You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Lord_Zath

Zath's Replay Theater Week 15 - Trying something new!

309 comments in this topic

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Today's video is starring @dearmrfrodo1 who brought a Benson into Ranked.  @Edgecase joins in for some of the fun :).

• Cool 1

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Today's video features @Lert in the Duke of York...  I decided to take a short break from Ranked Battles.  It's out of order, but that's because the campaigns end very soon and I figured some people might be looking to get some tips on how to play her.  

[RELSH] Lert 16,978
15,253 posts
10,658 battles
2 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I figured some people might be looking to get some tips on how to play her. 

And you chose me to show them?

Oy vey ...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles
14 minutes ago, Lert said:

And you chose me to show them?

Oy vey ...

Only DoY replay I had!  Hope that's OK w/ya :)

[RELSH] Lert 16,978
15,253 posts
10,658 battles
1 minute ago, Lord_Zath said:

Only DoY replay I had!  Hope that's OK w/ya :)

Sure it is!

That ending though ...

Spoiler

*cries every tiem*

For this battle though, I was already in a salty mood so didn't even bother putting flags on a sub-par ship, and just wanted to burninate the countryside. In retrospect I probably could've done a lot better with more intelligent ammo choice, but at the moment I just wanted to burn some mother truckers and farm salt.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles
5 minutes ago, Lert said:

Sure it is!

That ending though ...

Reveal hidden contents

*cries every tiem*

For this battle though, I was already in a salty mood so didn't even bother putting flags on a sub-par ship, and just wanted to burninate the countryside. In retrospect I probably could've done a lot better with more intelligent ammo choice, but at the moment I just wanted to burn some mother truckers and farm salt.

We all have those days!

Carl 395
4,259 posts
1,422 battles
20 minutes ago, Lert said:

Sure it is!

That ending though ...

Reveal hidden contents

*cries every tiem*

I know that feeling last couple of weeks have been rough. Probs gonna take a few weeks break from actually playing after i finish the new years raid.

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Today's replay is another Ranked Battle, featuring @ihsasum in the Lo Yang.  Special guest commentary by Edgecase!

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Today's replay came at the request of a forumer @Ensign_Cthulhu who was struggling in the Fiji...  hope this helps!  

[ARGSY] Ensign_Cthulhu 123
797 posts
1,206 battles
21 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

hope this helps

I am famous at last! (Sort of!) :Smile_teethhappy:  

I can answer (and admit to) some of your constructive criticisms - PM to follow when I've taken it all in and rewatched a couple of times.

And yes, it was indeed of great help. Many thanks for featuring me. :Smile_Default:

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

No problem!  Your Bellerophon game is tomorrow's video :)

797 posts
1,206 battles
4 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Your Bellerophon game is tomorrow's video

In his house in R'lyeh, Dread Cthulhu lies derping. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

So here's Cthulhu's response to the video and my comments as well...  posted with his blessing because the insights may help others!

Spoiler

2:39 – Premium consumables. The captain I currently have in this ship is possibly not the captain who had it for that battle (he arrived with the ship and I kept my best captain in the Leander until I decided that the Duke of York thing wasn't happening and could afford to waste time retraining).   The current (my best) captain has just finished retraining in the Fiji, however, and he has Superintendent, so the effects of that will come on in the next battle. However, your point is well made, especially in regard to the reload time of the premium consumables, and I might just have to resort to recouping the resultant financial losses in other ships. It’s not like I’m operating close to the bone, and I do have quite a few stashed away. I don’t have a premium account. Will concentrate on repair party and smoke for now.  Yeah if you're low on money, then play your favorite ships and just gain money that way...  side effect - you'll get better :).

3:45 Flags and camo. I have recently been discussing this on the boards in the 19 point grind thread. I don’t have that many XP flags and camos in stock, and they are not often come by in containers, so I had been loath to risk them given the loss/early death rate I’d been sustaining when this game was played. I anticipate that as I improve, they will accompany my achievements, so you’ll definitely be seeing more of those from me in the future.  Specific flag recommendations are noted, with profuse thanks. I actually have the captain skill which affects consumable reloads on the current captain, which is why I’m not running that flag, but having that extra bonus may not hurt.  Advice as to which flags respond to auto-resupply and which do not would be very much appreciated.  No problem.  If you're not confident in the ship, then do not waste the camos/flags!  Personally, I keep 300 of every flag on-hand for Ranked/Clan Battles.  

6:21 – I tried that once, and as you hinted  at 7:17, the rocks trolled me a lot. I recognize the spot, but I had recently been crowded out of it a fair bit by other ships which spawned closer and elected to stay out of it on that occasion. I think on this occasion I went for open water because it maximized the chances of other friendlies having line of sight to my targets (which I all too frequently lose when I smoke up), and also to have the broadest fields of fire.  Your advice as to which islands to pick (or not) and why is much appreciated.  No problem.  Remember, you're not a destroyer.  If the team is losing vision because you're smoking up, then you need to ask your destroyers for vision.  There are times when you can/should act like a destroyer, but that's usually not at the beginning of a match...

7:51 Shooting at the Maass – guilty, but no other enemy ships were in sight at this time and I didn’t want to waste smoke on a single target that might (and did) turn out of range. (That brings us back to your argument for premium consumables, but we’ve already covered that.) I thought a quick shot might even get lucky or at the worst drive him off. I do not currently have Concealment Expert; it must have been the camo.  (At this point, I should note that in this replay I cannot see the minimap on your screen.)  Yep you risked your entire ship for one quick shot....  very much not worth it there!

