Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
DeliciousFart

Let the Sky Cancer flow through you

27 comments in this topic

[FOXEH]
Members
3,412 posts
12,766 battles

Around 90 aircraft on each. That's a lot of "flow"...

Members
4,676 posts
6,811 battles

Very nice OP! You know I have read some articles by "Naval Experts" recently who are beginning to question the role of carriers today.  Calling them big targets and possibly on their way to becoming not viable or even obsolete.  I dunno. Comments anyone? 

[WOLF5]
Members
634 posts
12,545 battles

Do you guys use 'cancer' because you think it only happens to old people or something? Does it not register that many of us have lost relatives and loved ones to cancer? 

My cousin was 16 when he died of cancer, and I've lost many more people in my family to it.

In a Dev meeting, one of the people reading back comments was reprimanded for using 'cancer' in reference to the game as someone's spouse was currently undergoing treatment for it.

Cancer isn't some backwater disease that only angry puppies get...it's a disease that affects people across this country and from all walks of life and all age brackets.

I'm really tired of people using the term 'cancer' to refer to a game mechanic.

Edited by RevTKS
  • Cool 6

[SF-A]
Members
2,946 posts
5,873 battles
27 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

Do you guys use 'cancer' because you think it only happens to old people or something? Does it not register that many of us have lost relatives and loved ones to cancer? 

My cousin was 16 when he died of cancer, and I've lost many more people in my family to it.

In a Dev meeting, one of the people reading back comments was reprimanded for using 'cancer' in reference to the game as someone's spouse was currently undergoing treatment for it.

Cancer isn't some backwater disease that only angry puppies get...it's a disease that affects people across this country and from all walks of life and all age brackets.

Grow up. I know people who have cancer, and without exception each one decides to just be tough. None of them are gonna complain about some guy on the internet. Not to mention that the word's use to signify something that sucks is pretty damn accurate.

Edited by pewpewpew42
  • Cool 7

Members
341 posts
1,931 battles
33 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

People don't give a crap about things that haven't affected them personally.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
38 minutes ago, RevTKS said:

" If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."    -Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation, presumably referring to the internet

• Cool 3

Members
1,617 posts
5,354 battles
16 minutes ago, Greenday4537 said:

People don't give a crap about things that haven't affected them personally.

yeah, it's hard to lose a couple close family members to cancer and not be affected by it. one of the reasons I play video games is for the (sometimes) temporary escape from reality they can offer. every time I read 'cancer' in battle chat or in here, it brings it back. not one of the things I want to get calloused about, grieving is enough.

11 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

" If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid."    -Q, Star Trek: The Next Generation, presumably referring to the internet

quoting a line from a character from a sci fi TV show blasting away at someone showing signs of human emotions, in reference to a post in which the poster is calmly voicing objections to a term that can cause some needless hurt in the game is pretty much bottom feeder behavior. why don't you direct your cutthroat killer behavior towards the reds in game rather than discharging it here? there are real people at the keyboards, not TV show characters reading lines writers came up with.

Edited by not_acceptable

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
3 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

quoting a line from a character from a sci fi TV show blasting away at someone showing signs of human emotions, in reference to the OP calmly voicing objections to a term that can cause some needless hurt in the game is pretty much bottom feeder behavior. why don't you direct your cutthroat killer behavior towards the reds in game rather than discharging it here? there are real people at the keyboards, not TV show characters reading lines writers came up with.

It's the internet.  You're going to run into people who say things you don't agree with.  Things that offend you.  Things that bring up bad memories.  The point I'm making is that rather than expecting the literally billions of people using the internet to cater to your sensibilities, it may be more constructive to thicken your skin, suck it up, and keep on rolling.  Being offended is a choice.

• Cool 3

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
16,846 posts
15,336 battles
1 hour ago, Khafni said:

Around 90 aircraft on each. That's a lot of "flow"...

People also for some reason ignore all the other warships in a CV battle group.  Like, as if they had no weapons at all :Smile_Default:

[WOLF4]
Members
173 posts
1,281 battles

Wow more PC crap seriously I think I have had my fill of it. Oo don't say that you might offend someone.. Jesus when did people become such pansies I mean seriously this is America start acting like it. Tough as nails and hard work and sacrifice  that's what made us the great country that we are.

O and don't try to say I can't relate I've probably suffered through more then most but not half as much as some. Life is life it's short and bitter sweet, you can waist your time here being offended but I wouldn't recommend it.

"Life's a garden, Dig it. " Joe Dirt 

joe_dirt_baby.jpg

• Cool 2

Members
1,617 posts
5,354 battles
21 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:

It's the internet.  You're going to run into people who say things you don't agree with.  Things that offend you.  Things that bring up bad memories.  The point I'm making is that rather than expecting the literally billions of people using the internet to cater to your sensibilities, it may be more constructive to thicken your skin, suck it up, and keep on rolling.  Being offended is a choice.

