to be a cash cow of everyone abandons it so quickly.

I dunno man.  The thing is the pattern repeats itself with EA.  Yet here they are, more than a decade after gaining notoriety for these stunts, and they are one of the biggest powerhouses in gaming.  As LWM stated, EA owns access to a lot of big names, have bought out lots of studios / competition.  And here they are, the giants in gaming.

It may indeed sputter like you said.  But what matters to me is the Star Wars Battlefront franchise is still in the swamp since the original SWBF2 came out in 2005.  I had hopes DICE would apply their expertise from BF2 / 2142 into the Star Wars name and that's been nothing but failure.

I also want to bring up again, even though it's old dirt to you longtime gamers, was that DICE criticized Activision for how they were milking the Call of Duty playerbase before they released BF3.  Ever since BF3, it's been nothing but lots of milking by DICE.  EASWBF2 (because I like to distinguish it from the original one in the early 2000s) is just taking it all to another level.

44 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Still have my Baldur's Gate box with the t-shirt....

The gold standard for me, especially from the Golden Era of Flight Simulations:

ZgpDPvj.jpg

That was the regular game release itself.  No collector's / deluxe edition.  That was the base game.  From that era, Falcon 4.0 and European Air War gave me many, many hours of enjoyment. 

RIP Microprose.  I still miss you guys.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

Sventex    821
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I dunno man.  The thing is the pattern repeats itself with EA.  Yet here they are, more than a decade after gaining notoriety for these stunts, and they are one of the biggest powerhouses in gaming.  As LWM stated, EA owns access to a lot of big names, have bought out lots of studios / competition.  And here they are, the giants in gaming.

It may indeed sputter like you said.  But what matters to me is the Star Wars Battlefront franchise is still in the swamp since the original SWBF2 came out in 2005.  I had hopes DICE would apply their expertise from BF2 / 2142 into the Star Wars name and that's been nothing but failure.

I also want to bring up again, even though it's old dirt to you longtime gamers, was that DICE criticized Activision for how they were milking the Call of Duty playerbase before they released BF3.  Ever since BF3, it's been nothing but lots of milking by DICE.  EASWBF2 (because I like to distinguish it from the original one in the early 2000s) is just taking it all to another level.

I suppose it's possible that the suits at EA pushing to milk more money from SWBF weren't communicating with the marketing team, or weren't even aware of the first game's problems.  There's an arrogance at EA that smacks of crowned prince that can do no wrong because of the name, which results in the craziest and dumbest money stunts that normal companies couldn't get away with.  Like I said earlier, EA is a paradox of capitalism, doing all the wrongs things and getting all the money, like a inbred King might be entitled to.  The profits on these games are preordained, so of course the quality doesn't matter anymore.  EA is the kind of company that would give Adam Smith nightmares.

Dodgy_Cookies    100

I dont understand the controversy, play the game to unlock the heros, or pay more to try to unlock them earlier. The gambling for credits is a bit shady i guess. Would people be happier if they sold credits directly for real money? 

I guess people don't like progression anymore as I dont see an issue with locking heros behind gameplay. Is it the length people have issues with? because many games without micro transactions also have heros locked behind gameplay, like all the nintendo smash games, and all the mario karts.

Sventex    821
3 minutes ago, Dodgy_Cookies said:

I dont understand the controversy, play the game to unlock the heros, or pay more to try to unlock them earlier. The gambling for credits is a bit shady i guess. Would people be happier if they sold credits directly for real money? 

I guess people don't like progression anymore as I dont see an issue with locking heros behind gameplay. Is it the length people have issues with? because many games without micro transactions also have heros locked behind gameplay, like all the nintendo smash games, and all the mario karts.

Put it this way, unlocked said hero costs more money then the entire game itself.  Would you enjoy fighting players who paid all that money so they could slice you to pieces while you have almost no chance of fighting back, all on the first day of the game's release?

Seraphil    1,136

Honestly, if the heroes locked behind 40 hours of grind were not Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader, the two primary characters of the Star Wars franchise, I don't think this would have turned into such a ****storm as it did.

This would be like if a new DBZ fighting game came out, and Goku was locked behind a massive grind/paywall.

There's also the fact that 40 hours of grind in a FPS is a ridiculous amount, especially when considering that's for ONE unlockable.

DeadMeat_015    213
35 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The gold standard for me, especially from the Golden Era of Flight Simulations:

ZgpDPvj.jpg

That was the regular game release itself.  No collector's / deluxe edition.  That was the base game.  From that era, Falcon 4.0 and European Air War gave me many, many hours of enjoyment. 

RIP Microprose.  I still miss you guys.

Amen brother

and

ikKVtGh.jpg

• Cool 2

Dodgy_Cookies    100
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Put it this way, unlocked said hero costs more money then the entire game itself.  Would you enjoy fighting players who paid all that money so they could slice you to pieces while you have almost no chance of fighting back, all on the first day of the game's release?

I just don't see how having progression in a game is bad. Sure maybe the grind was a bit long but they've already reduced it by 75%. So it's the cost that was the issue? Or should all heroes and weapons be available at the start?

Plus I mean it's not like they can keep respawning as heros all the time. Still requires them to get enough battle points in a single match.