Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
The_Feets

What is the deal with T8 MM?

50 comments in this topic

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles

The MM has incredibly harsh on T8 ships lately. Maybe 1 out of 6 games will be a 7-8-9 match. The rest are all 8-9-10 arrangements. Struggling through that fight with a Bismarck is painful. I may not be the strongest BB player out there but after 26 games in the Bis I'm sitting on a 31% win rate and barely have 32,000 XP in it. My other BBs are between 50% and 62%.

The MM is just as bad in the New Orleans, Martel, Kutuzov, and Kagero. Luckily, those ships can maneuver a bit better and I flagged the NOLA heavily to earn the XP to upgrade. Tier 8 used to be a bit more challenging than the lower levels but never quite this bad. In the past I was able to enjoy the grind.

My clan mates also find the T8 MM to be heavily biased towards tier X ships and we often drop back to T7 because the spread is more enjoyable to play.

So far, the Bismarck grind is not entertaining. It's a good ship once upgraded but fighting to get there has become tedious and the fun is gone. I have to force myself to fight the ship because of the harsh game imbalance for a stock T8 ship.

This is a game. Entertainment. Fun. Well, it should be anyway. The imbalance at 8 makes me not want to play that part of the game.

• Cool 2

Members
1,352 posts
1,345 battles
1 minute ago, The_Feets said:

The MM has incredibly harsh on T8 ships lately. Maybe 1 out of 6 games will be a 7-8-9 match. The rest are all 8-9-10 arrangements. Struggling through that fight with a Bismarck is painful. I may not be the strongest BB player out there but after 26 games in the Bis I'm sitting on a 31% win rate and barely have 32,000 XP in it. My other BBs are between 50% and 62%.

The MM is just as bad in the New Orleans, Martel, Kutuzov, and Kagero. Luckily, those ships can maneuver a bit better and I flagged the NOLA heavily to earn the XP to upgrade. Tier 8 used to be a bit more challenging than the lower levels but never quite this bad. In the past I was able to enjoy the grind.

My clan mates also find the T8 MM to be heavily biased towards tier X ships and we often drop back to T7 because the spread is more enjoyable to play.

So far, the Bismarck grind is not entertaining. It's a good ship once upgraded but fighting to get there has become tedious and the fun is gone. I have to force myself to fight the ship because of the harsh game imbalance for a stock T8 ship.

This is a game. Entertainment. Fun. Well, it should be anyway. The imbalance at 8 makes me not want to play that part of the game.

I swear Kutuzov shows up everywhere to haunt me.

As a person who is currently paying Tier 8 ships, I don't find the MM as bad as it is in World Of Tanks. If your a bottom tier ship perhaps don't play as aggressively? Idk I don't have any complaints about the current MM... In fact I've been getting rather balanced games lately. 

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,116 posts
6,425 battles

The worst part of being a tier 8 BB is facing tier 10 cruisers that rip you apart by firing 3 times to your 1, all while doing 3-4k in damage every shot and the instant fire.

The sad reality is there are more T10 players than T9 players who are trying to get to tier 10. Frequently a T8 will find himself in a match facing ten+ T10's with hardly any T9's.

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
2 minutes ago, Incendiary_Tanker said:

If your a bottom tier ship perhaps don't play as aggressively?

That's been the situation lately. The cruisers can stand back a bit and long ball it out to the enemy in a really uneven game. The Kagero can get up close and personal with it's low detection but if it gets spotted it's in serious trouble.

The Bismarck? Forget it! Playing back a bit means dealing with that horrible dispersion beyond secondary range. I'm fighting hard to get the hull upgrade so I can get a bit more hp but I have no desire to grind through another 22,000 XP earning an average 1242 per game.

[O_O]
Members
5,986 posts
13,809 battles

Another "poor Tier 8" thread.  I have started tracking my results in reaction to all the complaints I have seen on these forums.  My results have been in contrast to the complaints.

