You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Kingsabre

AA Cruisers & new AA spotting mechanic

6 comments in this topic

Members
21 posts
898 battles

So, there are several Cruisers at mid-to-high tiers whose AA (if built for max stealth + max AA) will out-range their detection range by air...

With the new patch, gone are the days of melting planes while remaining concealed (I believe the Minotaur was especially notorious for this)

I know many (most) Cruisers at least partially rely on stealth for survival, and the new mechanic may lead to situations where your AA will start going off (giving away your position) before you would otherwise have been spotted...

...so I am just wondering if anyone is planning on changing their builds to compensate for this, either via captain skills or ship upgrades...?

...or  just planning to start being more aware and using the "P" key to turn AA on/off (like many DD captains do)?

...or just not worry about it at all, because if there are planes in range - you want to shred them(!) regardless of detection?

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles

You'll need to just pay attention more. That's all.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
4 minutes ago, Kingsabre said:

So, there are several Cruisers at mid-to-high tiers whose AA (if built for max stealth + max AA) will out-range their detection range by air...

With the new patch, gone are the days of melting planes while remaining concealed (I believe the Minotaur was especially notorious for this)

I know many (most) Cruisers at least partially rely on stealth for survival, and the new mechanic may lead to situations where your AA will start going off (giving away your position) before you would otherwise have been spotted...

...so I am just wondering if anyone is planning on changing their builds to compensate for this, either via captain skills or ship upgrades...?

...or  just planning to start being more aware and using the "P" key to turn AA on/off (like many DD captains do)?

...or just not worry about it at all, because if there are planes in range - you want to shred them(!) regardless of detection?

Turn off the P key and wait for the detect arrow to light up when you have incoming planes, then vaporize them.

[SYN]
Members
5,472 posts
12,704 battles

The new mechanic makes sense.  I have no problem with it.

Still have no issues swatting down planes in the Cleveland or Baltimore.  Heck, even my Budyonny is a strong Anti-Air machine, at least in self-defense.

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,485 battles
21 minutes ago, Kingsabre said:

When playing a DD like my Mahan, my AA is always turned off. The only times that I turn it on are when the planes automatically detect me because they're within my air detection bubble, or when I'm firing my guns while spotted and there's really no purpose of having it off then anyways. :Smile_Default: There's certain situations like being perma spotted by planes where I'll just let what little AA I have go off, but it always depends on the circumstance.

I imagine cruisers will do more or less the same thing. If you think about it a little, it will be even more dangerous for both ships because both you and the Cruiser need to pay a little more attention. If a cruiser waits for the planes to detect and then pops their AA, chances are they'll kill some planes before they can get out of range. At the same time, if a Cruiser doesn't hold their AA fire and just lets the guns blaze away at any range, you may find CVs baiting AA fire so that their BBs and Cruisers can get on target and nuke the spotted cruiser. Just a thought. ^-^