Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
WhiteTulip

Neptune problems

14 comments in this topic

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

Hi all,

I'm having some trouble getting used to the Neptune, and would like to ask for some advice.

Background: About 25 games in Neptune. Had a 60+% win rate in Edinburgh. Went with radar instead of smoke. Have been blown up so many times I've lost track. 

Oddly enough, the games where I've had some success we've lost, and the games where I get deleted immediately are wins as often as not. 

I've been playing like I would the earlier tier RN CAs - close support of capping DDs - but I think this may be too aggressive for this ship. 

In the Eddy I've been targeted by as many as 10 ships at once on multiple occasions, and lived to tell the tale. In the Neptune I get targeted by 3 and don't last long. I got citideled by a DD last game. 

Should I just play a significantly more conservative role in games? Massive change in playstyle? Give up and buy the Mino as soon as I can afford it?

Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
11,102 posts

Edinburgh is the last great anvil in the RN line. The ships above her play completely different. Think of them as rapid firing, big destroyers that are fragile. You'll soon be on your way! 

[AR15]
Supertester
2,589 posts
8,793 battles

Ditch radar for smoke unless you're running in division with something that carries smoke. Don't get close to caps early game; hang back and pelt BBs dumb enough to give you broadside. Splatter DDs that come too close. Murder planes. Know when and where to set up your smoke and stay vigilant when in it, since your vape cloud is a torp magnet. 

Also, T9/10 RN CLs are extremely hard to carry games in. They're just too fragile unless everything big is already dead. Play them more like a fat Russian DD than a cruiser. They're fun but hard to do well in. 

[SW]
Beta Testers
1,896 posts
9,452 battles

stop trying to be up front, play from the side and angled. do not enter a CAP by yourself unless your team is ahead. if there are CVs in a game, stay together with a BB or CL/Ca for cover from air.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,699 posts
16,636 battles

Ditch radar for smoke, play second line, treat your ship like it's made of nitroglycerine and will explode at the lightest bump. The most annoying Neptunes (And Minotaurs) that I've ever come up against know when to go guns silent and know where to sit to remain untouchable as they rain AP over islands and from smoke - anyone's smoke.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,313 posts
16,276 battles

The Neptune is a glass monster and I found it to be a better ship than the Edinburgh. But you have to be careful with this ship. 

Don't run radar unless you have one or two destroyers in a division bolted to your side. Smoke is life. 

Remember Islands are you friends and the best kind of armor. Stay near islands where you can support you destroyers friends, rain AP on the enemies and have an escape route when your smoke runs out or you get your stern radared. You filthy smoke camper. 

Speaking of smoke camping, try to avoid setting up your smoke screen while targeted, its a good way of eating a ton of damage. 

Most maps can be divided into thirds, looks something like this Cap A | Cap B | Cap C. You want to be playing middle of one of the outside thirds, preferably near an island with your hard open water spot range just barely extending past the cap point. But well back from where the big ships can spot you. 

I also suggest you invest in the Smoke Screen Expert skill and get used to moving slightly in you smoke. If you have the ability to angle just a bit you'll cut down on those Devastating Strikes some sniping BBs manage to hit blind. Also while in smoke run you Hydro so you have advance warning of incoming torps. 

Finally you are not a ship that pushes the battle you are a ship that has to Flows with the battle. Once you have established your first point of ambush/support watch how the battle progresses. If the enemy is pushing your side make plans to fall back but if the enemy team is retreating from you make plans to follow after. And by follow I mean from island to island while Still Covering Caps. I've lost count of the games lost because my team goes chasing rabbits to the boarders while leaving the caps to the enemy.

The Sinksalot Fleet salutes you and fair seas captain. 

[MIA-P]
Members
2,279 posts
12,758 battles

One thing you'll find with Neptune is that you can't run radar effectively as with Edin (or later Mino) due to concealment, so you'll want to run smoke.  It and Mino have terrible armour and high citadels compared with the T6-8 RN CLs, and are more like Danae and Emerald in that fashion (on a side note, once you get decent at Neptune, go back and try Emerald again-you'll know how to play it and it will become very fun).  Like others have said, you need to play much more cautiously.

Members
627 posts
8,271 battles

So, I tried this in a couple of games. Switched to smoke, tried to stay farther back.

Game 1 - 1 shot hit prior to detonation.

Game 2 - 5 shot hits and got cursed by a Baltimore.

>sigh<

Will keep trying, but this is a hard boat to love.

Members
4,241 posts
16,319 battles
10 hours ago, Grflrgl said:

Will keep trying, but this is a hard boat to love.

My biggest gripe about Neptune is the orbital shells. I can hardly hit anything beyond 10 klicks. I've been trying the radar ship too and while it has it's uses, those uses are limited. I'm going back to using smoke.

The advice these other folks are giving is solid, cant go wrong following it.  :cap_like:

[VW]
Members
354 posts
17 hours ago, ReddNekk said:

My biggest gripe about Neptune is the orbital shells. I can hardly hit anything beyond 10 klicks. I've been trying the radar ship too and while it has it's uses, those uses are limited. I'm going back to using smoke.

The advice these other folks are giving is solid, cant go wrong following it.  :cap_like:

The orbital shell flight sucks as bad as the shells themselves.  They shatter on almost all ships you can hit at range.  I get 2/3-3/4 shatters at range, then 50% over pens close up.  Pretty much 75% of hits for 0 damage, all while taking massive damage from anything.  Useless.

Members
4,241 posts
16,319 battles
39 minutes ago, nhf said:

The orbital shell flight sucks as bad as the shells themselves.  They shatter on almost all ships you can hit at range.  I get 2/3-3/4 shatters at range, then 50% over pens close up.  Pretty much 75% of hits for 0 damage, all while taking massive damage from anything.  Useless.

I hear that! I was pounding on a Moskva, who was bow-on, at about 11-12 klicks in a battle, hit him over 60 times and did little damage. His HE was pounding the hell out of me.

RN CLs need HE.

Edited by ReddNekk

Sign in to follow this