Out of 41 T8 games tracked so far (small sample size is small):

• I was bottom tier in 17 of them, or 41%.  Hardly "always bottom tiered" as many posts indicate.  And...
  • Out of those 17 when I was bottom tier, I won 9, or 52%.  Not earth shattering, but not painful.  Plus...
  • Out of those 17 when I was bottom tier, win or lose, I placed 1st or 2nd on my team 5 times, or 29%.
  • Out of those 17 when I was bottom tier, win or lose, I placed in the top 5 on my team 10 times, or 58%.
  • I had one game when I was bottom tier where I forgot to record the outcome and rank. Dammit.

I am not a purple unicum.  T8 can do fine when bottom tiered.

(Ships played while tracking:  Chapayev, Mogami, Akizuki, Ognevoi, N. Carolina, Bismarck, Kutuzov, Benson, Tirpitz)  Because OP mentioned Bismarck...since keeping track I have played 8 games in Bismarck.  Only 1 was bottom tier (win, 1st place).  YMMV.

I have "poor T5", "poor T6", and "poor T7" material, as well.  :Smile_Default:

Edited by desmo_2
  • Cool 1

[IN3PT]
Members
229 posts
12,375 battles

The problem is more noticeable in weekends.  Teams are filled with t10 players that don't play often, could care less about winning, or just all of the above. It makes for some painful blowouts, and record losing streaks unless you are in a div. I have also noticed MM giving one side a 3man div, and nothing to the other. Nothing like having a unicorn div on the other team, when you are stuck w the "play for funnnsies" tier 10's....

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
1 minute ago, hipcanuck said:

The worst part of being a tier 8 BB is facing tier 10 cruisers that rip you apart by firing 3 times to your 1, all while doing 3-4k in damage every shot and the instant fire.

The last game I played in the Bis had my team running to the far left. I spawned on the far right. My indicator showed no less than 6 ships targeting me and it bumped as high as 8. I managed a whopping 11 hits with mains and 18 secondary for a total of 39,000 dmg. Taking 28,000 in fires and 7700 in flooding did me in. That's a tough hill to climb in a Bis with nothing more than an engine upgrade. Granted, that one was largely a factor of getting outrun by my team and left to die but that doesn't make the match up any better.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,784 posts
16,760 battles

Easy way to guarantee a T8 max match: Play a T7 or a T6.

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
6 minutes ago, desmo_2 said:

Another "poor Tier 8" thread. 

Poor T8 BB thread. It seems your luck in the Bis is better than mine. Drastically so.

I don't worry too much about being uptiered in a DD. The cruisers have a harder time with it but it's doable. Although I must say that my Kutuzov has developed a distinct allergy to Montanas. They have the uncanny knack of deleting my ship with disturbing regularity. Still, cruisers are tolerable when stock but not easy.

It's the BBs that really suffer.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,765 posts
8,967 battles

Nah, T8 is fine. Most of T8 ships are more than capable of facing T10s. 

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
5 minutes ago, Xlap said:

Nah, T8 is fine. Most of T8 ships are more than capable of facing T10s. 

A stock Bis is NOT up to the task of facing Yamato and Montana class ships.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,116 posts
6,425 battles
7 minutes ago, The_Feets said:

Poor T8 BB thread. It seems your luck in the Bis is better than mine. Drastically so.

I don't worry too much about being uptiered in a DD. The cruisers have a harder time with it but it's doable. Although I must say that my Kutuzov has developed a distinct allergy to Montanas. They have the uncanny knack of deleting my ship with disturbing regularity. Still, cruisers are tolerable when stock but not easy.

It's the BBs that really suffer.

I find that Im quite fine facing a T10 BB in my Tirpitz or when I was in my NC and Amagi. It does require some patience however, I frequently dont move for the first 15 seconds or longer until I determine which direction is best for the ship Im in and size up the ships I will be accompanying.

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,116 posts
6,425 battles
2 minutes ago, The_Feets said:

Dont, you cannot fight them alone.  Although you can mess them both up if you see their broadside, especially if you catch them on an inside turn with their belt out of the water.

The problem with the Bismarck class is that they are fast enough to outrun most other BBs on your team so you are often at the lead of a push, even if your arent trying to be.  You cannot outrun the Iowas but they play differently so they arent likely to be moving at 30 knots all the time.  As the Germans have such a distinct play style you are best to hang with a GK or the fat Freddy, find the push and go with it.

