You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Xantek

WoWS Steam Review

22 comments in this topic

[NLIST]
Members
129 posts
9,228 battles

But it's not final as it's still an "Early Access" game....let that sink in.

[WOLF6]
Members
388 posts
3,181 battles

The numbering scheme for update versions is still in the beta range.

Notice that leading zero?  World of Warships has yet to reach version 1.0, which usually indicates 'release' software.  With the number of changes each update, one can only conclude that the game is nowhere near 'stable'.

I've thought for a while about creating a thread to ask when the game will come out of the second open beta...

• Cool 1

[PSP]
[PSP]
Members
10,990 posts
16 minutes ago, ZoomieG said:

World of Warships has yet to reach version 1.0, which usually indicates 'release' software.

Let's see, the closed Beta was announced 947 days ago. At this rate the game should see release 1.0 in about two more years. 

Members
483 posts
4,099 battles
1 hour ago, Snargfargle said:

A game that has been publicly played for two years is still in "early access"?

Did someone say Space Engineers?

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,803 posts
9,171 battles

Sorry to be boring, but copy/pasting from the Steam page

WHAT THE DEVELOPERS HAVE TO SAY:

Why Early Access?

“World of Warships is already enjoyed worldwide, but the Steam version has a specially adapted multilanguage client. Early Access is a great opportunity to gather immediate feedback and make the game better. We want to make sure that by the time our game is launched on Steam officially it’s as dependable and precise as a Swiss watch. Or a Bismarck class battleship.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“Until the 15th of November, so Early Access smoothly turns into a full-fledged release.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“Our top priority is to check client stability, so the full version will not deviate much from the Early Access one. We will mostly concentrate on the technical aspect and initial feedback from the players. And keep in mind, that all the progress from the Early Access will carry over to the release version, so go ahead and work on your skills and level up those tech trees before your friends do!”

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“In our case Early Access is the full version of the game, we are just making sure that it works as intended on the Steam platform and supports all the languages correctly.”

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?

“The game will remain free to play after the Early Access period. Paid services include sped up leveling, cosmetic changes or collectors’ ships, but all the tools that a player might need to gain an advantage in a battle are available for free.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“World of Warships is our players first and foremost, lines of code and ship models come second. That is why we try our best to synergize with the player base, study their feedback and implement the most popular suggestions. We are always open for the dialogue with players. In addition to checking your feedback daily, we plan to share development updates and provide regular Q&A sessions. To put it simply, we are always listening to you and it’s going to be fun – both for you and for us.”

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Members
12,340 posts

As you can see if you actually read the early access blurb they are just testing how the steam interface works prior to release.  Would you prefer they release a buggy integration with steam?

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
22,699 posts
16,636 battles
7 hours ago, ZoomieG said:

The numbering scheme for update versions is still in the beta range.

Notice that leading zero?  World of Warships has yet to reach version 1.0, which usually indicates 'release' software.  With the number of changes each update, one can only conclude that the game is nowhere near 'stable'.

I've thought for a while about creating a thread to ask when the game will come out of the second open beta...

That is completely arbitrary. It's just an incremental numbering scheme for builds and has no bearing on beta / live / whatever. They could call this build refrigeratorlight.cowpatty.cardoor, and it would mean just as much.

I mean, WoT has been live for 6 years and it's still on 0.9.something.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,313 posts
16,276 battles
7 hours ago, Slntreaper said:

Did someone say Space Engineers?

XS5LK.gif

I used to play and test a game called FireFall, FireCats represent, and that game died in Development/Beta Hell. 

WoWs is a long way from that mess.  

Edited by RedSeaBear
  • Cool 1

[WOLF6]
Members
388 posts
3,181 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

That is completely arbitrary. It's just an incremental numbering scheme for builds and has no bearing on beta / live / whatever.

Pedantic response: If the numbering scheme has assigned values, then by definition it is not arbitrary.

Your point, however, is that 'release quality' is subjective, and the devs can declare that at any time, regardless of the current release name/number.  Which was the unstated point of my snark.  The terms alpha, beta, testing, stable, unstable, release candidate, release, early access; they are all somewhat subjective anyway.

Fun Fact: my current client build for WoWs is actually 0.6.13.1.297724

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
3,261 battles
2 hours ago, RedSeaBear said:

XS5LK.gif

I used to play and test a game called FireFall, FireCats represent, and that game died in Development/Beta Hell. 

WoWs is a long way from that mess.  

Dragonfly, represent.

And yeah, as much as i malign WG sometimes, WoWS is at least self-sufficient and WG has a track record of supporting their ailing (WoP) products.

Firefall was just... Damn that game had so much potential. Complete dev failure. And even tho i consider WoWS a beta product, i think your money is by and large safe here.

Edited by Mulletproof

[NDA]
Supertester
5,313 posts
16,276 battles
Just now, Mulletproof said:

Dragonfly, represent.

