You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Zarenno

USS Salt Lake City- A proposition.

12 comments in this topic

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles

I have a proposition for you WarGaming, I am one of those that love the current Pensacola, and she is my favorite ship (As you can tell by my stats). I would love for her to stay where she is in her tier, with her current setup of stats and modules. This is where the proposition comes in- Since you are going to nerf my baby; I was wondering, could you add in the USS Salt Lake City as a premium tier 7 for those of us that love the current Pensacola? I would buy it in an instant if it meant that I could keep the ship that I’ve learned to play so well in her current tier, and with her current setup. I would be so happy if you were able to do this! (It would not be too hard, there is legit no difference between the two ships other than the names.) Myself and a lot of others who like the ship would indeed love to keep her the way she is. 

Please make this happen, it would mean the world to me. 

Sincerely, Zarenno - the Pensa(Brawla)cola master.  

World of Warships Screenshot 2017.09.25 - 09.38.13.70 (2).png

• Cool 4

[-KIA-]
Members
5,177 posts
11,621 battles
20 minutes ago, TornadoADV said:

So...just buy the Indianapolis? :Smile_coin:

Salt Lake City is Pensacola's sister.  Indianapolis has none of Pensacola's agility and worse firepower, while SLC would be a T7 Pensacola with premium benefits.  Since the latter is moving down to T6 (and probably going to get RoF/accuracy/concealment nerfs if not some combination of all 3 to fit), I'm not opposed to it.

Edited by ValkyrWarframe
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
23,817 posts
24,406 battles

There are already TWO tier 7 USN premium cruisers.  We do NOT need a third!!!  Furthermore, since the Pensacola is going to be reduced to tier 6, it kind of goes without saying that a premium Pensacola wouldn't be a tier 7 ship anyways.

I, for one, am happy to see the Pensacola being reduced to tier 6, since it's only slightly younger than the tier 5 Omaha.  Thus, IMO, that's where she belongs, rather than at tier 7.

[DOMN8]
Members
151 posts
7,872 battles
13 hours ago, ValkyrWarframe said:

Salt Lake City is Pensacola's sister.  Indianapolis has none of Pensacola's agility and worse firepower, while SLC would be a T7 Pensacola with premium benefits.  Since the latter is moving down to T6 (and probably going to get RoF/accuracy/concealment nerfs if not some combination of all 3 to fit), I'm not opposed to it.

This is true; I do have an Indianapolis and would love to have the Salt Lake as the premium, it would be for those who love the USS Pensacola the way she is. The Indianapolis may have radar, but I dont like the location of its secondaries and how it handles it a lot different than that of the Pensacola. I would way keep my Pensa the way she is, than have her down tier'd and nerfed. If they bring the Salt Lake as a premium, good ol' Swayback Maru would be in my port ASAP. If the ship is not for you, just dont get her, it would probably only be available for a limited time. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,151 posts
4,908 battles

We don't need a garbage premium, the Cola is straight up trash.

• Angry 1

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
55 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

We don't need a garbage premium, the Cola is straight up trash.

If I had a guanlet, I’d slap you in the face and challenge you to duel.

• Funny 1

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,151 posts
4,908 battles
5 hours ago, SavageTactical said:

If I had a guanlet, I’d slap you in the face and challenge you to duel.

For stating the truth...?

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
On 11/17/2017 at 4:38 PM, Dr_Venture said:

For stating the truth...?

The truth is most people that do bad in the Pensacola are the same people that sail broadside to me for 3 straight salvos. They’re also the ones who over extend and put themselves alone and surrounded by the enemy fleet. Any cruiser you do that in is going to get punished. She doesn’t suffer foolish play.

When I was grinding her I ran into plenty of Myokos, Mogamis, and Atagos who had no problem at all showing me their full broadside to launch torps or swing all their guns on me. They had to limit their course changes due to their turret rotation while I could change course rapidly to avoid their shots. Fighting between 10-15 km I’ll out gun them every time. 1v1 against Aoba or Myoko I’ll come out ahead every time. Against 155 Mogami I can give him a good fight if I stay at range. External factors and luck will determine who wins. Atago has an advantage because of her heal and turret traverse, but I’d leave her bloody.

