You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
alanbay

losing to many players.

61 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
497 posts
24,197 battles

Im losing players left and right . an other 4 guys stopped playing  because they say the  physics are not right.  if that is true can you not fix it .

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Privateers, Privateers
6,798 posts
4,837 battles

"Because physics are not right". That's a new one on me. Could they be more specific, there is a lot that goes on with "physics" in game, so some specificity would help.

[SYN]
Members
15,544 posts
12,778 battles

damn you physics!

giphy.gif

• Cool 10

[SPTR]
Members
26,989 posts
14,912 battles

Ah no need to worry we're getting new players through steam /^_\\ b

Beta Testers
6,739 posts
8,137 battles

Im betting if you are telling the truth your friends quit because they suck horribly, don't know how to get better, and decided to blame something that is acceptable. 

• Cool 5

[-K--]
Members
3,989 posts
18,746 battles
2 minutes ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Im betting if you are telling the truth your friends quit because they suck horribly, don't know how to get better, and decided to blame something that is acceptable. 

Yeah I think people just keep forgetting that this is a game and it's a damn fine game a lot of fun but you do need some skill to be good at it

And being a game it has to be balanced and things aren't always going to be "historically accurate"

He probably plays other games first person shooters fantasies or Space Adventures but those are acceptable because there's no history to troll with and he doesn't have to deal with other players on his team

The hardest part of this game is that you have to work with other players to win and if your friends suck at this game why would he want to play it but here's an idea why don't you help your friends get better it's possible I did it I used to suck at this game sometimes I still do but I still love it

[P2W]
[P2W]
Members
1,241 posts
55 minutes ago, alanbay said:

Im losing players left and right . an other 4 guys stopped playing  because they say the  physics are not right.  if that is true can you not fix it .

That's code for "I can't hit anything". Likely newbie BBs.

• Cool 1

[-K--]
Members
3,989 posts
18,746 battles
1 minute ago, w4spl3g said:

That's code for "I can't hit anything". Likely newbie BBs.

You're so right look how many battles he has if you don't have it figured out by now I don't know if they could fix this game enough to help that

[NEMO]
Members
812 posts
8,319 battles

This is why spelling is important...

"Losing to many players": He is losing a lot of his matches to superior players.

"Losing too many players": He is concerned that some aspect of the game is causing a lot of players to quit.

• Cool 6

[O_O]
Members
5,986 posts
13,809 battles

He isn't an intentional troll.  This is just a typical alanbay post.  I imagine alanbay looks like Simple Jack from Tropic Thunder...

Members
1,434 posts
8,824 battles

The main thing "wrong" with the physics in this game is that the ships accelerate impossibly fast.  The "fix" would mean that we wouldn't even get all the way up to full speed before the 20 minute game ended.

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,964 battles

Well. This is an arcade game, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

but if you were a picky with the maneuvering mechanics, it bugs me that I can’t  “goose” the speed to turn the ship faster at low speeds like I can with a real destroyer.

what makes the ship turn is water flow over the rudder.   When I’m in a low speed situation in real life, and I’ve already got the rudder over full, I’ll increase the speed of the engines to get more water flow across the rudders and bring the engine rpm back down before the ship increases speed.  The ship turns around faster.

doing this in the game only increases turn radius and doesn’t increase the turn speed.  So I just chug my way at 1/4 speed to get around this tight situation I put myself in.

thats about the only complaint I have about “physics”. But it’s an arcade came so I play by the arcade game rules and not real life physics.

i do like that I can apply the same methods I use to avoid collision with other ships when they’re in close (as a ship driver)

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles

I think new players should at least start out with cruisers. They move faster and shoot faster. IMO if you start right out playing BBs in the low tiers a newbie can get bored real fast and have a tough time killing anything. Move on to BBs after some time in cruisers. DDs are fun but got a steep learning curve.

[KIA-A]
Members
2,279 posts
12,870 battles
36 minutes ago, wtfovr said:

Well. This is an arcade game, so I take it all with a grain of salt.

but if you were a picky with the maneuvering mechanics, it bugs me that I can’t  “goose” the speed to turn the ship faster at low speeds like I can with a real destroyer.

what makes the ship turn is water flow over the rudder.   When I’m in a low speed situation in real life, and I’ve already got the rudder over full, I’ll increase the speed of the engines to get more water flow across the rudders and bring the engine rpm back down before the ship increases speed.  The ship turns around faster.

doing this in the game only increases turn radius and doesn’t increase the turn speed.  So I just chug my way at 1/4 speed to get around this tight situation I put myself in.

thats about the only complaint I have about “physics”. But it’s an arcade came so I play by the arcade game rules and not real life physics.

i do like that I can apply the same methods I use to avoid collision with other ships when they’re in close (as a ship driver)

Increasing speed increases turn radius, just like in real life.  Take a car, for example.  You can't stomp on the gas to turn a corner tighter, you'll skid or roll over.  The same thing applies to boats and ships, only more so due to the greatly reduced friction of water vs on land.  This is why a fast moving boat will drift in a turn, same as a car.  This is why the faster you go, the less tightly you can turn.  Simple physics.  You are confusing turn speed with turning circle. They are related but not interchangable.  You'll turn faster at high speed (water over rudder like you said), but you'll also need more space.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
17,525 posts
12,810 battles
1 hour ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Or maybe, when WG came out and admitted that they have a problem retaining people, but it was offset by new folks coming in...they knew what they were saying.

