You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
gledr

does it get better?????

41 comments in this topic

[AFK]
Members
77 posts
6,270 battles

so far coming from world of tanks I hate the pace of this game especially battleships. it wouldn't be so bad if the guns weren't so terrible. I probably have the worst rngesus of anyone. in a bb ill shoot 10 shells that where actually aimed in good the guy wasn't moving and wasn't far, all or 8 of the shells will miss 1 will overpen and one will bounce. Its his fughing broadside how can half my shells go past and the other half over, I AIMED .5KM ahead and when my shells hit the water behind him I double checked. I aimed for 10.8 km and my shells where short by the time he was at 10.3 km. how can I undershoot by half a kilometer.

Rng is trolling me hard other bbs at the same distance will do 10k when I'm facing straight at them but I hit them broadside with ap and only do 4k     If anyone has played wot it feels like my guns past 5km are conqueror gun carriages and only listen if I sacrifice 5 virgins

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
4,237 posts
19,008 battles

If you want more "WoT-like" action try DD or CL. Much more enjoyable...

[SALVO]
Members
23,816 posts
24,406 battles

You've played so few  battles that you're probably in low tier ships, which are notoriously inaccurate.  As you go up in tiers, the ships become increasingly accurate.  Also, BB's are less accurate than other ships types because they hit so hard.  It's a game balance thing.  If BBs had the accuracy of cruisers, they'd smash every cruiser in sight so quickly that no one would ever want to play a  cruiser ever again.  Heck, as it is already, some whiners ... I mean, players ... complain about cruisers being too poorly protected, in spite of the fact that they're probably armored in a fairly historical manner.  After all, if cruisers were as well protected as BB's, they'd BE battleships!!!

As for the pace of play with BB's, what do you expect?  if their guns were made to fire unrealistically faster, corresponding changes to DD's would have their guns firing so fast that they'd look like full auto machine guns!  BB's require patience.  They're sort of like playing in a tier 10 British TD in WoT, massive gun with a low RoF.  But if you can't get a handle on playing BB's, I'd suggest switching over to cruisers or destroyers.

Anyways, good luck and have patience.  BB's can be very fun if you have the patience to play them.

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,818 posts
4,361 battles

Short Answer: Depends.

Long Answer: Depends on what battleship line you're on, and what battleship you currently playing.

• American BBs - Middle-of-the-road accuracy, strong AA, and relatively balanced. Good shells at T9 and T10.
  • Japanese BBs - Highest average accuracy in-game per tier, longest average range per tier, middle-of-the-pack secondary ranges, and has Yamato at T10. Setbacks include massive vulnerability to broadsides/citadels.
  • German BBs - Poor accuracy, strong secondaries starting from T7 onwards. Highly vulnerable to torpedoes, and also poor maneuverability in the high tiers.
  • British BBs - Filthy firebombers, AP strong vs cruisers and DDs, decent vs BB decks, better rudder shift than other lines, stealthy at higher tiers. Lacks armor at higher tiers, but makes up for it with Hyper Repair Party.

Of course, at low tiers, there's not much variety; they all have derpy accuracy until T5 (special exceptions for certain Premiums).

Edited by YamatoA150
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
23,816 posts
24,406 battles
1 minute ago, Khafni said:

If you want more "WoT-like" action try DD or CL. Much more enjoyable...

I don't know if I'd call it "much more enjoyable".  I would say that if one likes faster action, that person would probably prefer the play style of destroyers or cruisers.  I play all ship types and find that they're all enjoyable in their own way.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
251 posts
1,470 battles
16 minutes ago, smf117 said:

Most guys coming from Wot don't like WoWs but yes. It gets better.

I came from WOT and I think this game is far better. Like, who thought it was a good idea to make it so that when I have a good game in a T6 in WOT, I earn, like, 4k credits, where as in WOWS a good game in a T6 often nets me 140k or what not. Like, seriously? I get everything is 4x or something more expensive than WOT, but why do they earn like, 2% of the credits we earn then? :Smile_facepalm:

Anyways... the game gets far better as you move up in the tiers. Most notably I will say the American DDs. It's of course by preference, but if you're looking for a more fast paced kind of play style where you're scouting and grabbing caps for your team and out DPMing DDs that try to hunt you, the Americans you'll find could be a lotta fun for you! That being said, DDs are probably the most fun to play if you're looking for constant action. Plus, they'll help you perfect your aim at long range because starting at T5 on wards with the Nicholas, you get crazy arcs that fire over mountains. The slow travel speed will allow you to watch where your shells land and because of your reload, show you how to aim more precisely.

