You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BeastOfGod

Division games fair?

26 comments in this topic

[WABUT]
[WABUT]
Beta Testers
23 posts
6,499 battles

Why can't a division not play a battle with a 2 tier difference like 8-10? Every time we get in battle we playing in a 10 battle so why we cant have an 8 and a 10? We play 2 BBs, @ CCs, 1BB & 1CC it doesn't matter we will be in a 10 battle. My son only has an 8 and I have 8, 9, & 10s, but I cant get in a 10 to back him up. But we will always be in a 10 battle. I have to play my New Orleans when I could be in my Des Moines or even my Montana. It seems to me if we got some tier 8 battles but it's never the case. It will always be a tier 10 battle cause his only 8 he has is the North Carolina which is a great ship. but against a Des Moines and a Montana it's hopeless. And I cant back him up in my 10. Complete dissapointment:(

Members
2,115 posts
8,412 battles

You can still bring a tier IX in to help him out. The Division mechanisms are the way they are for a reason, and that reason is the people who like to bring Umikazes into tier X matches and   Needlessly handicap your team

• Cool 2

[MEIST]
Members
883 posts
3,171 battles

Play the same tier of your son and quit getting him low tiered. You have the ships to do it. What you are doing is what they call a "fail division".

[FOXEH]
Beta Testers
8,917 posts
15,675 battles

My questions.

1. What is a CC?

2. This rule keeps tier 5 ships out of tier 9 matches when they div up with tier 7 ships. It is a good rule, so I vote it stays.

3. Work your son up to tier 10, and you can div all day long.

Members
2,614 posts
3,569 battles

I came to this thread expecting another complaint about how playing socially and with your friends is tantamount to cheating, as they think it gives you an unfair advantage.

I was sorely disappointed.

But, be that as it may. I really think that they could make an exception to the rule for tier 8. After all, its not like they are going to go getting stuck in tier 12 matches?

[WOLF6]
Members
686 posts
3,933 battles

If you bring a 10 with a 8, the 8 will always be bottom tier he will never have a chance to be top tier.   At least if you bring equal tier 8s, there is a chance he might get top tier once in a blue moon

[INTEL]
Members
8,825 posts
26,291 battles

No. If you div an 8 and a 10, you bring in an 8 to balance. That's really not fair to that player, who might have been in a better-tiered match for his ship. 

Edited by Taichunger

Members
4,208 posts

I never understood why people will division different tiers to begin with.  You're basically screwing that lower tier player.

• Cool 1

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles

I think the reason is to limit the tier spread. If a T7 was diving with a T5, technically that T5 could be in a T9 match, and that is the kind of things that upsets players in your team

Edited by PicknChew

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,890 posts
8,402 battles

For the most part I like the divisions,

I was in a T1 ina T10 division for the fun of it, and I was really putting it to the enemy when a player Tkd me cause I quote..."took up a spot"

what was funny is I was doing serious damage when he did it.

The MM limitations are the issue, no division and no battle should be more than one off,

in my world,only 9s and 10s could be in a battle together,

T6 could see T5 or T7

seems simple to me, but i do not write code.

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles
5 hours ago, Umikami said:

My questions.

1. What is a CC?

In accordance to the London Naval Treaty of 1930, light cruisers (CL) were cruisers with 155 mm or smaller guns, whereas heavy cruisers (CA) were cruisers generally with guns of 203 mm. Anything with larger guns was called a battlecruiser (CC). Under the Washington Naval Treaty, cruisers could be no greater than 10,000 tons displacement so light and heavy referred to the guns not the weight of the ship or its armor. The term "armored cruiser" was actually a pre-WWI designation. In the 1950s, all gun cruisers, regardless of caliber, were redesignated CA, whereas guided missile cruisers were designated CG (or sometimes CAG if they were previous heavy cruisers). Currently the US Navy has no gun-only cruisers so all USN cruisers are now CG.

Edited by Snargfargle
  • Cool 1

[WABUT]
[WABUT]
Beta Testers
23 posts
6,499 battles

guess u dweebs dont understand, we go in 2 tier 8s and always in a 10 battle. but cant bring an 8 and a 10 where i could support him better. It's still [edited]

[SALVO]
Members
17,700 posts
18,486 battles
39 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

In accordance to the London Naval Treaty of 1930, light cruisers (CL) were cruisers with 155 mm or smaller guns, whereas heavy cruisers (CA) were cruisers generally with guns of 203 mm. Anything with larger guns was called a battlecruiser (CC). Under the Washington Naval Treaty, cruisers could be no greater than 10,000 tons displacement so light and heavy referred to the guns not the weight of the ship or its armor. The term "armored cruiser" was actually a pre-WWI designation. In 1950s, all gun cruisers, regardless of caliber, were redesignated CA, whereas guided missile cruisers were designated CG. Currently the US Navy has no gun-only cruisers so all USN cruisers are now CG.

Actually, the CL, CA, and CC designators are from the US Navy.  Personally, I don't use the CC designator.  I use the one found in the vast majority of other games for battlecruiser, i.e. "BC".  And mind you, I've been using the BC for nearly 4 decades. 

As for the OP, he's most likely using CC for cruisers because he sees BB for battleship and DD for destroyer and makes the logical, but wrong assumption that a doubled-C must be the designator for cruiser.

Also, you make the correct observation about "armored cruiser".  But you should have added one other point, and that is, that the "CA" designator originally meant "Cruiser, Armored".