• Cool 3

[PHASE]
Members
5,791 posts
18,813 battles
1 hour ago, Raptor_alcor said:

Or maybe they are looking for another game hat has more to it than don't show broadside and shoot AP at broadside.

Members
483 posts
4,103 battles
6 minutes ago, Sweetsie said:

Or maybe they are looking for another game hat has more to it than don't show broadside and shoot AP at broadside.

There is!  You can show bow on and shoot HE!  Or shoot torpedoes!  

There are a lot of problems with this game, but punishing broadsiding cruisers and BBs is not one of them.  

Beta Testers
1,440 posts
18,057 battles

If you are....... "losing to many players".....perhaps you need to practice more? Then you too can be as good as they are.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,711 posts
22,019 battles
11 minutes ago, crzyhawk said:

Or maybe, when WG came out and admitted that they have a problem retaining people, but it was offset by new folks coming in...they knew what they were saying.

Player retention is awful. We bring in lots of new players, just look at the amount of battles some of the people who are responding to the OP have compared to his... Our player base has been growing at a snail's pace, still about the same amount of people playing the game as when I started. Of course judging from some of the responses, it isn't hard to see why players leave the game. 

• Cool 1

[LOS]
Members
814 posts
12,229 battles
2 hours ago, alanbay said:

Sounds like he should've posted this at World of Warplanes....the flight mechanics and physics are really screwed there...sleep it off pal...wrong game

[KIA-A]
Members
2,279 posts
12,870 battles
4 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Player retention is awful. We bring in lots of new players, just look at the amount of battles some of the people who are responding to the OP have compared to his... Our player base has been growing at a snail's pace, still about the same amount of people playing the game as when I started. Of course judging from some of the responses, it isn't hard to see why players leave the game. 

Yeah, simply saying "git gud" isn't going to do much (even if that is what the person needs to do).  There needs to be a better way of getting newer players up to speed.  I've been playing since open beta, so I know a lot of stuff that a new person wouldn't.  It was easier to join at the beginning of open beta.  Nearly everyone was terrible.  Now people face a bunch of players who have been around a long time and know what they're doing (even without seal-clubbing).  It's sink or swim, and a lot don't learn to swim in time due to the difficulty of transferring the necessary skills and knowledge.

Edited by thegamefilmguruman
  • Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
769 posts
4,964 battles
1 hour ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Increasing speed increases turn radius, just like in real life.  Take a car, for example.  You can't stomp on the gas to turn a corner tighter, you'll skid or roll over.  The same thing applies to boats and ships, only more so due to the greatly reduced friction of water vs on land.  This is why a fast moving boat will drift in a turn, same as a car.  This is why the faster you go, the less tightly you can turn.  Simple physics.  You are confusing turn speed with turning circle. They are related but not interchangable.  You'll turn faster at high speed (water over rudder like you said), but you'll also need more space.

Yes increasing the ship's speed does increase the ship's advance and transfer in a turn - that is published in a ship's tactical maneuvering folder.

But in this case the ship speed doesn't increase, the power addition is added to increase the water flow momentarily - put on a full bell for about 10-15 seconds, and the power is brought back before the ship is allowed to accelerate.   So the turn rate is increased without increasing the ship's speed.

Edited by wtfovr

[NEMO]
Members
812 posts
8,319 battles
59 minutes ago, thegamefilmguruman said:

Yeah, simply saying "git gud" isn't going to do much (even if that is what the person needs to do).  There needs to be a better way of getting newer players up to speed.  I've been playing since open beta, so I know a lot of stuff that a new person wouldn't.  It was easier to join at the beginning of open beta.  Nearly everyone was terrible.  Now people face a bunch of players who have been around a long time and know what they're doing (even without seal-clubbing).  It's sink or swim, and a lot don't learn to swim in time due to the difficulty of transferring the necessary skills and knowledge.

Politely trying to help other players in-game doesn't work, either, because 75% of them will tell you to "eff off, I play how I want to play", another 20% don't even know there's a chat window, leaving only 5% that might take your advice...

I had a clanmate that rage quit because I was trying to tell him how to angle to avoid being citadeled in every battle.... Thankfully, he left the clan....

EDIT: I just tried a PvE battle in a DD, and only had 2 other humans in the match. One died right away, and the other, in an Iowa, died (while backing away from the cap he yolo'd and got too close to) then blamed me for not supporting him while I was busy contesting a cap on the other side of the map vs 2 DD's, even though I broke away from my fight and tried to help kill the bot Roon that was rushing him. I was then told that people like me were the reason he hated playing PvP.

Some people will blame everything but themselves for their bad gameplay...

Edited by Thraxian