FireAndHEspam

What tiers of play does the playerbase prefer?

• You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

What tiers are your favorite to play?   105 members have voted

1. 1. Read title

• Low-tier (I-IV)
    • Mid-tier (V-VII)
    • High-tier(VIII-X)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

55 posts in this topic

Just a quick question for anyone willing to answer. A short, sweet, and simple “what tiers are your favorite to play?”

Personally I prefer higher tier gameplay, especially tier X. Guaranteed top tier and some really powerful ships to boot? Sign me up. Albiet the meta at those tiers is somewhat passive, especially with a lot of BB players, I enjoy higher tier play because I enjoy doing truckloads of damage, farming elite commander XP to jump start captains and retrain/respec existing ones as needed, plus farming XP and credits at the same time? Sign me up for that.

Should you choose to answer, please do feel free to tell why you enjoy those tiers more then others. I do want to see multiple perspectives here, as currently I personally see no reason to play any tier other then tier X, save for premium ships

rWC6Odx.jpg

I strongly dislike the meta at tier 10. Tiers 5 ~ 8 are, to me, a lot more fun. The ships are varied and interesting and still have personality. Don't care about being top or bottom tier very much.

The mid-tiers are the meat of the game for me.  You have some of the most varied ship combinations to encounter, and there's a special sort of satisfaction to performing well in a tier 5 in a tier 7 game, tier 6 in tier 8, etc.

Having played a decent amount of games in the tier 8~10 bracket is enough to dissuade me from getting more tier 10s than the Yamato(though admittedly I am still interested in the Minotaur.)  Bit of a conundrum for me, since the Yamamoto campaign is all tier 8 and higher so my progress on it has been slow and feels like a slog.  Once I get him I'm probably going to park my tier 8/9 ships for a while.

I have over 1200 battles at tier 6 and about the same at tier 8. The reason for this is that my favorite ships are the Cleveland and Atago. If the Cleveland moves to tier 8 my tier 6 games will be few and far between unless it's a tier 6 Ranked season.

Sorry double post.
Forum went Bad Gateway ;-;

Edited by DJ_PON3_ZaNe

6-8 are really good. 5 and below I don't really enjoy, because the ships tend to have been designed for a transitioning era. Tier 9 and 10 aren't very fun to me. There's just not enough ship variety, so one game feels indistinguishable from another.

28 minutes ago, Lert said:

rWC6Odx.jpg

I strongly dislike the meta at tier 10. Tiers 5 ~ 8 are, to me, a lot more fun. The ships are varied and interesting and still have personality. Don't care about being top or bottom tier very much.

Define “personality.” When I think of that in terms of ships I usually think of stuff like ship stats, port view, server averages, etc...I’d imagine your definition is something completely different 

How the heck am I supposed to know, mired down here in Tier IV, whether I prefer the upper tiers?

Given that so many members here have no idea of the alternatives, this poll is completely uninformative.

As ship lines progress through the tiers, most improve more in firepower than they do in raw protection. This may be because there are a lot more parameters in attack, such as range, accuracy, penetration, damage, fire chance etc. which multiply each other's effectiveness, than there are in tankyness, which is mostly dependent on armor and health.

As a result, I find that the focus of gameplay tends to shift from doing damage in the early tiers to trying to protect oneself from damage (mostly by avoiding being spotted,) in the higher tiers. Even ships like the mighty Yamato can feel like glass cannons if spotted into the wrong positions. While low tier games can feel like a cluster of ships sailing and firing in every direction, high tier games often involve a lot of tense sitting around next to islands; ready to dash into cover like a scared rabbit.

Most people enjoy the happy middle; tiers 5-7. Guns are inaccurate enough that it is possible to get away with mistakes, but lethal enough that one can consistently perform if one plays it correctly. Meanwhile, player skill is a mix between experienced and new players, so one can get a smug sense of superiority by thrashing the newbies, but engagements rarely turn into the illogical cluster [edited]s one sees at the really low tiers.

1 minute ago, iDuckman said:

How the heck am I supposed to know, mired down here in Tier IV, whether I prefer the upper tiers?

