Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
NeutralState

IJN DD Guns Better After USN Arc Nerf

23 comments in this topic

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,553 battles

So...

After playing quite a few games in Shinonome farming credits. It seems IJN DDs can have its own niche in DD vs DD gun fights. 

Post USN DD's gun arc nerf, IJN DD's does currently have an advantage in "knife fights", due to the flatter trajectory of their shells.  IJN DDs can actually do quite well against USN DDs around 7-10 km range. At that range, USN DD's guns have high arcs and can be dodged (not all shells, but reasonable amounts), while IJN DD's shells are flatter and have more alpha damage. If played right, IJN DDs can keep a good distance while punishing USN DDs with high alpha salvos with very good accuracy. Also at that range, maneuverability short comings of IJN DDs are not that detrimental. 

[CUTE]
Supertester
4,099 posts
4,179 battles
1 minute ago, NeutralState said:

ByObDPcIQAAoG2V.jpg

The only change that affected USN guns were the rudder shift changes early on in beta...

[WOLFB]
Members
1,831 posts
8,796 battles

IJN guns are pretty good but the arc at long range is kinda meh, especially on the Shinonome. When you shoot at 9KM you don't have these US arc but you still have a pretty nice rainbow 

Members
1,201 posts
8,185 battles

Yeah, there never was an "arc nerf" to the USN DD guns.  They've always had the same shell velocity and used the same ballistic calculations.  The rest of the game has changed quite a bit in the last couple of years, which leads to less knife fighting between DD's and makes the USN guns feel less useful than they once were, but they haven't been directly nerfed.

[GREPT]
[GREPT]
Beta Testers
6,739 posts
7,330 battles

Ah, neutral, I think you're high on some illegal substance as the guns were never changed. 

[NSF]
Beta Testers
5,034 posts
6,522 battles

The only IJN DD I've played thus far that I would advocate active gunboating in is Akatsuki. Obviously there are one or two others, but Akatsuki has given me good results when fighting USN DDs, KMS DDs and RU DDs. 

Being able to run away and still fire four barrels is great, and when you have all six guns going, you can do serious damage in just a few salvos.

[FAE]
Members
2,241 posts
2,770 battles

Yknow... the IJN actually coulda had ok guns. They used to do great alpha, had high fire chance, so you could force a repair or something. 

Nowadays?  Theyre just worthless. 

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
566 posts
3,796 battles
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Yknow... the IJN actually coulda had ok guns. They used to do great alpha, had high fire chance, so you could force a repair or something. 

Way back in CBT if you caught a USN DD off guard the IJN DD could alpha strike them with AP/HE to the citadel.  There was also stealth fire so even if you were on low HP you could still contribute without island camping.

[NOVA]
Members
11,026 posts

You're just finding this out now?

3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

IJN guns got a RoF buff when their alpha and fire chance got nerfed.

Overall, their DPM is more or less the same.

The real nerf to IJN DD guns was the stealthfire removal. You used to be able to get a solid 2km+ stealthfire buffer on every DD past (T8) Fubuki. Now? meh....

[PSP]
Members
6,683 posts
9,788 battles

IJN vs US DD knife fights can be interesting to say the least. I got in one today with my Isokaze versus a Clemson. We were both whirling around so much at less than 4 km that nobody's gun turrets could keep up. I was just about ready to ram him and get it over with when I happened to get in a lucky torp hit to end the brawl.

[SONUM]
Beta Testers
566 posts
3,796 battles
48 minutes ago, Snargfargle said:

IJN vs US DD knife fights can be interesting to say the least. I got in one today with my Isokaze versus a Clemson. We were both whirling around so much at less than 4 km that nobody's gun turrets could keep up. I was just about ready to ram him and get it over with when I happened to get in a lucky torp hit to end the brawl.

Surprised at this result because Clemson has twice the guns and similar reload to Isokaze and 6 torps per side.  I did test a stock captain + upgraded Clemson and the guns do have trouble with an 18s 180 rotation time.

However starting at Tier 5 the result skews much more towards USN guns and such knife fighting is normally a bad idea.  Then you hit Tier 8 and it becomes lopsided.

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,339 posts
11,865 battles
10 hours ago, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

The only change that affected USN guns were the rudder shift changes early on in beta...

That's incorrect.  The changes were not noticed until well after that patch.  What never changed was the shell speed. 

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,553 battles
14 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Yeah, I think the point of the post is that at certain ranges. The flatter trajectory plus higher alpha allows IJN DDs to fight USN DDs.

No idea about the gun arc nerf, or lack thereof, and how that idea got into my head.

[NEUTR]
Members
2,207 posts
6,553 battles
14 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Yeah, I think the point of the post is that at certain ranges. The flatter trajectory plus higher alpha allows IJN DDs to fight USN DDs.

No idea about the gun arc nerf, or lack thereof, and how that idea got into my head.

[INTEL]
Members
8,838 posts
26,332 battles
On 11/11/2017 at 9:44 PM, Cruiser_Noshiro said:

Additionally, the range that you suggest is not knife-fighting range...

It is when you're in Shinonome!

Sign in to follow this