F F S. I'm 64, the oldest remaining alive in the extended family, I've had friends and a cousin die in Vietnam, in person, in motorcycle accidents, my mother, father, brother, grandparents, one child, (it's a long, long list, i'll spare you the boredom) die in my presence, sometimes in physical contact, and for the most part have dealt with the funerals, executor of the will, etc, etc, and in  a few occasions had to clean up both the physical and financial mess afterward. you suggesting to thicken my skin, suck it up, and keep on rolling is one of the most wildly inappropriate, non-applicable things I've read in a while.

even so, I am not offended, as you and I doubtlessly come from completely different places. if you had experienced the number of deaths of close friends and relatives I have, you would not feel the way you do unless you are completely heartless. there's obviously a huge chunk of empathy you do not possess, and I don't wish the sort of experiences I've had to happen you to, or someone in your life to help generate the capacity for it. you're way wrong, and would be best if you stepped back a bit from this. truly I hope karma, mother nature, whatever you believe in (or will believe in) does not bite you hard on this.

W T F  now a quote from joe dirt? a moron movie?  tough, yes, but are you saying we don't bury our dead, grieving is for wimps, and we just press on like they were never there? oh, if I refer to cancer and your mom just died, that's your problem, not my lack of compassion, manners and empathy?

if you are trying to look tough, your failing miserably. you're coming across as having no class, and never having loved.

Edited by not_acceptable
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
5,347 posts
2,542 battles
1 hour ago, RevTKS said:

I'm sorry to hear that, but I am almost entirely certain that the usage of "cancer" in this situation had no malicious intent whatsoever.

• Cool 1

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
11 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

F F S. I'm 64, the oldest remaining alive in the extended family, I've had friends and a cousin die in Vietnam, in person, in motorcycle accidents, my mother, father, brother, grandparents, one child, (it's a long, long list, i'll spare you the boredom) die in my presence, sometimes in physical contact, and for the most part have dealt with the funerals, executor of the will, etc, etc, and in  a few occasions had to clean up both the physical and financial mess afterward. you suggesting to thicken my skin, suck it up, and keep on rolling is one of the most wildly inappropriate, non-applicable things I've read in a while.

even so, I am not offended, as you and I doubtlessly come from completely different places. if you had experienced the number of deaths of close friends and relatives I have, you would not feel the way you do unless you are completely heartless. there's obviously a huge chunk of empathy you do not possess, and I don't wish the sort of experiences I've had to happen you to, or someone in your life to help generate the capacity for it. you're way wrong, and would be best if you stepped back a bit from this. truly I hope karma, mother nature, whatever you believe in (or will believe in) does not bite you hard on this.

Spoiler

20110722.gif

• Cool 1

Members
1,617 posts
5,354 battles
2 minutes ago, DerKrampus said:
  Reveal hidden contents

20110722.gif

i'm not unhappy, and it's not a pissing contest. someone posted that when they read 'cancer' in a thread, or possibly in battle chat, it twangs some feelings. me too.

guys, this forum is not in-game. go show off how brutal and callous you are in game, it won't make you appear nearly as stupid there.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
3 minutes ago, not_acceptable said:

i'm not unhappy, and it's not a pissing contest. someone posted that when they read 'cancer' in a thread, or possibly in battle chat, it twangs some feelings. me too.

guys, this forum is not in-game. go show off how brutal and callous you are in game, it won't make you appear nearly as stupid there.

It twangs your feelings.  That's fine.  We all feel, for different reasons.  The difference is in how we choose to react (or as is the case here, over-react) to it.  

Frankly, the usage here isn't even an improper usage of the word.  The dictionary's #2 definition for "cancer" is "any evil condition or thing that spreads destructively; blight."
People might refer to crime that is plaguing a city as "a cancer."  In the context of the game, it's a reference to the bad ol' days, in which carriers were an unapologetically overpowered, game-ruining scourge.  Hence, "sky cancer."  The term's not going anywhere any time soon.  All that can be done is to either get used to it until it no longer hurts you, or to remove yourself from the environment in which you encounter it. 

I recommend Bob Ross, personally.  He's literally the least-offensive person to ever walk this earth.  (Though some satanist somewhere is likely offended that he refers to his brush cleaning method as "beating the devil out of it."

If anything, it's not so much callousness as a recognition that cancer is one of the worst things imaginable.  It's literally become synonymous with anything and everything suitably awful.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/cancer

Hell, I'm a cancer astrological sign.  How do you think I feel?  xD

• Cool 2

[BBICT]
Members
3,497 posts
3,713 battles
1 hour ago, dmckay said:

Very nice OP! You know I have read some articles by "Naval Experts" recently who are beginning to question the role of carriers today.  Calling them big targets and possibly on their way to becoming not viable or even obsolete.  I dunno. Comments anyone? 