Given that so many members here have no idea of the alternatives, this poll is completely uninformative.

Even if you don’t play the higher tiers yourself you can still watch plenty of higher tier gameplay on YouTube and form an opinion based on that

So far I'm loving tier 8 even in a CV, after I've learned the ships and how to deal with tier 10s it's really fun, yet challenging.

8 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Define “personality.” When I think of that in terms of ships I usually think of stuff like ship stats, port view, server averages, etc...I’d imagine your definition is something completely different 

Untangibles. How comfortable a ship is to drive. Quirkiness. Unique gun layouts, added quirks like torpedoes for example. It's hard to explain, but to me a ship like Dunkerque has a lot of personality, a ship like Iowa doesn't. A ship like Scharnhorst has a lot of personality, a ship like Grosser Kurfuerst doesn't. Giulio Cesare has a lot of personality, Montana doesn't.

Khabarovsk has a lot of personality, but like I said, I strongly dislike the tier 10 gameplay.

I think of all the tier 10 ships I have, (Shimakaze, Zao, Yamato, Gearing, Des Monies, Montana, Khabarovsk, Moskva, Z-51, Hindenburg, Grosser Kurfuerst, Minotaur), I like Hindenburg the best.

Comfort is very important to me. At least, I call it 'comfort'. Giulio Cesare for example is a very comfortable ship to drive, it makes me feel like I'm fighting the red team, not fighting my own ship. Minotaur is comfortable and has personality, but it doesn't take hits at all. I'm a fairly aggressive player, Minotaur doesn't suit me. To me Hindenburg has the best combination of stats, personality and comfort. Hindenburg feels like a grumpy prizefighter to me. Lean, moves well, punches hard, can take a hit.

Currently my favorite ship in terms of personality is Giulio Cesare. It's small, angry, turns well, very comfortable to drive and hits well. Giulio Cesare feels like a midget mobster to me. Think Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

I'm sorry if my rambling doesn't make sense. Personality and comfort is a personal, subjective quality in a ship.

5 minutes ago, senseNOTmade said:

Most people enjoy the happy middle; tiers 5-7. Guns are inaccurate enough that it is possible to get away with mistakes, but lethal enough that one can consistently perform if one plays it correctly. Meanwhile, player skill is a mix between experienced and new players, so one can get a smug sense of superiority by thrashing the newbies, but engagements rarely turn into the illogical cluster [edited]s one sees at the really low tiers.

This is also a very good point.

Mid tier is probably the sweet spot where gameplay is the most dynamic and fun imo.

Low tier is fun if you're looking for a less-stressful game while still being capable of being an influencer to the game outcome. 

Didn't progress beyond Tier 8 because the gameplay does not suit my taste as a primary CV player, oh and AA creep + constant uptier.

2 minutes ago, Lert said:

Untangibles. How comfortable a ship is to drive. Quirkiness. Unique gun layouts, added quirks like torpedoes for example. It's hard to explain, but to me a ship like Dunkerque has a lot of personality, a ship like Iowa doesn't. A ship like Scharnhorst has a lot of personality, a ship like Grosser Kurfuerst doesn't. Giulio Cesare has a lot of personality, Montana doesn't.

Khabarovsk has a lot of personality, but like I said, I strongly dislike the tier 10 gameplay.

I feel another thing that leads to this sort of personality is many of the ships below tier 8 are from an era where each WWII-era navy was still experimenting with ideas and going through teething stages.  The ships from tier 8 and up are the results of this process, hence why you have a bunch of ships with very similar traits(like the joke about all new tier 10 BBs just being Montana clones.)

Just now, Seraphil said:

I feel another thing that leads to this sort of personality is many of the ships below tier 8 are from an era where each WWII-era navy was still experimenting with ideas and going through teething stages.  The ships from tier 8 and up are the results of this process, hence why you have a bunch of ships with very similar traits(like the joke about all new tier 10 BBs just being Montana clones.)

That's my thought as well. Well put.

