You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

French BB psych up thread

147 comments in this topic

[5D2] Beornotns 133
643 posts
2,805 battles

So, what are these "missions" and how do we acquire them?

~B

[E-E] HazeGrayUnderway 2,728
10,864 posts
9,992 battles
2 hours ago, Beornotns said:

So, what are these "missions" and how do we acquire them?

~B

Check the news page spot for it.

====

Another Tier IX Alsace WiP video, this time by Flamu.

Off & On guns, inconsistency is something he gripes about repeatedly with the ship.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[BBICT] Sir_Davos_Seaworth 650
2,519 posts
2,571 battles

I really don't see myself buying any of the Crates just to get a mission...sorry. 

Anybody bought any? 

10,864 posts
9,992 battles
6 hours ago, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

I really don't see myself buying any of the Crates just to get a mission...sorry. 

Anybody bought any? 

I got 1 to start the collection but no way to more.  I got around 382k FreeXPs even after buying Musashi, and it's still climbing.  Then again, I could just work it up as normal.

401.9k FreeXPs now :Smile_teethhappy:

--

Edit:  Got the Bretagne mission from one of my French Container x3 rewards today, did some matches and got her.  A very, very meh Battleship for Tier V.

Paper New York Armor

Sh*t Standard USN BB 21kt speed

Very close to Konig Secondaries

Sh*t AA

New York 60 second turret traverse

Definitely does not change my mind about how awful all Tier V BBs are, except for broken a.f. Caesar.  But for as bad as she is, at least she is better than that POS New York.

10,864 posts
9,992 battles

I was very fortunate to get the missions from the x3 boxes.  Normandie, Lyon were gained today.  Very quick, very early impressions:

===

Normandie is a$$.

Worse protection than the already flimsy Tier V Bretagne, which is an amazing feat.  Turrets get knocked out easily.  Guns are wonky, lack power.  AA is the equivalent of posting a sailor at the bow and stern with a pistol to try and shoot bombers down.

Edit:  There is one thing Normandie is good at, it's her handling.  She's super fast, a Tier VI BB with 29.5kts is crazy.  She however has good maneuvering to go with it.  With SGM2 installed:

Normandie:  640m turning circle radius, 10.8 second rudder shift (29.5kt speed)

QE:  680m, 11.5 seconds (23.5kt speed)

Warspite 550m, 11.3 seconds (23.5kt speed)

Dunkeke:  730m, 11.2 seconds (29.5kt speed)

NM:  640m, 10.8 seconds (21kt speed)

AZ:  640m, 11.7 seconds (21kt speed)

Mutsu:  770m, 11.0 seconds (26.5kt speed)

Fuso:  740m, 12.0 seconds (24.5kt speed)

Bayern:  630m, 11.1 seconds (25kt speed)

If maneuvers well like NM, but not as well as Warspite.  But she has the best blend of speed and maneuverability of all the Tier VI BBs.  Everything else about the ship is just "bleh."

===

Lyon?  After having a sour experience so far with Bretagne, Normandie, I was ready to be disappointed with Lyon.

- Speed is 25kts, avg for the tier, you lose Normandie's FastBB speed.

- Continuing the tradition started from my Bretagne experience, your armor is mediocre.  I was very cautious to protect my citadel and wondering if it was worth the risk to show all turrets to fire.  This is how much side you have to show for all guns to be able to fire on a target:

Spoiler

XDr8RM2.jpg

Very risky if people are watching you, waiting.

AA - I did an AA Build.

Skills:  BFT+AFT, AAGM2 module installed, no ASM1 for the main battery.

130mm AA:  59 DPS, 7.5km

130mm AA:  41 DPS, 7.5km

40mm AA:  76 DPS, 5.1km

40mm AA:  146 DPS, 5.1km

20mm AA:  59 DPS, 2.9km

20mm AA:  69 DPS, 2.9km

With such a build, the main battery dispersion is 246m at 18.6km.  It's decent considering that isn't with ASM1.  Consider that you have 16 guns.  With my AA Build on Lyon I was getting salvos that look like these:

Fubuki @ 14km

Spoiler

kjf2WjF.jpg

d25HZxe.jpg

If RNG says Lyon's salvo is "On" then SHE IS ON.  The beautiful part is that again, this is without ASM1.  You have 16 guns to shoot at a DD.  Compare that to 8 from Colorado, Nagato, 6 from Gneisenau, 9 from Nelson.