Supertester, Alpha Tester
6,051 posts

A stationary tank, firing a single shell, at a stationary target, from a range of less than two kilometers, should not be a good predictor, of the performance of a moving battle ship, firing multiple shells, from multiple turrets, at a moving target, from a range of more than ten kilometers.

If it was you would be playing the same game. A game I would not be playing.

The accuracy of the guns in World of Warships has been modified from what you would find in a real warship. It's been improved. Real warships had a hit percentage of something like 2%.

The sooner you stop expecting the game to play like tanks at sea, the sooner you will enjoy the game.

Tanks is a fine game. Warships is a fine game. They are not the same game.

• Cool 5

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,177 posts
4,602 battles
51 minutes ago, gledr said:

Blah blah.  Are you my clone?  I played Tier IV Myogi tonight (desperately grinding past it) and did not hit the broad side of any barn offered (and there were lots).  Wotta failed POS.

WoT and WoWs are very different animals.  In WoWs the gun hit isn't as important as the tactical positioning you develop.  It's not so much about this shot as it is about the next shot(s).

Coming up on the Army/Navy game, this is one of the differences between the two allied services. Brothers though they may be, neither really understands the other because the contexts are so different.

Edited by iDuckman

[HC]
Beta Testers
2,471 posts
11,958 battles

If you haven't already, go into settings, under controls, and turn on "Alternate Interface Mode" This will give you the time of flight for your shells to whatever point your crosshairs are on. There's various guides for aiming that will based on.

• Cool 1

[CNO]
Members
5,305 posts
16,632 battles

A few things to know.

As others have noted above, in the earlier tiers, the BB accuracy is really all over the place.  The guns are just too powerful and the early tier scales are really compressed.  Accuracy and distances increase as the tiers go up.  So from an accuracy standpoint, yes, it gets better.  But keep in mind, the other classes ALSO get better.  Better HE in the CAs..or smoke.  Better torps.  Yada yada.  So while a top tier BB can erase a CA in one salvo (the instant delete many complain about), the CAs can often burn BBs down from places of near immunity (behind islands or in smoke)...which is the flip side of the complaint.

As for the ranges, two things to keep in mind.  The shoot view and the normal view are NOT THE SAME SCALE.  The shoot view is significantly compressed and SCALED based on the target you have locked.  So where the splashes occur in the shoot view are NOT where they occur in the normal view.  Also, if you have one ship locked and shoot at a different target, the shot can be way off.  That's because the shoot location is based on the scaled view of the locked ship, NOT the targeted ship.  In effect, the ocean you see in the shoot view of the locked ship is not the same as the ocean you see of the targeted ship even though the two locations may share the same pixels on your screen.  Make sure the ship you are targeting is also your locked ship.  

[KP]
Members
2,066 posts
22,551 battles
2 hours ago, gledr said:

so far coming from world of tanks I hate the pace of this game especially battleships. it wouldn't be so bad if the guns weren't so terrible. I probably have the worst rngesus of anyone. in a bb ill shoot 10 shells that where actually aimed in good the guy wasn't moving and wasn't far, all or 8 of the shells will miss 1 will overpen and one will bounce. Its his fughing broadside how can half my shells go past and the other half over, I AIMED .5KM ahead and when my shells hit the water behind him I double checked. I aimed for 10.8 km and my shells where short by the time he was at 10.3 km. how can I undershoot by half a kilometer.

Rng is trolling me hard other bbs at the same distance will do 10k when I'm facing straight at them but I hit them broadside with ap and only do 4k     If anyone has played wot it feels like my guns past 5km are conqueror gun carriages and only listen if I sacrifice 5 virgins

Get to the Konig and enjoy god like accuracy for a lower tier BB. The Brit BB's at 3 and 4 are also fairly accurate for low tier. Anything Japanese at low tier will make you want to deep throat a 9mil out of disgust but Kongo gets better. Give it a bit more time and install the training room. 

[NSC]
Members
267 posts
6,969 battles
6 hours ago, AllysaRockz said:

I came from WOT and I think this game is far better. Like, who thought it was a good idea to make it so that when I have a good game in a T6 in WOT, I earn, like, 4k credits, where as in WOWS a good game in a T6 often nets me 140k or what not. Like, seriously? I get everything is 4x or something more expensive than WOT, but why do they earn like, 2% of the credits we earn then? :Smile_facepalm:

Yeah, they are a little really tight fisted with the exp and credits in WoT.

• Cool 1

[SYN]
[SYN]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
30,523 posts
5,493 battles
7 hours ago, gledr said:

At lower tiers BBs can't hit the broadside of a barn at 200 meters. As time progresses BBs get more accurate and get bigger guns. So give it time. Want more tanks style pacing, get cruisers. Though they are floating citadels with low armor so....