Beta Testers
742 posts
5,607 battles

Id love to see the SLC come into the game, either tier.  I do also recognize how hard it is for the Pense to be successful - she relies entirely on smart game play and RNG not screwing you over; which is why so many hate her, especially coming up after the Cleveland (The American precursor to the current Russian HE Spam).

Im going to be very interested in seeing how  the line is split, but I am hoping they do very little to no nerfing of the Pense; she does not need any if shes dropping a tier.

[CZS]
Members
842 posts
8,005 battles
On 11/19/2017 at 8:44 AM, SavageTactical said:

The truth is most people that do bad in the Pensacola are the same people that sail broadside to me for 3 straight salvos. They’re also the ones who over extend and put themselves alone and surrounded by the enemy fleet. Any cruiser you do that in is going to get punished. She doesn’t suffer foolish play.

When I was grinding her I ran into plenty of Myokos, Mogamis, and Atagos who had no problem at all showing me their full broadside to launch torps or swing all their guns on me. They had to limit their course changes due to their turret rotation while I could change course rapidly to avoid their shots. Fighting between 10-15 km I’ll out gun them every time. 1v1 against Aoba or Myoko I’ll come out ahead every time. Against 155 Mogami I can give him a good fight if I stay at range. External factors and luck will determine who wins. Atago has an advantage because of her heal and turret traverse, but I’d leave her bloody.

Well...

I drive IJN CAs, and if anyone is showing you broadside to launch torps, they're morons.  You only do that when there's nothing around firing at you. 

I'm not as down on the Pensacola as other are, because it's gotten better over time.  That said, it's still no match for a non-potato Myoko or Mogami.  An Aoba can even regularly best one, if you play it reasonably, as it has much better armor, and equal DPM if neither use their rear turrets.

The primary advantage a Pensacola has over them is better turret rotation and noticeably tighter turning circle. It likely would do very well in close-range combat. But even there, it doesn't wiggle as good (all IJN CAs have better rudder shift).

And if you're winning against 155mm Mogamis, they're morons. At mid-long range (8km-15km) which is where the Mogami should be at, the Mogami:

1. Has almost 2km better concealment
  2. Has better armor and more HP
  3. Will pen your entire ship except the citadel and belt even without shooting IFHE. 
  4. 155mm AP *will* citadel you through the belt
  5. Has almost 2x the DPM you do, either bow-only or broadside comparisons:  bow-on, it's 9 vs 5 (or 6 v 5 in limited cases), and full broadside it's 15 vs 10, with the Mogami having a 3:2 ROF advantage.  That adds up to a lot more firepower coming your way - especially when your HE isn't really any better than the 155mm Mogami's, and you much better AP will bounce regularly.

Your Pensacola will do a fair amount of AP pen damage, but you'll also get a fair amount of bounces if the Mogami player isn't dumb and keeps himself angled.  And the 203mm Mogami significantly outclasses the Pensacola in virtually everything except AP penetration angles.

The primary problem of many IJN CA drivers is that they really want to get the rear turrets into play, and expose far too much broadside to do so. If they're not doing that and not trying to knife-fight, the IJN CAs will simply eat you for breakfast at the mid-range engagement. At 10km, the turret rotation of a IJN CA is more than sufficient to keep up with wiggling/WASD on either party's behalf, and the IJN CAs simply have more and better guns (and better armor) than you do.

I'm sure you can beat Potato IJN CA players. But that's not a fair comparison - if you're good, then you have to compare yourself to a good player.  And the Pensacola simply is inferior to the IJN CAs in most situations.

Beta Testers
1,100 posts
9,864 battles
15 hours ago, EAnybody said:

Well...

You make good points and I agree. The key part of your post was people playing badly, and I think that's why a lot of people have problems with the Pensacola. I think that those players prefer the IJN cruisers over the Pensacola because while they are showing their broadsides they survive one or two more salvos and make a few more hits with their flatter shooting guns.