Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_Hav0k

What's a good average damage for each tier?

30 comments in this topic

Members
10 posts
86 battles

Sorry, newbie question. Just wondering.. because if I actually wanna "git gud", I gotta know what to aim for. Thanks in advance!

[WOLF6]
Members
686 posts
3,933 battles

I think it’s ship specific

you can go to wows-numbers to see the average damage for each ship.

For example for the St. Louis the average damage is 21500. To place in top 5% damage you need to deal 38500 damage.

Edited by wtfovr

[APOC-]
Beta Testers
328 posts
4,076 battles

Google warships.today

They have averages for each individual ship. 

Each class amd ship will have very different values so the is no one set of numbers for each tier.

[5BS]
Members
4,987 posts

I'd argue at nearly all tiers good average damage should be in the 55-65k range, but the reality is that the 'adjusted' average damage should be far closer to 100k at nearly all tiers (baring say, the bottom 4).

[HINON]
Members
9,317 posts

It varies quite a bit depending on the ship class, and the individual ship. You would need to look at the average for that particular ship. Some players tend to say you should average more damage than your total hit points in that ship but it isnt a hard and fast rule.

[FG]
Members
398 posts
3,716 battles

Don't worry so much about how much damage total you are doing, but rather what ships that damage is dealt to and how that affects the game. 

For example: 20k damage to destroyers is huge compared to a similar damage amount dealt to battleships. 

Members
2,320 posts
6,546 battles

my personal goal is to do at least as much damage as my ship has HP. if you can do that much or more... than you're ahead.

[-I-]
Members
1,719 posts
10,830 battles
25 minutes ago, 212thAttackBattalion said:

my personal goal is to do at least as much damage as my ship has HP. if you can do that much or more... than you're ahead.

That's fine as a personal goal, but that isn't really considered "good", especially at top tiers for non-BB classes. If someone is averaging less than 20k in a high tier DD, 40-45k in a CA, or however many hit points a Taiho/Essex/Midway/Hak has in damage, they're likely not winning many games. It does apply pretty well for BBs though, pretty much top to bottom.

But OP, like others have said, there isn't really a set guide for tier damage, as it's entirely dependent on the ship class you're in. If you're just aiming to at least pull your own weight, I'd say it's something like 2x your DDs hitpoints in damage, 1.4x your CAs, and 1x your BBs. As an extremely general guideline; also assuming you're not making bad plays just for the sake of hitting that much damage.

Edited by dngrcnnn
  • Cool 1

Members
2,320 posts
6,546 battles
1 minute ago, dngrcnnn said:

But OP, like others have said, there isn't really a set guide for tier damage, as it's entirely dependent on the ship class you're in. If you're just aiming to at least pull your own weight, I'd say it's something like 2x your DDs hitpoints in damage, 1.4x your CAs, and 1x your BBs. As an extremely general guideline; also assuming you're not making bad plays just for the sake of hitting that much damage.

big thing there, don't screw your team to get a set amount of damage.... some of my best games have been low damage affairs but have spotted, radared, capped and tanked hard.

[PSP]
Members
6,649 posts
9,622 battles

Essentially, if you inflict damage greater than your ship's hitpoints then you are carrying your own weight. Even if you don't, if you are supporting your team in other ways you are carrying your own weight. For instance, sometimes it might be better for a carrier driver to use his planes to keep the enemy spotted and to take out low-hitpoint flanking DDs, rather than just try to farm maximum damage on battleships.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
6,868 posts
4,189 battles

It depends very much on the ship and what you're hitting.

If you're a Khab and you do 75k that's not a very good game. If you're a Gearing and you do 75k and get a couple caps that's good.

If you're a HIV and do 150k damage with 130k of that to BBs it's not an especially good game. If you're a Des Moines and do 75k damage with 30k done to a cruiser and the other 45k done to DDs that is a solid game.  Especially if you get good milage out of your radar and AA.

You can get a good sense of how you're doing in a ship by checking your average damage against the average in a ship on warships. Today or one of the other stat sites.

That said, don't pay nearly as much attention to your damage as your win rate. It's easy to pad your damage playing like a moron. It's not possible to pad your win rate being stupid.