You want tanks style pacing, go back to tanks.

• Cool 1

Members
5,076 posts
9,033 battles

You've played so few  battles that you're probably in low tier ships, which are notoriously inaccurate.

Not to mention few captain skills...

[VVV]
Members
341 posts
8 hours ago, gledr said:

Would you base you opinion of how wot tanks play on tier 1 battles?

Just like in tanks, ships game play changes around tier 5 and again around tier 8. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
1,585 posts
10,133 battles

Yep, it happens.   And will continue to happen as you progress up.    There will be plenty of folks who will be insta-deleted or multi-citadeled from your shots.    Likewise, RNGesus will grant favor to the red guy from time to time.

You can do everything right, and still miss.    Nothing like having a cruiser pop from behind a mountain 7km from you and full broadside, and your shots be like...

Swing and a miss.gif

• Cool 1

Members
4,729 posts
8,265 battles
8 hours ago, gledr said:

I don't play BBs for the very reasons you mention. I sure do not begrudge anyone who plays them and have great respect for players that play them well but as for me the slower pace of BBs just kinda bores me. I play mostly cruisers. Faster pace and lots of shooting with their higher ROF and I like that. Perhaps I would have better numbers if I got good in BBs but that is not a big deal with me. I like the action in cruisers. As several have said if the pace of play in BBs is a thing you hate why not give cruisers a go? They can be a challenge however but I actually like that.  You can get dead pretty quick in them if you are not alert but doing a good job in a match in one of my cruisers is, for me, quite rewarding. Some cruisers are quite good and some frankly kinda suck.  Take a look at the data site Warships Today and check out the high win cruisers.....play those.  Lotta FUN IMO.

Edited by dmckay

[WOLFG]
Members
26,660 posts
6,731 battles

One thing to keep in mind too, when comparing gameplay of the two games, is the weapons platforms in terms of an FPS.

Tanks are fit soldiers in light body armor, carrying an SMG, assault rifle, or sniper rifle.

Ships are morbidly obese people in ordnance disposal gear, carrying shotguns.

Battleships hit with, on average, 20-25% of the shells they fire in game. That's ten times better than RL, just for perspective.

[VCRUZ]
Members
3,679 posts
8,895 battles

There is no way to compare ships and tanks, thats a mistake many players make. 

[4HIM]
Members
2,839 posts
10,289 battles

Also depends on which BB and what you were shooting at.  Some low tier BB's are pretty bad.  IMO, the Kawachi is the worst.  At times I felt like it couldn't hit the broad side of a barn even with the barn draped over the barrel muzzle. 

And if you're shooting at DD's broadside, you're most likely to just get an over pen.  Even on some CL's if you hit them in certain spots. 

[WOLF9]
Privateers
12,177 posts
4,602 battles

I started on the French cruiser line last night.  (Bougainville is fun!)  There you have a different problem.  Accuracy is great! but you can hit the enemy ship over and over and over and it doesn't die. 

Beta Testers
1,136 posts
3,261 battles
11 hours ago, gledr said:

Ive always maintained the craptastic low tier dispersion was possibly the worst way to introduce new players to a line of ships.

It does get better, but expext to slog through at least tier six before it does.

[SALVO]
Members
23,816 posts
24,406 battles
2 hours ago, Xlap said:

There is no way to compare ships and tanks, thats a mistake many players make. 

I won't go quite this far.  I think that some of the things one learns in WoT can carry over to WoWS.  But those lessons tend to be more on the macro level, rather than the micro level.  For example, a lesson I learned in WoT which carries over to WoWS is that if you want to get better, want to see your stats improve, etc., you need to stay alive as long as possible, while contributing as much as possible.  That is a macro lesson that has little to do with the details of either game and remains true in each game.  Another lesson that's a bit more micro in nature is that armor angling matters in WoWS, just like it can in WoT.

[SALVO]
Members
23,816 posts
24,406 battles
1 hour ago, Mulletproof said:

Ive always maintained the craptastic low tier dispersion was possibly the worst way to introduce new players to a line of ships.

It does get better, but expect to slog through at least tier six before it does.

But the reality is that battleships have the worst dispersion, and low tier BBs have the worst dispersion of all battleships.

Arguably, the best thing a new player can do is learn how to play the game with cruisers rather than BB's.  Why?  BB's do have bad accuracy at low tiers, though with their armor they are forgiving of mistakes.  OTOH, cruisers generally have pretty good accuracy but are much less forgiving of mistakes.  In short, there's no panacea here.