3 minutes ago, BeastOfGod said:

guess u dweebs dont understand, we go in 2 tier 8s and always in a 10 battle. but cant bring an 8 and a 10 where i could support him better. It's still [edited]

No, it's not (bleep).  It's a "fail division", according to WG's definition. 

Oh, I get why you're thinking that way because tier 8's can see tier 10 battles.  But it's single corner case where a division can have a ship that's 2 tiers down and still not really be a fail division.  Most likely, WG didn't want to make the fail division code any more complex than necessary, and stuck with the across the board 1 tier difference.  Deal with it.  They're highly unlikely to change it.

Members
18,996 posts
5,340 battles
2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

No. If you div an 8 and a 10, you bring in an 8 to balance. That's really not fair to that player, who might have been in a better-tiered match for his ship. 

Pretty sure that a div has always been tiered as its highest ship. If you could div an 8 and a 10, a 10 and a 10 would balance it.

[OO7]
[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,985 posts
3,577 battles

Matchmaking always works the following way:

Ship Tier + or - 2 = Maximum or Minimum Tiered Ally or Opponent.

If Div than Ship Tier is = Highest Tiered Division ship.

So in this way a Tier 8 and 10 Division is always a Tier 10 battle. This prevents people from bringing Tier 10s against Tier 6s.

Tier 8s are still more than likely to be uptiered, than Top-Tier thanks to special matchmaking for lower Tiers that causes the same issue to happen at Tier 6.

The best choice remains to play the exact same Tier ship to maximise the chance of being top Tier.

Going further, if you're the same class you're more likely to not be Bottom Tier as it's harder for MM to find 2 ships of the same type and Tier when it pulls lower Tiers into higher games, though this works better with 3 shop Divs. Fair warning MM will give up sometimes and place your 3, same Tier and Ship types against higher Tiered ships just to force a match.

Members
18,996 posts
5,340 battles
10 minutes ago, BeastOfGod said:

If you go in 2 Tier 8s, you'll probably get in a Tier 10 battle. But you might get in a Tier 9 battle, or you might get a Tier 8 battle. (which shouldn't be hard, because as everybody knows, Tier 6 ships always get in Tier 8 matches, so there must be lots of them)

But if you could run a 10, you would get a Tier 10 match every time, guaranteed. Also, your son's Tier 8 would be treated as a Tier 10 for MM purposes, which makes it harder for your team to win.

• Cool 1

Members
4,208 posts
58 minutes ago, BeastOfGod said:

So, basically you always want the T8 to be bottom tier.  Can you not support him just as well in a T8?  And honestly, T8-10 matches suck.

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles
59 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Actually, the CL, CA, and CC designators are from the US Navy...

The main point I was making is that even official government designations and definitions have changed over the years. Therefore, if someone in this game is confused about the difference between CL, CA, CG, and CC, it's understandable.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,967 posts
13,203 battles
1 hour ago, BeastOfGod said:

guess u dweebs dont understand, we go in 2 tier 8s and always in a 10 battle. 

T8s do not always end up in T10 battles.  Sometimes they are mid tiered...and sometimes they are top tiered.  You will not ALWAYS be in a T10 battle with two T8s in a division.

Also, two T8s in a division with communication (working together) will give the TEAM an advantage regardless of the tier they find themselves in.  The sum of a division is worth more than its individual parts.  The MM will be matching against those two T8s and sometimes those matches will not be divisioned and will not have the synergy of the sum of the parts.

[SWOB]
Beta Testers
486 posts
3,793 battles

I think most people do understand, but you are not listening. You might still get a T8 or T9 game in a T8 division. You often get T10 but not always. Does it suck? Yes. But, if you were to bring a T10 with a T8 the T8 will always see T10s. 

I play a lot of T8s in divisions and while we are often in games against T9s and T10s we also see T8.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Members
3,302 posts
9,758 battles
3 hours ago, Wowzery said:

I never understood why people will division different tiers to begin with.  You're basically screwing that lower tier player.

You've obviously never taken a t4 cv with 2 t5's in a div intentionally to force a t5 game... It's devious

[RUST]
Beta Testers
965 posts
10,639 battles

You are matched up based on the highest tiered ship in your division, if you do an Tier 8 + tier 10, you will always get tier 10 games. If you can't carry your son in a tier 8, then either one or both of you should player lower tiers so you two can get better and help the team in the division.

[SALVO]
Members
17,700 posts
18,486 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

The main point I was making is that even official government designations and definitions have changed over the years. Therefore, if someone in this game is confused about the difference between CL, CA, CG, and CC, it's understandable.

Meh, it's not rocket science for crying out loud.

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
19,183 battles
3 hours ago, StingRayOne said:

For the most part I like the divisions,

I was in a T1 ina T10 division for the fun of it, and I was really putting it to the enemy when a player Tkd me cause I quote..."took up a spot"

what was funny is I was doing serious damage when he did it.

The MM limitations are the issue, no division and no battle should be more than one off,

in my world,only 9s and 10s could be in a battle together,

T6 could see T5 or T7

seems simple to me, but i do not write code.

Ah the good old days of the umikaze in tier 10 battles.

• Cool 1

[PSP]
Members
6,670 posts
9,721 battles
2 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Meh, it's not rocket science for crying out loud.

OK, a class of ships launched during WWII with the designation CA were re-assigned to a new class with the designation changed to CAG but then changed back to CA. What were these ships and why was the designation changed? Also, what is the WOWS representative of one of these ships?