9:11 Priority Target – Duly noted, and the time has indeed come where it is necessary. I think I’ve got a spare captain point or two up my sleeve right now, so now that he’s fully retrained and can use it I’ll put that one on and see how it goes.  Sounds good!

9:40 Your commentary on my shooting is well noted. Guilty as charged. Your hints on exactly how high to aim and the small adjustments that can make a difference are VERY much appreciated.  Glad to be of service!

10:47 – Advice on disengagement is noted with much appreciation. This is one of the things I’m clueless on, and I admit it. Ditto the torpedo thing.  I admit my good luck. If I hesitate with my torpedoes, it’s because I’ve been pink a few times and I think I was trying to ensure my arcs were clear. Possibly also my hands were shaking?  Using Priority Target helps to know when to disengage - if you see 2 or 3 ships are aiming at you, it's time to run away.

13:45 – Guilty as charged. Shooting advice is as noted; smoke advice also. That was a bad misplay, and it keeps on happening. I need to work on that.

14:27 – Advice noted. Even with the new smoke mechanic , I’ve managed to overrun a few times with nasty results; I was playing things conservatively there.

15:28 – Guilty. When I lost sight of the BB against the island I actually wasn’t sure he was dead, and I considered it safer to get into cover behind the island, come around and maybe give him some torps in the face. The mistake I’ll definitely admit to here is taking far too long in realizing he’d been sunk; I must have missed the game announcing the fact. Once I twigged to that, that's when I turned around. I think I was kicking myself for that at the time, too.  It happens :)

16:17 – This follows as a corollary from the above. Guilty.

16:56 Critique on that first torp salvo noted. Guilty. In the replay it’s clear the change in rate-across is not in my favour, but in the heat of battle I briefly had a good line on him and I thought it better to get the speculative torps off while I still had a clear shot past the edge of the island. Possibly I was also thinking that with two enemy ships close together I might get lucky with the overruns (it was difficult to tell which ship I was locked onto), but that might just be justification after the fact.

17:32 – I was absolutely, positively reversing course here! The worry I had was whether I’d be able to complete the turn or if I would pull a Notser (if I had, I would likely have been safe but would not have got the kill). I admit I was lucky with the first set of torps at 16:56 (but battleships will sail in straight lines!), but sneaking up at the edge of land and dumping the second set in the last ship’s face was part of the plan. By then he'd come under gunfire from friendlies and was worn down, so switching back to guns myself was the only realistic thing to do and I got the last shots in first (so often I do not!).

Thanks for the comments!  Don't say "guilty" though - these are just mistakes - minor and major - which will go away over time!

1,733 posts
4,838 battles
11 hours ago, Lord_Zath said:

Today's replay came at the request of a forumer @Ensign_Cthulhu who was struggling in the Fiji...  hope this helps!  

ooooooh, Fiji video.... *drops everything and watches* hope some of my advice to him helps.

797 posts
1,206 battles

This vid was from just before your advice had time to sink in, I think. Tonight was interesting and productive. Nothing fantastic, just incorporating a hint here, a hint there, but felt positive.

1,733 posts
4,838 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

This vid was from just before your advice had time to sink in, I think. Tonight was interesting and productive. Nothing fantastic, just incorporating a hint here, a hint there, but felt positive.

ahh ok, well should still be interesting.

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Here's today's video, also courtesy of @Ensign_Cthulhu.

797 posts
1,206 battles
49 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

today's video

Very helpful, very instructive, and I thoroughly deserve the tonguelashing you gave me. I have had a long run of not being able to shoot straight against small targets in this ship, and I was consciously taking the decision to go for slower, easier targets I would have a better chance of hitting to weaken them for the team (and even then doing a very poor job of it).

Yeah, towards the end I thought "Let's just go cap out A and live rather than go hunting for him; keep an eye over my shoulder in case he comes looking". I was actually trying to angle against the OTHER side of the island from the one he finally came around; had no idea he was that far around me, which is why I was broad-side on to the place he appeared at the very end.

Working on my aim is 99.99999% of why I'm playing the Bellerophon in co-op; now that the Training Room seems to be only inert bots, Co-op is the only place I can go to shoot active targets and have a chance at living long enough.

4:21 "Are you thinking there's going to be other torpedoes?" The answer (justified by circumstance) was yes, and we all know what happens to people who DCP too soon and then take another flooding hit.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Glad to be of service again!  I didn't intend to tonguelash ya so I apologize if it came off that way!  Keep working on aim and priotization of targets - low-health targets must die first!  Chunking a full-health BB to 3/4 health doesn't help your team as much as doing the same amount of damage to a DD or CA!

797 posts
1,206 battles
3 minutes ago, Lord_Zath said:

I didn't intend to tonguelash ya so I apologize if it came off that way!

No, no, no, by all means do. Sometimes the teacher must be harsh on the student! :Smile_izmena: 

Much to learn, I still have. :Smile_child:So thank you for devoting two vids in a row to doing it.

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

No problem!  Feel free to continue sending in replays.

797 posts
1,206 battles

Anytime you're short of something to talk about, just let me know - I'll hop into something I play badly :Smile_child: and ease your worries. :Smile_teethhappy:

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

LOL!

Today's video features my favorite ship in the game...  Kiev!  @Rodrigopine takes her into a Ranked battle.  Enjoy!

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

@HorrorRoach returns with another Ranked replay...  this time in the Tirpitz!

[-K-] Lord_Zath 1,283
Members, Supertester
3,997 posts
12,931 battles

Today's video features @StatikTheWarmonger who sent in an IFHE Mogami replay.  I held off patching my client until I could get this video recorded.  Find out why!