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
7 minutes ago, hipcanuck said:

I find that Im quite fine facing a T10 BB in my Tirpitz or when I was in my NC and Amagi. It does require some patience however, I frequently dont move for the first 15 seconds or longer until I determine which direction is best for the ship Im in and size up the ships I will be accompanying.

But when was the last time you tried grinding a stock Bis? Forget your premium Tirpitz.

[WOLFG]
Members
26,774 posts
6,791 battles
20 minutes ago, The_Feets said:

A stock Bis isn't up to facing an upgraded NC or Amagi either.....

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,765 posts
8,967 battles
23 minutes ago, The_Feets said:

Bismarck is fine. T8 BBs are some of the best ships in game. You can bounce or bow tank Yamatos and Montanas. 

Yes some stock grinds can be hard, but this goes to all ships in game, no matter the tier. A good thing is leave your free XP to get modules.

Edited by Xlap

[NATO]
Beta Testers
2,116 posts
6,425 battles
8 minutes ago, The_Feets said:

But when was the last time you tried grinding a stock Bis? Forget your premium Tirpitz.

The Tirpitz is better than a stock Bis, its also slightly worse than a fully upgraded Bis. You should have no problems with the Bismarck, I have worse stats in the Tirpitz than I have in my Bismarck. I can still average 60k a game in either ship, stock has nothing to do with it unless you cannot afford the upgrade modules.

Upgraded hull......extra hitpoints, helpful but when you can get slammed for 12k in one shot, the extra few HP rarely matters. The extra AA can be huge however should you face a CV...unless its a T10 CV lol.

Extra range.....pointless. If you are fighting at max range....go play a US BB, you are not using Bismarck right. Wheelhouse is 9-13km range.

Extra speed.....cant argue this is handy, but it will get you into trouble just as often as it will get you out of trouble.

[WOLF3]
Members
23,745 posts
21,179 battles

What's the deal with Tier VIII MM?  Did you honestly think you were entitled to club on Tier VI ships all day and not have to pay the piper of Tier IX-X?

If you want sh*t MM, sit at Tier V-VI.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles

@Xlap Don't lie. Yamato citadels everything. Montana, maybe. But you need to be angled seriously...

Grinding for newer players is just going to stink to high heaven by this point.

Those who don't want to quit will eventually get the upgrades, but they will tank on win rates without division mates in upgraded vessels to back them up.

Forget everything you guys knew in your early battles. You are old masters sitting on top of the heap. You've done it, been there, and now your lesser fellows (the "kek-git-gud-scrub" crowd) will either wallop on newbies until they rage quit (again for the "lulz") or until the newbie drivers buck back.

But that is a long 8 seconds.

@The_Feets

You already know this.

Hint: I'm 100 battles into my Kii with 38 battles won and 43,000 average damage.

I'm where you are in the line-up. Still struggling to come out on top.

Grit your teeth, find division mates, and coattail if you have to by having another member's six, but eventually you'll get the hang of it.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
Just now, HazeGrayUnderway said:

What's the deal with Tier VIII MM?  Did you honestly think you were entitled to club on Tier VI ships all day and not have to pay the piper of Tier IX-X?

Maybe a few times? Even that's not a guarantee with experienced drivers in 7s that can knock you out.

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles

Another loss in the Bis. Weekenders melted quickly and left me facing a Bis, Iowa, and Yammy alone. :(
The extra speed helped the maneuvering. I'm not too worried about the extra range due to the dispersion but I'm about to grab it out of frustration. I've been saving my free XP for the Missouri.

Members
594 posts
4,461 battles
Just now, The_Feets said:

Another loss in the Bis. Weekenders melted quickly and left me facing a Bis, Iowa, and Yammy alone. :(
The extra speed helped the maneuvering. I'm not too worried about the extra range due to the dispersion but I'm about to grab it out of frustration. I've been saving my free XP for the Missouri.

Like I said. Find a division mate. That, or go to Coop. I suck it up in randoms anyway.

[BB35]
Members
18 posts
6,969 battles
6 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

If you want sh*t MM, sit at Tier V-VI.

Is that the same as Tier X seal clubbing on the T8s?

Sign in to follow this