You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Texas_Vet

What are good cruiser captain skills?

12 comments in this topic

[B_O_W]
Members
387 posts
6,079 battles

After digging through my mistakes for DD captain skills, I would like to get the skinny on what are good cruiser captain skills to have?  Yes, there is a different option depending upon country and tier.  Common sense selections are PRIORITY TARGET (1), BASIC OF SURVIVEABILITY (3), CONCEALMENT EXPERT (4), and possibility of VIGILANCE (3) and DEMO EXPERT.

So what are the foundation skills that would work for the first four or five skills selected that would be generic to have?  I appreciate you feedback.

[SYN]
Members
15,531 posts
12,778 battles

BoS is a battleship skill, completely wasted on cruisers

Survivability Expert is a DD skill, completely wasted on ships with more HP

Concealment Expert is an excellent skill to have on any ship

Vigilance is an okay skill. Certainly more useful than BoS

Demo Expert is a good skill to have on cruisers and destroyers.

Superintendent is a good skill to have, if you plan on using the captain with a ship that has the repair party consumable

Adrenalin Rush is always useful

Members
9,915 posts
12,820 battles

NOtser and FLamu have really good vids on Capt skills and cruiser specialties.... just remember that certain skills are better in certain SHIPS... and not all Cruiser skills work the same.... each line has a different way to skill a capt in regards to their "Niche`"... for instance, reload times, turret times, AAA,  Fire chance, ETC..... so watch a few of their videos and experiment.. for example the DM Donskoi can be set up two or three different ways, depending on what you want to use her for... DD hunting, BB support and she has one of the best AAA setups, skilled and moduled correctly, in her tier, bar none if you set her up for aaa.... if hunting DDs you go another way....
There are MANY differences... and I think you will actually have fun going about learning them...
I reskilled a few cruisers two or three times to get a few just right...

Edited by pmgaudio

Members
689 posts
7,037 battles

Ive found Priority Target, Expert Marksman, Adrenaline Rush, Superintendent and Concealment Expert to be pretty universal amongst my cruisers. 

Other skills generally depend on the particular line you are grinding. Depending upon the caliber of their guns, IFHE can increase the effectiveness of your cruisers significantly, especially if your play style involves lots of long range HE slinging at BBs. Demolition Expert is best for ships which rely on rapid fire HE spam. RN and other cap-support CLs benefit from Smoke Screen Expert and Vigilance, but I would consider both of these more as luxury skills (especially given the recent changes to RN smoke). Radio Location might be useful for DD hunting cruisers (especially if you need to compensate for not having radar), but I don't have much experience with it.

One thing I'd advise against is taking an AA build (and not just because I play CV a lot). There are two types of cruisers in the game: cruisers with good AA and cruisers with bad AA. The cruisers with good AA are feared by CVs, so planes will avoid them like the plague. The cruisers with bad AA could surprise a CV and get some plane kills if they equip all the AA skills and mods, but it will never be enough to wipe out more than one squadron. If you're really scared of being attacked by enemy aircraft, defensive AA will protect you far better, regardless of the base strength of your AA and regardless of how many of your AA guns get knocked out over the course of the match. Plus there's like, no CVs ever. So this will only ever be a problem for you in 1/5 of the battles.

[B_O_W]
Members
387 posts
6,079 battles

I am starting to play (again) the Cleveland, have one skill (Priority Target) and am getting close for my second skill.  The turret rotation on the Cleveland is pretty good, so I will probably not get Expert Marksman.  I will focus on getting the 4 point Concealment Expert.

[SYN]
Members
1,099 posts
9,435 battles

Cleveland:  PT, EM, DE, IFHE, AR, AFT, BFT. (In that order)

MFCAA makes AA fierce, but sacrifices range. 

AR is too valuable for a second four point AA skill.

[AFW-]
Members
972 posts

Demolition expert on all cruisers except Royal Navy CLs.

Priority target & concealment expert is a must too because you wouldn't want to get deleted very soon.

[B_O_W]
Members
387 posts
6,079 battles

what about the Pensacola?  I currently have PT, EM, and DE.  I have 2 available points and will soon get my third for level 4 level skill.  The EM skill really helps on the Pensacola.   The IFHE 4 point skill looks very interesting with strong benefits, as does CE.  CE can hide you if you are not firing, which is a good thing.  But IFHE looks to add more damage because of the penetration bonus.   If that is the case, then I will probably get IFHE.  More damage is always a good thing, but the ability to hide via concealment when trying to run away is also a life saver.

Edited by Texas_Vet

[SYN]
Members
1,099 posts
9,435 battles
On 11/18/2017 at 2:14 PM, Texas_Vet said:

what about the Pensacola?  I currently have PT, EM, and DE.  I have 2 available points and will soon get my third for level 4 level skill.  The EM skill really helps on the Pensacola.   The IFHE 4 point skill looks very interesting with strong benefits, as does CE.  CE can hide you if you are not firing, which is a good thing.  But IFHE looks to add more damage because of the penetration bonus.   If that is the case, then I will probably get IFHE.  More damage is always a good thing, but the ability to hide via concealment when trying to run away is also a life saver.

CE. I think that IFHE will not help the 203's. After CE, I like AR and BFT on my Pensacola.  It comes to personal preferences. 

[RST]
Members
32 posts
3,126 battles

What skill build would be good for the destroyer killer role?  I have seen good suggestions on several youtubers channels but am always interested in different opinions. I mostly play French and IJN cruisers, tiers III - V.

Edited by paulnola

[K0]
Members
1,748 posts
7,493 battles

T1: PT is almost a universal pick

T2: EM for slow turrets, usually IJN cruisers /// AR otherwise, might as well get buffs for any damage you take /// LS for those with very fragile rudders/engines

T3: DE is almost always good /// SI for consumable-heavy playstyles (smoke, radar, hydro) and any cruiser that can heal /// Vigilance is meh, getting caught off-guard by torps should be pretty rare in a cruiser /// BoS for any T9-T10 pseudo-battleship builds (along with SI) /// BFT for any dedicated AA build 

T4: CE is pretty much universal /// AFT is a good second option since it buffs DF /// MFCAA is for heavy AA spec on certain ships, you'd have to give up CE or AFT for it though /// FP again for pseudo-battleships

2 hours ago, paulnola said:

What skill build would be good for the destroyer killer role?  I have seen good suggestions on several youtubers channels but am always interested in different opinions. I mostly play French and IJN cruisers, tiers III - V.

In order:

#1. (1 point) PT

#2. (2 points) AR or LS (2 points) depending on how many times your engine/rudder breaks

#3. (3 points) SI for more hydro uses or Vigilance for better torp avoidance without it (with the low ranges of low tiers I don't think it's worth it, but you may have nightmares of IJN DDs and I can't blame you)

#4. (4 points) CE

#5a: (1 point) DCCA for ships that carry catapult spotters/fighters, otherwise skip to #5b

#5b: (3 points) SI or Vigilance, the one you didn't pick for #3

#6: (2 points) JoAT for faster recharge on hydro (combine with flag for a substantial -10% reload)

Throw the remaining 3 or 4 points at any skills you fancy. DE would be the best option to round out the build against other ships, but it's not the only thing you can pick.

Edited by Flashtirade