You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sir_Davos_Seaworth

French BB psych up thread

194 comments in this topic

[BBICT]
Members
3,586 posts
3,720 battles

Jumped into the Dunk for the first game of the night...my wife texted me, and said she was 10 min out with a van load of groceries...time for Le Banzai!!!

Personal best as far as damage, and a near Kraken. 

1lDonKA.jpg

Can I have the Richelieu yet? Please? 

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles

Me want Richy as well. Give Richy! :Smile_izmena:

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
3,212 posts
13,140 battles

La spécialité Française : 2 tourelles de 4 canon a l'avant, que des secondaires a l'arrière. Oh, quoi que la pluie de HE sera fort .

• Cool 1

Members
644 posts
4,069 battles

Normandie needs a speed nerf.

They're trying to give the French line the speed boost that destroyers and French cruisers long enjoyed.

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,741 posts
2,129 battles
2 hours ago, BrentD15 said:

Normandie needs a speed nerf.

They're trying to give the French line the speed boost that destroyers and French cruisers long enjoyed.

As of now, only Richy has the boost...

but yeah, the speeds on the French BBs is just absurd. What cost the Italians entire turrets to accomplish the French can do with a massive friggin quad turret still stick in the middle of the ship, where the magazine cuts the engine compartment right in half.

I could understand them saying that improved bow coupled with a conversion to all oil could raise the speed to 23-24 knots... but 29.5 knots? They literally arbitrarily jumped the shp from 45,000 (planned, for 22 knots) up to 107,000 on the stock propulsion, which then magically rockets up to 112,000 hp.

At this point the 35-40 knot Cassone is less of a pipe dream than some of the things WG is making the French BBs capable of - and they really, really didn't need to do it.

Richelieu is going to get a very bad reputation, and fast, as people move from Lyon to Richelieu and experience a very, very radical shift in play style, not to mention that many will just use the speed boost to get themselves killed really fast - specifically, at 41.5 knots. They go from an HE spammer with awful firing arcs and pathetic AP - but lots of guns - to a ship with half the number of guns who's focus isn't HE, but rather it's powerful AP, something that will only be out-shined - admittedly by a fair margin - by the 15" guns on Roma. It'll be a re-hash of Cleveland to Pensacola, although that's not to say Richelieu's a bad ship - it's just an awkward jump from a badly tiered, shoe-horned-in 'sloppy' ship to a ship with a significantly different playstyle that will require a much greater degree of care to not get yourself rapidly killed.

• Cool 1

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,674 battles

In other words they are going to be on the back line in a race track pattern spamming HE blaming their team for losing the game? :Smile_hiding:

[HINON]
7,741 posts
2,129 battles

Probably. They've got, despite their crappy penetration, generally good range for their tiers... so I'm sure most of them will use their good speed to stay at long range (the armor isn't very good) and HE spam... and apart from the velocity the HE isn't even that good, so they won't be great at it. Lyon's got worse penetration than Cesare, and it's using the upgraded ammo, but she's got plenty of 130mm guns (10 guns to a broadside, 12 rpm with 9% fire chance) with a 70mm turtleback (60º slope, so right on that autobounce boundary) and is *only* 27 knots... so, crappy main belt aside (waterline is 240mm, 300mm below waterline, and above the 240mm strip is 180mm), she's probably best off as a closer-ranged brawler, just because at long range she's going to be vulnerable and be unable to threateningly respond.

[BBICT]
Members
3,586 posts
3,720 battles

I just may hit the magic XP button, and just get the Richie. She is just the Dunks big mean sister, and I know all about that. I just want to run down a DD in her. (yeah, I got issues) 

[PVE]
Members
10,514 posts
19,727 battles

Oh lord not another BB HE Spam line PLEASE! I was so looking forward to the BRN BB's but have been very disappointed in them with their HE Spam playstyle. That isn't BB play I am sorry. That is Cruiser play. BRN BB's have ruined BB play as everyone now thinks you shoot HE from all BB's.

I laugh when I see USN, KM, and IJN BB players using HE all game, even when they get close. It is hilarious when they fire HE broadsides right into enemy BB's up close with little effect only to then get absolutely wrecked when the other BB returns fire with AP. Well, it is funny until they do it and it costs the game.