Well...trying to get back on topic... The fact is, they are a pretty big target, and everybody has an idea on how to knock the king off the mountain....but obsolete? Gonna be awhile for that happens I think. 

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
1 minute ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Well...trying to get back on topic... The fact is, they are a pretty big target, and everybody has an idea on how to knock the king off the mountain....but obsolete? Gonna be awhile for that happens I think. 

I agree.  Particularly since a carrier possesses unparalleled ability to project its firepower inland.  The US and other Nato member states are fortunate to have a plethora of usable airbases in nearly every conceivable theater, but there is very real utility in being able to launch aircraft from any point of one's choosing, upon any navigable body of water in the world.

[SF-A]
Members
2,946 posts
5,873 battles
4 minutes ago, Mezurashi said:

This topic has derailed from it's original intent it seems. 

2 minutes ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Back to the topic we go! I think it's a huge contrast between videos like that and pics like this:

Spoiler

Image result for fleet at iwo jima

Now that's a fleet. Kinda wish we had a navy that size again, but given that it's not war-time and Americans as a whole don't want to foot the bill for the existing size I don't see it happening.

I just really hope there are a bunch of subs we can't see in there too, it seems rather small for the assets hanging around.

[-VT3-]
Members
1,676 posts
3,532 battles
3 minutes ago, pewpewpew42 said:

Back to the topic we go! I think it's a huge contrast between videos like that and pics like this:

Hide contents

Image result for fleet at iwo jima

Now that's a fleet. Kinda wish we had a navy that size again, but given that it's not war-time and Americans as a whole don't want to foot the bill for the existing size I don't see it happening.

I just really hope there are a bunch of subs we can't see in there too, it seems rather small for the assets hanging around.

The fleet is actually one giant meat shield to keep that Omaha in the middle from getting citadelled.  xD

[BBICT]
Members
3,497 posts
3,713 battles

Things like this little monster are the wave of the future:

nJJqwmK.png

But that could be an advantage, as far as a CV sized for drones. It could be made A LOT smaller, and thus stealthy. Then you can have salty video game players control your expendable drones, while the Navy guys steer the ship and drink coffee... :cap_tea: (I kid...)

Edited by Sir_Davos_Seaworth

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles
2 hours ago, RevTKS said:

I'm really tired of whiney little brats thinking that they have the right to dictate what is and isn't appropriate.

You are a cancer on the [edited] of society.

Edited by Grizley

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
5,945 posts
9,809 battles
2 hours ago, dmckay said:

I would say that carriers as front-line weapons system are indeed becoming, if not already obsolete. Just like the battleship, they are becoming too expensive to build and maintain and have an increasingly limited ability to cause damage to the enemy.

Like pre-dreadnoughts, obsolete does not mean useless. We see their usefulness in the Middle East as bomb trucks against enemies whose air defense systems consists of 20 year old MANPADS. They are useful at projecting power against weaker opponents.

Things that are and will limit the role of CVs in the future against a first-rate military.

1. Nuclear weapons. CVs had lots of interest around the world by just about everyone before WW2. After WW2, the focus shifted towards gaining nuclear capability. After than, countries focused on gaining nuclear second strike capability. (Sometimes known as ""retaliation after ride-out") The US continued with carriers because they were incredibly useful in the proxy wars that the country found itself involved in. Other nations didn't need carriers for their proxy wars.

2. Cruise missiles. WWII Kamikazes gave the world a taste of what was to come. With today's cruise missiles, it is a simple matter of who runs out of ammunition first, the people launching the missiles, or the people shooting them down? Today's navy is based around a few large ships, as opposed to the past where you tended to find many more smaller ships. Cruise missiles are on their way to be mass produced like cars.

3. Increased range of counters. Coastal artillery countered ship-based artillery bombardment. Aircraft countered coastal artillery batteries by out-ranging them. Today, cruise missiles are beginning to out-range carrier aircraft. Even shorter range missiles have this effect, by forcing carriers further and further off shore, decreasing the range carrier aircraft can strike inland as well as increasing wear and tear on both pilots and aircraft. It is only a matter of time before carrier aircraft no longer have the range to reach the shores they are supposed to attack.

4. Increasing disparity between land-based and carrier based aircraft. Assuming equal skill and air-wing resources, carrier aircraft tend to get their clocks cleaned by land-based aircraft.

5. AIP submarines. Stealthier than a nuke boat at the price of a diesel-electric boat. Pretty much undetectable if they don't want to be when in continental shelf waters and on-par with nuke boats in deep ocean waters.Only downside is that they don't have the brute range of a nuke boat, which most navies are willing to accept.

6. Anti-ship ballistic missiles. IF this tech pans out, combined with cruise missile tech, it's pretty much the end of big-ship navies. The trend will be towards a larger number of smaller ships.

The current trend developing in air forces around the world is in small turboprop ground support aircraft that are cheap to buy and maintain,  modern take of the Polikarpov Po-2 concept.

Sign in to follow this