Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Furutaka is much different than Kuma

19 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
4,118 battles

Just played my first game in the Furutaka.  Did my research ahead of time and watched some videos and read some posts.  Thank god I was in Co-Op because she isn't what I expected.  The turning speed of the main guns is more like a BB than a cruiser.  The change from the Kuma (which I love) to the Furutaka is jarring.  It is much different in the USN cruiser line.  The play from the St Louis to the Phoenix to the Omaha followed a natural progression where you could build skills from one ship to the other.  This doesn't feel that way.

Only a 3 pt captain, so maybe it gets better (I'm not moving my 12 pt Kuma Captain into her until I'm convinced she's worth it).  Any suggestions for me?

[OPEC]
Members
962 posts
5,228 battles

Furutaka takes some getting used to for sure (I liked her eventually, but it took a while).  She and Aoba can be a challenge until they are fully upgraded and you might want to consider using the module that boosts turret rotation so you aren't constantly out-turning your guns - which stinks in a cruiser that needs to turn to stay alive.

Also, don't be afraid to stop shooting and "go dark" so that you can re-position and not show broadside in the wrong spot.  Japanese cruisers are quite squishy.

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
4,118 battles

delp5117, how to I get my stats in my posts like you have?

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles

IJN cruisers are fantastic.  Aoba sucks, but the rest of them are solid ships.

Members
32 posts
6,478 battles

AMajor, don't sweat the strange performance (and strange feeling) you get from the Furutaka.  The difference you feel is coming from the fact that she mounts heavy cruiser guns on a light cruiser hull.  They may turn slowly, but they hit really hard.  Once you know how to use the Furutaka effectively, she's a monster who will devour anything in your path.

This youtube video, courtesy of Yuro, has to be one of the best guides for playing the Furutaka that I have seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yys0RBJ3dpM

Please check it out and learn from it, then go out there with that ship and enjoy!

Edited by RenamedUser_1018007003

[NDA]
Supertester
4,923 posts
14,393 battles
27 minutes ago, AMajor said:

delp5117, how to I get my stats in my posts like you have?

You need to got to this website. 

https://na.warships.today/

Enter you name and look for the tab called 'Generate Signature' which gives you the same image and a URL.

Than go to your profile tab at the top of the forums here and click drop down menu next to your name. 

You need Account Settings, than the tab Signature. Put the URL that you got from Warships Today there and click save.

That should do it for you 

[SYN]
Members
53 posts
2,605 battles

Don't give up on the Furutaka mate. She takes some getting used to from the destroyer-feeling Kuma, but she's wonderful when played right. One of the ships I won't be selling, even though I'm on the Myoko. That guide from Yuro really is great advice in the form of comedy. Powerful guns, good torp angles, fast speed, but slow traverse and reload. Play her like a squishy, fast battleship. And don't believe the hate on the Aoba. She's effectively just the Furutaka again, but with better stats in virtually every area except torp angles. Hope that helps.

Members
974 posts
1,871 battles
1 hour ago, crzyhawk said:

IJN cruisers are fantastic.  Aoba sucks, but the rest of them are solid ships.

the Aoba is like the Nurnberg it is not much of an upgrade over the tier V but is higher tier

[INTEL]
Members
6,738 posts
26,503 battles

Furutaka is a wonderful ship, especially once upgraded to the double gun turrets.

It is the very first exposure in game to a heavy cruiser (CA), so the jump from a light cruiser (CL) is a big step.

It is better than Aoba, in the same way that Köngsberg is better than Nürnberg. The ship at T6 is a little better but the difference is not enough to justify the jump in tier, so it suffers. The line gets better at Myoko (T7) which is a very solid ship. What Furutaka has better than them is the torpedo arcs. No other ship in the IJN line has such good torpedoes other than the Premium ships Atago and ARP Takao at T8.

Furutaka needs a well-trained captain, and it needs Expert Marksman skill. The slower turret rotation and much slower rate of fire (RoF) takes getting used to. You need to plan your shots ahead of time, as you do with a BB. It has wonderful guns (203mm) and like most of the IJN line, good torpedoes and excellent HE with a high fire chance.

[O_O]
Members
4,629 posts
10,034 battles

Never judge a ship in stock configuration.  Hold your assessment until you have it fully upgraded and have played a dozen games in that form.

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles

Kuma is good, Furukita alright, suffered through Aoba (last game was my best game) , Bought a Myoko , and saw it was going to be as bad as Aoba and gave up at 4 games, won 3 of 4. avg xp a meager 919, . Only lines I am going to take past 6 are UK and French. Got rid of/stopped at  Nurnberg and Kirov too after a few games. school is still out on Cleveland

Edited by Strachwitz666

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,395 battles

I'll have you know that the 'Furrytaco' is one of my favorite ships in this game, and I used to play it when there was no 3 turret/ 2 guns per turret setup, like the Aoba at T6.