Members
825 posts
13,665 battles
8 hours ago, _RC1138 said:

I'd argue at nearly all tiers good average damage should be in the 55-65k range, but the reality is that the 'adjusted' average damage should be far closer to 100k at nearly all tiers (baring say, the bottom 4).

Go average 100k in a Benson, which is really a DD hunter. Then come back to us about it

[PVE]
Members
445 posts
9,313 battles

I look at it like this: Cruiser and Battleship- try to do your hit points amount of damage. That way nobody has to cover for you

DD and CV is a bit more complicated. There are other factors like scouting and defending caps. 

[PVE]
Members
445 posts
9,313 battles

And there is the occasional match where you get stuck dueling DD's in a cruiser or DD.

You defend the caps or even sink the DD's but only end up with say 18,000 damage but have crippled the red team.

It's situational so don't stress over damage numbers.

• Cool 1

[TDRB]
Members
1,302 posts
4,972 battles

The troubles of using mods..... instant Karma.  Look for the easy path and fall of the steady one. 

It's not hard really, aim...fire...yet people look for these free advantage tools and viola!!! Boogy men in the system.

What free advantages??? I haven't seen anything close to being a free advantage. Please enlighten us. 

Do you have anti-virus & malware protection on your computer?

[BROOK]
Members
1,628 posts
On 11/10/2017 at 8:37 PM, Feminist said:

BB/CA: take the tier and multiply it by 10000

DD: multiply tier by 7500

LOL This makes no sense at all.

Here are the real stats:

image.png.a22bb2bd11f81cec9a804651111fda6b.png

[SUCIT]
Members
910 posts
3,857 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 11:14 PM, Space_Ape_Marksman said:

Sorry, newbie question. Just wondering.. because if I actually wanna "git gud", I gotta know what to aim for. Thanks in advance!

For your first few hundred battles focus on just being better than you were last game.  Don't really worry about stats, it will just lead to aggravation. 

To answer your question though, it varies greatly by ship type and which ship.  Look at Warships.Today or na.wows-numbers.com to find ship averages.

Members
1,072 posts
5,047 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 11:14 PM, Space_Ape_Marksman said:

Damage is a ship specific stat.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,839 battles

First goal, take out more hit points than you bring in.

Second take out the equivalent amount of hit points of the highest ship.

Between those 2 makes an average damage for almost every ship, and is easy to see in game during play.

Carrying a game would be adding the hit points in of those killed early on, and/or those hiding and not doing any damage.

[VIP-2]
Members
804 posts
2,839 battles
On 11/10/2017 at 9:14 PM, Space_Ape_Marksman said:

because if I actually wanna "git gud", I gotta know what to aim for.

Getn gud isnt all about damage. A low damage strike to a finish an opponent can take guns off the map. Capping means point income while attacking/defending. Spotting in a dd or cv, so that others can deal their alpha damage strikes can be game winning.

Start with aim, once you can citadel or capitalize with proper location/ammo, then concentrate harder on positioning, then on tactical objectives, then (optional) concentrate on win rate, so you can tell others to git gud.

Expect really decent understanding of how to play to take at least 2000 battles. Although i have seen players with 5-8k who still dont.

Members
2,134 posts
4,850 battles

When I am in a cruiser, a very solid game to me would be one where I can deal at least twice my HP in damage. For example, the Pensacola has 34300 HP in its current version. A solid game for me would be one where I deal at least 68-69k in damage, kills included. It's not that hard to do as long as I'm not playing on Fridays and weekends or just having a bad day. In a battleship, I use around X1.5 as a rule of thumb for determining good games. For example, if a ship like the New Mexico has 53200 HP, a very solid game for me would be where I deal at least 80k in damage. Now I am only speaking from the perspective of a high average to slightly above average player. For dark blue and purple players the benchmark could be significantly higher. For example, I would consider a 120-130k damage at mid-tier (in a cruiser / BB) to be very satisfying, but to a much better player it could be just another match of the day. As it has already been mentioned, I also check the averages for different ships on Warships Today. However, for ships with a relatively small sample size in terms of battles played, the numbers could be somewhat inflated.

Edited by Zionas

Sign in to follow this