Monarch @ 16km

Spoiler

iqO1SKl.jpg

Not all salvos are big, multi-hit ones, but with proper aim you'll be rewarded eventually.  Lyon is like Fuso.  You throw enough s--t down range and something's going to stick if your aim is at least decent.

Side Note:  Best AA BB at Tier VII?

Spoiler

The candidates are really Hood, Duke of York, Gneisenau, Lyon, Colorado.

Hood at her heart has terrible AA DPS.  With AFT and AAGM2 it reaches out to a max of 7.2km, but her DPS is poor at all ranges.  However, she accesses Defensive Fire, but it only buffs the AA Rockets.  Those rockets with AFT & AAGM2 reach out to only 2.2km.  It's great for defending herself but Hood is very poor in protecting others.  Otherwise she's fast and decent enough in protection.

Duke of York has a solid AA suite, far better all around than Hood despite not having DF.  If you ignore everything else, all the drama about DOY, she is a decent AA BB for the tier.  However, the best of her AA starts at 3.9km, which is far too late.  On top of that, her max AA range is only 6.5km.  She's good in defending herself, but poor in protecting others.

Colorado's AA is still quite fierce despite the presence of these newer VII BBs with good AA.  Like Lyon, she has great medium range AA DPS.  Unlike Lyon and most other of these VII AA BBs, the closer you get to CO, the more dangerous she gets.  However, CO is very slow and cannot keep up with teammates to provide that AA.  On top of that, her max AA range is only 6km, even with a Full AA Build.  CO can protect herself very well like Hood, and like Hood, she's poor in protecting other ships with that lackluster long range AA performance.  If CO could sail faster, then she could throw around her AA better and overcome that poor max range.

Gneisenau?  Actually poor to mediocre short and medium range AA DPS.  However, where an AA Build Gneisenau shines is her long range AA, which is at 164 DPS at 7.5km.  Her AA is basically an Atlanta's AA, but with +0.3km extra range and no Defensive Fire.  If you are truly insane, you could tack on Manual AA trait and make her a "No Fly Zone."  She swats even Tier IX planes.  Consider also that an AA Gneisenau is super fast sailing, has torps, and is a sturdy ship.  She can keep pace easily with the team and be the AA for anything within 7.5km of her.  I've had her positioned so that DDs were protected by her AA.  I've had DDs come rushing to me when fighters are on them or bombers are coming for them, because I tell them what my max AA range is as well as it being effective.  Of course, going AA build on her does 2 major things because she uses AAGM2 in such a build:

1.  No ASM1 to tighten up the main battery dispersion.  Gneisenau's guns are notoriously unreliable with range.

2.  No SBM2, so you are not having the 8km secondaries with the proper secondaries build.

Lyon in an AA setup emphasizes long range and medium range DPS.  I'm curious to see how it works with Manual AA trait because she has 2 sets of guns that will benefit from it.  What about the ship this AA is mounted on?  You got a flimsy looking ship, unlike Gneisenau.  But this AA BB has 16 d*mn guns.

IMO, the Best All Around AA BB at Tier VII is Lyon.  Hood, Duke of Yorck, Colorado are poor candidates because of AA range issues.  That leaves Gneisenau & Lyon.  Gneisenau is faster, far sturdier, has torps.  But her main battery is so bad, and in an AA Build, her secondaries are a pale shadow compared to a proper secondaries build.  Lyon's not as fast but passable in speed.  She's squishier, too.  But 16 guns with passable accuracy and throwing a ton of s--t down range to get hits, it makes her a better BB while still sporting an AA Build.  She's got good all around AA backing all that up.

Had a match just now, the Kaga player couldn't even touch my Lyon after multiple attack run attempts on me.

Spoiler

zPEF1XT.jpg

6gSgMpo.jpg

wXg3xTM.jpg

Not a single bomb or torpedo hit me.  I had to do most of the match on a fighting retreat after most of our ships out East died.  I had to retreat, mindful of air attack but still shooting to support our Gadja Madah at Cap B, shoot at a pursuing Akatsuki, and worry about if I'm showing too much sides to a Lyon & Scharnhorst that I was not able to see that were around pushing out of Cap C where I was fleeing from.