Of course, it takes time getting used to the taco because you kind of have a choice in what ammunition you wanna fire. Yeah, you can fire nothing but HE and still do fine, but the taco has some amazing AP that will just ruin any of the T5 cruisers. On top of that, the taco can punish T6 and T7 cruisers just fine as well, so don't think for a moment you're useless when you're uptiered! Your AP is also pretty good against BBs if you know where to aim, and your torpedoes as mentioned above have AMAZING angles of fire. In fact, if a Furrytaco was to brawl and Aoba, it's likely that the taco would kill the Aoba before the Aoba could even send it's torps.

You just have to get used to the slower turret rotation, that's all. You don't have little pop guns any more like the Kuma; you have big, scary, 20.3cm guns. That means more damage, but they're slower to turn. You'll find it's a minor trade-off when you start getting Devastating Strikes on cruisers at half health. :cap_cool:

Edited by AllysaRockz
Grabbed the exact gun caliber!

Members
12 posts
380 battles

Yeah I was not a fan of the Furutaka at all till I got the hang of it than it turned out to be a pretty good ship, kept it like I did my Kuma. The Aoba though.. it's just a downgrade, the torps suck unlike the Furutaka's  but everything else feels exactly the same. Hoping the Myoko will be a lot better.

edit: My only problem with these bigger gun Japanese cruisers is it feels to me they fill a role that's filled by every single other ship in the game but they are less effective at it. DD's wreck cruisers with the torp spam but the big guns on the CAs don't have the volume of fire to counter DDs. The BBs citadel the crap outta CAs, all you can do is slow HE spam BBs. CVs will probably pick a BB to torp drop on but CA's arent that hard to hit either.

So sure you can bully other cruisers but.. everything already counters cruisers..

Edited by Winters_night

[PVE]
Members
6,453 posts
11,451 battles

Furutaka is actually a decent cruiser. The difference is you went from Kuma which is a light cruiser with pew pew guns to a heavy cruiser with bigger and slower reloading guns. Takes some getting used to but once you do the ship is pretty good. I actually got my 1st 100K damage game in the Furutaka many moons ago. Only real issue is, like most of the IJN CL/CA's, it is weakly armored and easily wrecked. Be very careful showing that broadside even to other cruisers.

The next ship up the line is the T6 Aoba which sucks frankly. I just couldn't finish it and sold the ship only a little XP away from the T7 Myoko. Maybe I will try some free XP and give the T7 a shot some day but no way I ever play Aoba again. Just an awful ship with USELESS torps. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

[DBM]
Members
354 posts
4,118 battles

Thanks for all the advice.  This helps quite a bit.  Is Yuro always so funny?

Members
289 posts
On 11/12/2017 at 10:58 AM, Strachwitz666 said:

Kuma is good, Furukita alright, suffered through Aoba (last game was my best game) , Bought a Myoko , and saw it was going to be as bad as Aoba and gave up at 4 games, won 3 of 4. avg xp a meager 919, . Only lines I am going to take past 6 are UK and French. Got rid of/stopped at  Nurnberg and Kirov too after a few games. school is still out on Cleveland

Seriously, don't give up until the Mogami. Keep the 155s (15 freaking guns)and grab IFHE for your captain, load up some fire flags and go to town. The rest of the line is meh until the Zao, so I see what your saying, but the 155 firehose Mogami is worth the grind, and a hell of a lot of fun. Especially after they buffed the turret traverse to almost pre-nerf levels.

• Cool 1

Members
821 posts
3,891 battles
8 hours ago, Noone_You_Know said:

Seriously, don't give up until the Mogami. Keep the 155s (15 freaking guns)and grab IFHE for your captain, load up some fire flags and go to town. The rest of the line is meh until the Zao, so I see what your saying, but the 155 firehose Mogami is worth the grind, and a hell of a lot of fun. Especially after they buffed the turret traverse to almost pre-nerf levels.

Thanks, yea, The HE spam thing I guess I really have not seen except to be a victim of it a few times.  The Cleveland is the first ship I have actually owned where I can see (and be able to play) some of the "use" for HE spam myself.  I'll  go revisit all the cruiser lines including the IJN after I play some other lines further down, and run out of fun in them.

[KNTAI]
Members
173 posts
5,204 battles

Frankly the Aoba wasn't that bad. Sure she's got worse torpedo firing arcs but she has faster-firing guns than Furutaka. You just need to play her like Kuma, but with less reliance on torpedoes.

I hated the Ibuki more. Being someone who was too accustomed to Mogami and realizing the power difference between the former and Zao, I can't go back to Ibuki - that long reload, compared with the floaty shells, makes her a complete nightmare to play. Especially if you're up against TX cruisers, which can easily wreck you if they have half a brain.

Sign in to follow this