You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ArnoldSchoenberg

Shiratsuyu vs Kagero vs Yugumo

17 comments in this topic

Supertester
2,179 posts
9,480 battles
7 minutes ago, USSRichardNixon said:

Now I have unlocked shima and I have a free 16 pt captain which can go to either of these three.

These three play very similarly. I am mainly debating between Yugumo and Shiratsuyu.

There’s really no set in stone answer for that. Just down to personal preference in the end, but if you want my two cents I would recommend Yugumo.

[WAIFU]
[WAIFU]
Members
409 posts
10,281 battles

I say go with the Yugumo has more freedom in what type of playstyle you want to go with

[ANZAC]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
393 posts
11,098 battles

I elected for a Shima and a Kagero (RIP tier 8 Fubuki).  Both have pretty advanced captains but at tier 8 your stealth build and MM window gives a chance for better opportunities than Yugumo in my opinion.  That and pre-shuffle Fubuki was my favorite smol boat and I got used to the tiers involved.  Miss my triple launchers terribly. :fish_panic:

I have no Shiratsuyu experience so I can't speak for how she plays.

Members
1,326 posts
95 battles

I'd go with Shiratsuyu just for fun. MM is better, more often being top tier is great. Little or no radar if you're top tier and even in T8 matches, great concealment and somewhat decent guns. I'm actually thinking of getting some more Shiratsuyu play... once I finish the Yamamoto campaign :Smile_teethhappy:

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles

Of the ones listed, I'd say Yuugumo, but outside that... if you didn't keep her while grinding through her (lewd), I'd go back and get Akatsuki.  There isn't a more elephant lady in the entire IJN DD line and she's the closest analog to Shimakaze's play style without the T10 expenses and she has one of the best MM tiers in the game.  

Literally my favorite DD in the game right now! :)

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
11,286 posts
9,273 battles

Yugumo is my favourite of the IJN destroyers so far.  Stealthy, good guns, good torps.  What's not to love?

• Cool 1

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
4 hours ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

Yugumo is my favourite of the IJN destroyers so far.  Stealthy, good guns, good torps.  What's not to love?

Good guns on an IJN DD?  HOW DARE YOU SAY THAT!  What a heretic! A traitor to the IJN DD cause!

:fish_nerv:

Next thing you are going to do is say the ship has good Tor.... 

mother_of_god_by_rober_raik-d4cw2di.png

You savage you!

(in case you are curious, I agree with you, but I've been labeled a heretic by "real" IJN DD players so your mileage may vary)

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
1 minute ago, m373x said:

Akatsuki.

Is life!

WG needs to give us a Hibiki Premium that you can put an IJN Captain in and get her in her 1945 configuration or a VMF captain in and get her in her 1948 configuration with VMF guns and torpedoes!  Multi nation trainer!!!!!!!

Plus, she's one of the few IJN DD's that survived the war and the only of the four Akatsuki sisters to survive! :(

Members
3,879 posts
21,215 battles
4 minutes ago, UrPeaceKeeper said:

Is life!

WG needs to give us a Hibiki Premium that you can put an IJN Captain in and get her in her 1945 configuration or a VMF captain in and get her in her 1948 configuration with VMF guns and torpedoes!  Multi nation trainer!!!!!!!

Plus, she's one of the few IJN DD's that survived the war and the only of the four Akatsuki sisters to survive! :(

хорошо :Smile_great: Akatsuki is nice. Fast DDs are life.

[HEROS]
-Members-
1,455 posts
5,792 battles
25 minutes ago, m373x said:

хорошо :Smile_great: Akatsuki is nice. Fast DDs are life.

Absolutely and Akatsuki is all of the things that make IJN DD's fun!  She's the world's best troll ship! :D

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
8,868 battles

They are all bad. Put that captain in a Shinonome and earn some credits.

You are not going to have a really bad time breaking even playing Yugumo.

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
3,261 battles

I will insert that the kagero's 5.4 km detection makes her an absolute ninja. Not sure it outweighs the other advantages, however.

Members
1,543 posts
10,973 battles

I'm a DD main and the Kag is my main wheels in the game (since it has a cloaking device and a 16 torp spread with the TRB), altho I stopped tryna compete at high tiers lately just because my skill set isn't there (I guess....the only one responsible for my WR has to be me, right?)....the Shira drove me bonkers and the Yugumo I didn't do well with for whatever reason (top tier, same thing I guess)...same with the Shima, altho I might try again just because at least you can't be uptiered in a t10.....the Akat and the Shino are kinda "jury's out"...I've had some really great missions in the Shino, but also mostly bad ones...and even tho DDs usually don't survive, even tho it's in a limited number of tries I've never survived in my Shino. ....

[PPFV]
[PPFV]
Members
326 posts
On 11/13/2017 at 3:21 AM, Mulletproof said:

I will insert that the kagero's 5.4 km detection makes her an absolute ninja. Not sure it outweighs the other advantages, however.

I find that advantage to be... dubious... in the current meta. Sure, you're as stealthy as the Minekaze, but you're slow, so if someone radars you it's often difficult to escape. Plus, you have to realistically run TRB instead of smoke if you actually want to kill things, so an enemy gunboat DD can chase you down if they spot you, and you don't really have any way to breaking line of sight unless an island is nearby. And CVs perma-spotting you? Yeah, that'll happen too.

Back in the day, 5.4 km stealth and hard-hitting torpedoes might have been enough. But I'd honestly rather be in an Akatsuki in most scenarios.

Edited by Hermetica