IMO the first good ship in the line is indeed Lyon.

What I really like about Lyon is I can adopt my AA Build like Gneisenau, be as dangerous in the AA role as Gneisenau, but unlike Gneisenau, my main battery is actually really good.  As a Tier VII, she plays in the heart of the most played CVs in the game, Tier V-VIII.  You do have far superior AA BBs like Iowa, Montana, Missouri, but they play in a part of the game where CVs, though quite strong, are not played as much.  Tier VII BBs see the likes of Shokaku, Kaga, Saipan, Enterprise on a more frequent basis than Monty sees CVs like Taiho, Hakuryu, Midway.  Those are DANGEROUS CVs they face in those high tiers, but they are also among the least played ships in the game.

[TF-40] jdlobo 13
82 posts
3,679 battles

Bought a five-pack of containers for 13.50. Got Bretagne and Lyon. Stopped buying :)  As Haze says for Normandie, Bretagne brings nothing new to the table and doesn't have the speed. Lyon...there's something about launching two Dunq's worth of park benches downrange. One of them is going to hit. One caveat: If you get too close, you will be focused and your survivability in a multi v 1 is not good. Lyon can't really bow tank and you don't get concealment so 13-ish is the best you can do. Sixteen downrange though...

Edited by jdlobo

10,864 posts
9,992 battles
4 minutes ago, jdlobo said:

Bought a five-pack of containers for 13.50. Got Bretagne and Lyon. Stopped buying :)  As Haze says for Normandie, Bretagne brings nothing new to the table and doesn't have the speed. Lyon...there's something about launching two Dunq's worth of park benches downrange. One of them is going to hit. One caveat: If you get too close, you will be focused and your survivability in a multi v 1 is not good. Lyon can't really bow tank and you don't get concealment so 13-ish is the best you can do. Sixteen downrange though...

One of my mistakes with Normandie was experimenting with a brawl.  Yeah.  Nah.  I won't do that again.  She has the speed of 29.5kts, use it for maintaining proper distance despite the off-on nature of the guns.  I used the 29.5kts to close range on someone to test how she holds up in that kind of rushing tactic.  It was a failure.  I can do it with Roma despite her having a very vulnerable citadel, but Normandie is clumsy.

For Lyon, I treat her as a fighter using jabs to keep the others away.  So far with Tier V-VII, brawling is not the name of the game with these ships, despite having some good secondaries range.

• Cool 1

10,864 posts
9,992 battles

Another match to show what Lyon's guns are capable of even without ASM1.  Again, I'm using an AA Build, so nothing to tighten up Lyon's main battery dispersion.  You have no catapult fighters / spotter planes, your range isn't all that.  You have no hydro, no radar.  Your armor is mediocre.  Your not even that fast, just average speed and handling.  But d@mnit, you have 16 guns, 16 dice rolls to try to solve all your problems.  If your aim is good, Lyon will reward you.

Killed a Schors at range, check that minimap to see where she died and how far back I was.

OGQiFck.jpg

This poor Kongo had been pursued by our group for a while, she was part of the small east group of the enemy team.  If Kongo did not have that super fast speed she'd have been overrun by my shelling and the Cruisers.

This picture just shows the grouping of my 16 shells flying to Kongo.

ZF1vC8B.jpg

The result is 6 hits.

15WNRJg.jpg

Against BB threats, you'll need tons and tons of hits to do real damage, unless you catch them by the sides.  Against Cruisers, it's very deadly.  Against DDs, you can get a lot of hits.  Like my other BBs, I use AP on DDs and if Lyon gets 3, 4, 5, 6 AP hits, it's devastating to a DD.  Devastating.  Of the Tier VII BBs in the game right now, Lyon's mass of 16 guns is by far the deadliest to DDs.  Notser commented on that in his video for Lyon and the danger she presents to DDs is very real.

Reward Screens for the match those screenshots came from.

Spoiler

EZFBN9k.jpg

wZ4p2yx.jpg

2,519 posts
2,571 battles

Nice games! I really think she might be one of the high points in the game....as long as you can deal with her quirks... 

[HINON] Jnobsir 328
1,356 posts
12,636 battles

5DV1QIg.gif

Managed to snag both Bretange and Normandie from the missions.