HE has it's place in BB play for sure but I just hate how WG made the Brit BB's HE Spammers and what it has done with people thinking that is what all BB's should fire. If the French line will be HE Spammers as well I will just skip them. 

[REVY]
Members
6,318 posts
5,168 battles
On 11/13/2017 at 9:30 AM, Phoenix_jz said:

Richelieu is going to get a very bad reputation, and fast, as people move from Lyon to Richelieu and experience a very, very radical shift in play style, not to mention that many will just use the speed boost to get themselves killed really fast - specifically, at 41.5 knots. They go from an HE spammer with awful firing arcs and pathetic AP - but lots of guns - to a ship with half the number of guns who's focus isn't HE, but rather it's powerful AP, something that will only be out-shined - admittedly by a fair margin - by the 15" guns on Roma. It'll be a re-hash of Cleveland to Pensacola, although that's not to say Richelieu's a bad ship - it's just an awkward jump from a badly tiered, shoe-horned-in 'sloppy' ship to a ship with a significantly different playstyle that will require a much greater degree of care to not get yourself rapidly killed.

I remember in the first few battles with the Dunkerque, having this strange sensation of trying to babysit the rear turrets, and becoming constantly confused when they weren't there.  I really am surprised Strasbourg isn't going to be in the line, since she was one of only 4 actual French Battleship classes ever commissioned.  That said, I do HE spam a lot with the Dunkerque, but that's mostly because of the terrible dispersion, and I'm learning that against the new RNBBs, I can't win a HE spam fight, cause I can't score enough hits.

[BBICT]
Members
3,586 posts
3,720 battles

I do not see this line being noob friendly... They are all gonna have quirks, from strange gun layouts, to engine boosts. But for those of us that like odd ducks, this could be a ton of fun. 

[HINON]
7,741 posts
2,129 battles

Tbh, this was a line I was looking forward to looking forward to. Appropriately tiered, all the WWI designs would've been pretty sun, and seeing a Strasbourg perform as intended (at lest as far as gun handling goes) would've been fantastic, and Richy would always be cool.

Atm though... meh. Between the overtiering, weird higher speeds, and the speed boost on Richelieu... my buzz for this line has just about been killed. Especially as the 340mm guns are looking to be the kind of weapons that invite HE spam

[TSAR]
Members
149 posts
5,226 battles

Wargaming should buff there penatrarion a bit to avoid people wanting to spam HE and to tone down the rediculus speed of the Normandie.

[UFFA]
Beta Testers
3,749 posts
4,674 battles
33 minutes ago, Nimitz_1701 said:

Wargaming should buff there penatrarion a bit to avoid people wanting to spam HE and to tone down the rediculus speed of the Normandie.

WG already went with the modernized rounds, afaik. Given the underwater citadels and speed the ships will be able to close in for suibroadcide.

edit: I just realized the French rebuilds obviously have more efficient machinery and hullform than Dunkerque. :cap_cool:

Edited by SparvieroVV

[HINON]
7,741 posts
2,129 battles
3 hours ago, SparvieroVV said:

edit: I just realized the French rebuilds obviously have more efficient machinery and hullform than Dunkerque. :cap_cool:

V6ZJJX5.gif

• Cool 2

Members
88 posts
6,426 battles

I see that they've chosen the tier 3, 4 and 9 (and 8 premium?) ships.

https://thedailybounce.net/

And just added the 10

https://thedailybounce.net/2017/11/27/world-of-warships-supertest-french-battleship-france-tier-x/

Edited by wontletmepickusername

[WOLF3]
Members
23,562 posts
21,117 battles

The Tier X looks very underwhelming but at least for Tier VII-IX, it looks quite good in my eyes.

It reminds me a bit of how USN BB perception was for a long time after launch.

"Working on the USN BBs?  Stop at Iowa."

The French BB Line so far looks to be like that unless Tier X France is unf-cked.

• Cool 1

[BBICT]
Members
3,586 posts
3,720 battles

Well, my 'net is sort of working now... Can't play, so I'll post here, LOL...

I think the Gascogne looks like the forbidden love child between a Dunk, and Graf Spee...   That camo tho..

atIRfng.jpg

• Cool 1