And yeah, as much as i malign WG sometimes, WoWS is at least self-sufficient and WG has a track record of supporting their ailing (WoP) products.

Firefall was just... Damn that game game so much potential. Complete dev failure. And even tho i consider WoWS a beta product, i thinknyour money is by and large safe.

Cool a fellow member of New Eden. I mainly played Firecat but also loved Mammoth and Nighthawk. But I had all the frames unlocked. 

Some of the best ways to blow of steam was getting my red BetaCry bike and blasting across the beaches and up the cliff roads. 

Or dropping a medium Tiki Thumper and going full Bastion turret mode all over the place. 

If you ever saw the Grumpy Firecat meme, that was me. 

:cap_cool:

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
3,261 battles
2 minutes ago, RedSeaBear said:

Cool a fellow member of New Eden. I mainly played Firecat but also loved Mammoth and Nighthawk. But I had all the frames unlocked. 

Some of the best ways to blow of steam was getting my red BetaCry bike and blasting across the beaches and up the cliff roads. 

Or dropping a medium Tiki Thumper and going full Bastion turret mode all over the place. 

If you ever saw the Grumpy Firecat meme, that was me. 

:cap_cool:

Single handedly holding towers against hordes of chosen. Ah, the life. Pretty sure i remember you. I had a sesame street The Count avatar and was a bit caustic toward the end.

But yeah. Firefall kind of scared me off toward spending money on early access and pre-releases.

[NDA]
Supertester
5,313 posts
16,276 battles
Just now, Mulletproof said:

Single handedly holding towers against hordes of chosen. Ah, the life. Pretty sure i remember you. I had a sesame street The Count avatar and was a bit caustic toward the end.

But yeah. Firefall kind of scared me off toward spending money on early access and pre-releases.

I once stopped the watch tower above Sunken Harbor from being taken by a Chosen team who teamed up with a Chosen Executioner team with only a single Firecat. So Much Fire. The Count avatar, seems vaguely familiar but I can forgive being caustic as it was painful watching such a fun game and great community die. 

I was an Ensign Founder and spent a lot of time testing and even promoting FF but than it all died. The Melding was kinder than the devs. 

This was me back than,

Spoiler

nKKUuli.png

[SYN]
Members
5,472 posts
12,704 battles

Early access?  That ship has long since sailed.  That's just a pitch to get people on Steam who've probably never seen the game to get onboard.

As far as versioning goes, there are no hard rules.  You can use versioning any way you wish, regardless of the state of the product.  As others have pointed out, it can be (and often is) used arbitrarily.  Afaik WG kept saying World of Tanks was "beta" for at least five or six years.  v0.5, v0.6, v0.7, etc...  Then when the game went "full release", instead of cycling up to Version 1.0, all they did was remove the first zero, so now instead of v0.9 it's just v9.

For WoWS, Closed Beta ended, I think, June of 2015 and Open Beta ended just several months later.  That was two years ago.  As far as I'm concerned this game is now officially released and is no longer a beta product, but, like many things, is continuing development.

Edited by Kuckoo

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,497 battles
12 hours ago, Xantek said:

But it's not final as it's still an "Early Access" game....let that sink in.

I was joking with my clanmates about this a couple days ago. Since we are in perpetual Beta shouldn't we get the Ark Beta? Good laughs about how the game has constantly changed with every patch.

[NLIST]
Members
129 posts
9,228 battles

It's always good to know that all this time, we were just WoWS/Steam lab rats :cap_haloween:

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,710 posts
22,019 battles
54 minutes ago, Xantek said:

It's always good to know that all this time, we were just WoWS/Steam lab rats :cap_haloween:

Shut up and eat yer cheese...... 

Members
11,026 posts
30,379 battles
On 11/11/2017 at 3:44 AM, nuttybiscuit said:

but all the tools that a player might need to gain an advantage in a battle are available for free.

*cough*belfastsaipankaganikolaimissouri*cough*.

*Ahem*, excuse me, reflex.

On 11/11/2017 at 1:58 AM, Snargfargle said:

A game that has been publicly played for two years is still in "early access"?

It's so that WG can dodge all criticism by saying that it's not a finished product.

[90TH]
[90TH]
Alpha Tester
9,803 posts
9,171 battles
Just now, issm said:

*cough*belfastsaipankaganikolaimissouri*cough*.

*Ahem*, excuse me, reflex.

It's so that WG can dodge all criticism by saying that it's not a finished product.

technically *cough* still true, premium ships, premium time, flags and more are available through the crates system, participation in the test server, weekly pve OPs, and much more. 

WG clearly states on Steal Steam that early access ends the 15th November.

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,154 posts
4,602 battles

I poked around on Steam last night.  (I already have an account.)  Found the WoWs page but could not find a way to actually start the client.  I guess we'll have to wait a few more days.

This point needs to be made loudly:

You can't play WoWs through Steam with your existing WG account. 

You have to start over with a new account.

Edited by iDuckman