Spoiler

I7VSJze.png

4q8lYdu.png

• Cool 1

10,864 posts
9,992 battles
4 hours ago, Jnobsir said:

5DV1QIg.gif

Managed to snag both Bretange and Normandie from the missions.

Reveal hidden contents

I7VSJze.png

4q8lYdu.png

Just remember that Bretagne is flimsier than a New York.  Then remember on top of that, Normandie is squishier than Bretagne.  Go and check the armor viewer between those 3 ships if you don't believe me :Smile_teethhappy: You better make use of the 29.5kt speed advantage of Normandie and keep the fight at comfortable, safer ranges or get rekt.

10,864 posts
9,992 battles

My first loss with Lyon, another CV match, no CV has been able to touch my BB.  This was important because our own CV was retarded and got sniped like a fool by the Kaga early on.  Kaga had free reign to do whatever the hell she wanted, except for the ships I was sailing with.  The moment the group splintered into 3 directions leaving my AA protection, Kaga picked them all off, even our clearly Non-AA spec Richelieu.

hns47Di.jpg

6Escf4y.jpg

0bfbP2v.jpg

Even our Clevelands, other Cruisers didn't use Defensive Fire, or didn't have AA capability, maybe not even know they had DF.  I was the ONLY source of AA for my team.  No CV has yet to hit me with torps, bombs.

[MESH] dgr_874 43
57 posts
2,308 battles
On ‎2‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:45 AM, Sir_Davos_Seaworth said:

Noooo oneeee reloads like Gaston! (28 seconds now) No one has camo like Gaston...

aziwAnm.jpg

How do you get this cammo?

2,519 posts
2,571 battles
2 hours ago, dgr_874 said:

How do you get this cammo?

Not sure yet...we will see I guess...

2 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Imagine when you ram someone with Gascone's... c*ck.

You naughty boy....how could you think such a thing.... (not that I didn't think the same thing) 

Sventex 1,055
4,393 posts
4,817 battles

This """"camo"""" is hideous.

8017f9f0-118c-11e8-a17a-d89d6715223c_120

Why can't we get the historical Measure 32 camo for Richelieu instead?

DwW4ZVF.jpg

Edited by Sventex

2,519 posts
2,571 battles

Well, yeah, its waaay over the top...but after seeing the Roma's beer can hat it isn't that bad... :Smile_teethhappy:

[AKN] admiral_noone 10
208 posts
1,232 battles

Dunkerque getting Richelieu’s camo? Hurrrrr.

Anyway, can WG QoL buff Dunkerque (EITHER slightly faster reload, 1.8 sigma, shorter fuse, or 27mm plating) to keep up with the powercreep?

Edited by admiral_noone

2,289 posts
6,176 battles
5 hours ago, Sventex said:

This """"camo"""" is hideous.

8017f9f0-118c-11e8-a17a-d89d6715223c_120

Well Sventex at first, I liked the new camo, until I saw that picture, did not realize that it was on more than just bow, nope do not want it! What a eyesore!

I got the Bretagne with a 3pt Captain, yesterday from standard event's chests just before work, what a strange ugly pug nose BB she is. Slow, my goodness she is slow at 19knts, so slow I think it needs sails rigged to it, but for reason I do not understand I like her so far. I even took her into one of my rare Random games, and I was not the star of the game I did at least gets some hits in, and stayed the center of attention of an RNCL so the Atlanta, I was following could take it down.

So I plan on keeping her, and working her Captain up, not sure of the build for him yet any suggestions, anyone?

Overall Results

Battles 1
Victories 1 (100%)
Battles survived 1
Damage caused 18,391
Warships destroyed 0
Aircraft destroyed 0

Average Score per Battle

Experience 1,028.00
Damage caused 18,391.00
Warships destroyed 0.00
Aircraft destroyed 0.00
Main battery hit ratio 20%

Highest Score

Experience 1,028
Damage caused 18,391
Warships destroyed 0
Aircraft destroyed 0

Edited by Chaos_EN2

10,864 posts
9,992 battles
8 hours ago, Sventex said:

DwW4ZVF.jpg

I wonder why they used blue for the in-game perma camo for her?  The pattern they have is historical, but the blue, I dunno.