You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Red_Hammer_Fleet

DD/CA/CV Division Tactics

2 comments in this topic

[GULAG]
[GULAG]
Members
150 posts
1,474 battles

Most of my gameplay recently has been while divisioned-up with my clan-mates. I play DDs, another plays CVs, and another plays CAs. I'm usually in an IJN/KM destroyer, the second guy is often in an IJN carrier, and our third guy drives a Cleveland or Graf Spee (we're enjoying T6).

I've been rolling around ways of playing this lineup more effectively. Usually, I'll move out ahead and scout, with the cruiser trailing in case I run into trouble. The CV will provide air cover, since we tend to protect one flank while the rest of the team goes elsewhere.

In terms of priority, we try to kill enemy destroyers first. If we can deprive the enemy of their spotters, they will have to rely on their carrier to spot targets or push cruisers forward to compensate. Once we eliminate the destroyers on one side, we can sink or drive off whatever else we encounter. The real fun comes if a lone enemy battleship ventures into the zone we are covering. Between my torpedoes, the guns on our cruiser, and carrier-based bombers, they tend not to last very long.

The real weakness in this strategy is if we run into the enemy main force. One destroyer, one cruiser, and a supporting CV isn't going to do much of anything against 2/3 of the enemy team. At best, we can fight a delaying action and pray for backup. At worst, we are sunk and that flank collapses.

Any suggestions for alternate strategies?

Members
22 posts
145 battles

Pay more attention to the mini-map and don't go way far off from the main fleet. Don't have your CA always rely on your smoke, sure you got into the smoke but where you going to go when the smoke runs out? (especially IJN smoke doesn't last terribly long) Know your way out of that.

• Cool 1