10 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

7 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

Even if you don’t play the higher tiers yourself you can still watch plenty of higher tier gameplay on YouTube and form an opinion based on that

The poll isn't asking me whether I ^wish^ I could play high-tier, or whether I imagine that life would be better if only I could Ya -ma -to !  It asks which I prefer. 

Sorry, I (and I suspect most others) have no way to answer that honestly.

FWIW, I am having a lot of fun with the gutter-snipe French line, and I love me some III St. Louis, while the Tier IV alternatives vary from okay to throw-the-monitor (I mean you, Myogi).  Does that help?  Didn't think so.

Just now, iDuckman said:

I love me some III St. Louis

Try Bogatyr. Fit the 130s, train AFT on your captain and rain fire on St Louis from ranges they can't even touch you at.

11 minutes ago, Lert said:

I think of all the tier 10 ships I have, (Shimakaze, Zao, Yamato, Gearing, Des Monies, Montana, Khabarovsk, Moskva, Z-51, Hindenburg, Grosser Kurfuerst, Minotaur), I like Hindenburg the best.

Comfort is very important to me. At least, I call it 'comfort'. Giulio Cesare for example is a very comfortable ship to drive, it makes me feel like I'm fighting the red team, not fighting my own ship. Minotaur is comfortable and has personality, but it doesn't take hits at all. I'm a fairly aggressive player, Minotaur doesn't suit me. To me Hindenburg has the best combination of stats, personality and comfort. Hindenburg feels like a grumpy prizefighter to me. Lean, moves well, punches hard, can take a hit.

Currently my favorite ship in terms of personality is Giulio Cesare. It's small, angry, turns well, very comfortable to drive and hits well. Giulio Cesare feels like a midget mobster to me. Think Joe Pesci in Goodfellas.

I can understand the personality of a ship part, and the comfort to play, but one thing I don’t understand about playing mid tiers is how you can live with being constantly uptiered. Tier V and VI ships aren’t exactly the strongest. There are a few that are good ships, tier for tier, but being constantly uptiered? Ehh that’s just not particularly attractive to me. I know I said in one particular thread that I was happy when my Kagero faced tier Xs, but at least Kagero had a good number of things going for it, like that 5.4km detect. Glad you enjoy those tiers though. 

I relish being able to kick in a Tirpitz/Bismarck's face using my Fuso.

I really enjoy all the Tiers except I and II. I have favorite ships all up and down the Tiers. Konig Albert, Nassau, Clemson, Danae, Myogi, Furutaka, Emile Bertin, Budyonny, Fuso, Bayern, Nagato, Fiji,Hood,  Bismarck, Amagi, Kii, Mogami. Izumo, Yamato.

It is a fun game. I do not intend to settle in any set of Tiers. I spent last weekend grinding the Phoenix, and Omaha. I spent the previous weekend in my Tier VIII ships. 

So many ships....so little time.

6 minutes ago, FireAndHEspam said:

I can understand the personality of a ship part, and the comfort to play, but one thing I don’t understand about playing mid tiers is how you can live with being constantly uptiered.

Simple. I don't let it get to me. If I see a tier 7 match in a tier 5 ship, I adjust my playstyle accordingly. I play more cautiously, I play more support. If I'm top tier I'm more aggressive.

Things can only annoy you if you let them. I realize that sounds very zen and some might say cliche, but I came to understand long ago that it's just pixels, it's just a game, and if I don't allow it to get to me, it doesn't get to me. It's a life philosophy that becoming homeless and losing everything but the clothes on my back twice over has taught me. Don't sweat the petty things, life's too short and precious to get worked up over an internet pixel boat game.

I've never understood people's needs to always be top tier. In order for someone to be top tier, someone else has to be bottom tier. Besides, people tend to underestimate low tier ships. They don't expect bottom tier ships to bite back, they just expect bottom tier ships to fall over and die. Not me. Nothing better than taking 25k off of a Bismarck with one salvo from an Arizona, while his return salvo only does 5k to me.

T10, altho I have no good reason for doing so.

I am grinding T7 and T8 to get into minotaur, Moskva and hindy. I don't have any clue why i'm doing that either.